Unpopular opinions

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Re: Unpopular opinions

Post by Iron adam » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Blixie wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:05 pm Brushing your teeth happens BEFORE breakfast not after it.
before and after...

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 pm

People who ask for scam refunds are trying to make someone else pay for their mistakes.

Justin
Champion

Post by Justin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Rapsey wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 pm People who ask for scam refunds are trying to make someone else pay for their mistakes.
Not gonna lie that's the most ignorant thing I've ever seen you post.
Then again maybe I'm generalizing scamming and you're refering solely to pkhonor refunds.
Still.. I think most scam cases are due too people taking advantage of one another and surely one could say the one taking advantage is the one making a mistake.
So most of the time who ends up hacing too pay for it? The scammer.. correct me if I'm wrong though

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:07 pm

Justin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm
Rapsey wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 pm People who ask for scam refunds are trying to make someone else pay for their mistakes.
Not gonna lie that's the most ignorant thing I've ever seen you post.
Then again maybe I'm generalizing scamming and you're refering solely to pkhonor refunds.
Still.. I think most scam cases are due too people taking advantage of one another and surely one could say the one taking advantage is the one making a mistake.
So most of the time who ends up hacing too pay for it? The scammer.. correct me if I'm wrong though
From the perspective of staff, which is where I think he's coming from, there's almost no situation in which some can get scammed or hacked and it not be their fault.

Don't reuse passwords, don't share your passwords, don't loan items, pay attention to the rules of a stake, stuff like that.

So if I don't pay attention to this, loan an item to a mate and he stakes it loses it and then logs out and quits. I then make a refund. What are the options here? They take it back from the person who fairly won it? That's make them pay.

Spawn another one? Even ignoring the lying and misuse potential of that, you're making the server pay as a whole over time by introducing items that shouldn't be there.

I don't speak for Rapsey but this is my interpretation.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:14 pm

Justin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm Not gonna lie that's the most ignorant thing I've ever seen you post.
Yeah, it's definitely an unpopular opinion.

I don't see it that black-or-white of course. There is a huge spectrum of scams ranging from pure carelessness on the victim's part to complex schemes which no one could be expected to spot. The extent of the losses also matters to me. You can't compare someone who got their naivity or good-heartedness preyed on to get scammed out of their life savings to someone who let their greed trick them into betting $10 on a shell switching game.

But if we are talking about carelessness (such as clicking accept without looking) and the losses are minor then yea. In those case I do think it's more honorable for a victim to say "damn, that was stupid of me and now I lost some" than to burden someone else with it so they can escape any consequences.

With some people it just seems like as soon as they do something stupid they want someone else to fix it for them. Personally I think there is merit in taking responsibility for yourself,, but definitely not in all cases.

tl;dr: I overgeneralized to make for a more effective quote.

Justin
Champion

Post by Justin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:39 pm

Rapsey wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:14 pm
Justin wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm Not gonna lie that's the most ignorant thing I've ever seen you post.
tl;dr: I overgeneralized to make for a more effective quote.
I could imagine asking myself "do I really have to give this guy a refund" or something along those lines doing refunds.

I guess in that sense what it really depenends from situation to situation. Scamming is a combination of carelesness and trust.

If you're really careless and screaming to get scammed you could kind of say you're asking to get scammed but to me it seems morally wrong to say that to someone who might've just given someone the benefit of doubt and ended up being taken advantage of they made a mistake.. I feel really double about this because the reality is that they did make a mistake.
But let's say your (just putting a value on it) 500 dollar elysian shield that you lent to a good friend gets scammed by your good friend.
Your mistake is basically to try and be good and help someone. If you only see the good in people you end up being taken advantage of.
Seems like a hard pill to swallow that you lost your elysian to a friend. because you lose the elysian, you lose your friend and the reality that elysian was more valuable to your friend than you or perhaps what attracted them. ( bit dramatised.. eh.. lol)

I don't know maybe most scams are due to stupidity but I see it as a great feature of service being able to post a refund.

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:34 am

Let's keep it fun and not a discussion about scam/refunds.
Unpopular opinion: The US is not the greatest country in the world.

Monys
Forum Addict

Post by Monys » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:35 am

Thierryu1 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:34 am Let's keep it fun and not a discussion about scam/refunds.
Haha reported

Remember to ::vote for "Mony" ingame

Proud member of PkHonor

Senior Moderator

Post by 026 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:58 am

Thierryu1 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:34 am Let's keep it fun and not a discussion about scam/refunds.
This one isn't unpopular bro.

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:12 am

I miss playing with @Monys