ultra rares again?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Isaac
Honor Player

Re: ultra rares again?

Post by Isaac » Mon May 25, 2020 3:04 pm

It's hardly market manipulation unless a guy with 50t is doing it on their own. My guess is a whole bunch of individual players are hoarding credits. The likelihood that they are working together is nil to none. Therefore they will still compete to offload credits when a rare sale comes about.

Tbh I never saw this going any other way than credits were going to get hoarded in anticipation for rare releases. Especially given the amount of profit some people made from the last few releases.

I should add, all merching is at the mercher's own risk. For example, someone hoarding mahogany planks as they steadily increase in price. Rev caves drops, mahogany planks flood the eco, margin and money gone. Same thing could happen for donator credits, Mike and Rapsey decided to keep 'discs' in the shop permanently. Credits crash, margin and money gone.

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Brant wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm So your telling me market manipulation is a tactic? Yeah OK. The whole idea with these rare sells was to try to make them more affordable for the people who weren't there from the beginning of time. If the rich people just stock up on credits and buy all of the rares out, then what point does it serve? The only people that would profit would be those that have the money for so many donate credits, like @Will be ok2 I know for a fact that he is just doing this to boost his wealth and doesn't care about any other person that he can merch this off of.
Personally, the whole idea of having rares is stupid in my opinion. Take legends cape for example. This cape is very common among other servers. When a new player joins and sees that the cape is 1t+ there first respond isn't, OH wow I wanna grind out 1t so I can get this cape. No, it's more on the lines of, 1t for a fucking cape? This server is shit. Wtf is a common cape going for so much. There's a reason for why osrs didn't produce any rare items in there, it's because they learn that pointless items would eventually become worth so much it doesn't make any sense, just like party hats are in rs3.

If you guys actually end up going through with this, I recommend making the price for these items (current trade price / 3m) as that's the value of a credit.

Tldr: idea of rares is stupid, people will easily merch other people, make the price current trade value/3m

We’ve been down this road before, this sale is not something new, however it gets changed every time it happens to make it more practical and beneficial for the economy.

These sales are multi purposeful and an overall good idea, it boosts donations for a short while allowing the owners to get more funding to sustain the server. It allows people in game to make more money in game by donating (more value for their $). Allows people to have a long term investment In 2 senses I.e. buy credits for market value 3-3.5M each then hold them for 6 months and buy an ultra rare(s). Aswell as buying these ultra rares for their price post release then holding onto them while they gain value.

Nobody would buy ultra rares in the shop if they were based off of 3-3.5M per credit at market value. I.e. legends in donator shop for 350K credits 1,25T approx.

Also one of the biggest reasons for these sales IMO is that ultra rares that are unobtainable currently and previously change and become a practical item someone can achieve with normal gameplay. I.e previous to last rare sale legends were 4T and you couldn’t get one for less, now there is one in GE for 1.4T.
You currently can’t buy init set for less then 5T. Let’s see the set get lowered to 1.5T post sale.

Tezey
Honor Player

Post by Tezey » Mon May 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Will be ok2 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pm
Brant wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm So your telling me market manipulation is a tactic? Yeah OK. The whole idea with these rare sells was to try to make them more affordable for the people who weren't there from the beginning of time. If the rich people just stock up on credits and buy all of the rares out, then what point does it serve? The only people that would profit would be those that have the money for so many donate credits, like @Will be ok2 I know for a fact that he is just doing this to boost his wealth and doesn't care about any other person that he can merch this off of.
Personally, the whole idea of having rares is stupid in my opinion. Take legends cape for example. This cape is very common among other servers. When a new player joins and sees that the cape is 1t+ there first respond isn't, OH wow I wanna grind out 1t so I can get this cape. No, it's more on the lines of, 1t for a fucking cape? This server is shit. Wtf is a common cape going for so much. There's a reason for why osrs didn't produce any rare items in there, it's because they learn that pointless items would eventually become worth so much it doesn't make any sense, just like party hats are in rs3.

If you guys actually end up going through with this, I recommend making the price for these items (current trade price / 3m) as that's the value of a credit.

Tldr: idea of rares is stupid, people will easily merch other people, make the price current trade value/3m

We’ve been down this road before, this sale is not something new, however it gets changed every time it happens to make it more practical and beneficial for the economy.

These sales are multi purposeful and an overall good idea, it boosts donations for a short while allowing the owners to get more funding to sustain the server. It allows people in game to make more money in game by donating (more value for their $). Allows people to have a long term investment In 2 senses I.e. buy credits for market value 3-3.5M each then hold them for 6 months and buy an ultra rare(s). Aswell as buying these ultra rares for their price post release then holding onto them while they gain value.

Nobody would buy ultra rares in the shop if they were based off of 3-3.5M per credit at market value. I.e. legends in donator shop for 350K credits 1,25T approx.

Also one of the biggest reasons for these sales IMO is that ultra rares that are unobtainable currently and previously change and become a practical item someone can achieve with normal gameplay. I.e previous to last rare sale legends were 4T and you couldn’t get one for less, now there is one in GE for 1.4T.
You currently can’t buy init set for less then 5T. Let’s see the set get lowered to 1.5T post sale.
Hate to be that kid but I could pretty much get anything and I've never staked or donated meaning they're not unobtainable with "normal" gameplay.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 pm

Tezey wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:59 pm Hate to be that kid but I could pretty much get anything and I've never staked or donated meaning they're not unobtainable with "normal" gameplay.
merching scum!

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:21 am

Tezey wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:59 pm Hate to be that kid but I could pretty much get anything and I've never staked or donated meaning they're not unobtainable with "normal" gameplay.
I love your bank

Lykos
Premium Donator

Post by Lykos » Tue May 26, 2020 5:44 am

I agree with this 100%.
But no server is perfect. OSRS isn't perfect. Everything must have a flaw.
Pkhonor's flaw is neglect and irresponsibility of discontinued items.
Brant wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm 1t for a fucking cape? This server is shit.
Believe me when I say that the cape of legends is my all-time favorite Runescape item. If it weren't for the amazing devs, quality updates, community, and overall fluid private server experience... I would've left this server years ago saying the exact same thing.
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:04 pm

I think maybe flippers could be replaced by something like a white chefs chat, keep flippers for a different upcoming sale maybe. But I have noticed there are ALOT of credits in eco, for this to have a positive effect on the donation side of the server it should probably be something that happens sooner not later. I also can understand how someone could view this as me just trying to push for this for personal reasons because like I stated I’ve got credits hoarded however it’s still base on the integrity of the sale + benefitting the server.

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:08 pm

Brant wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm The only people that would profit would be those that have the money for so many donate credits, like @Will be ok2
And every player who actually donated so he could get all his credits
Brant wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm I know for a fact that he is just doing this to boost his wealth and doesn't care about any other person that he can merch this off of.
Can't disagree, of course he's doing this for his own benefit. If he truly cared about the "integrity of the sale + benefitting the server" he would never try and manipulate what should be in the next sale by saying "don't sell x, sell y" when they're both rares and no reason why 1 should be prioritized over another.

He continues to act as if he cares by saying "for this to have a positive effect on the donation side of the server it should probably be something that happens sooner not later", after Rapsey already told him he himself doesn't know when it would be, and if anyone were to tell someone with hoarded credits behind closed doors when the next sale would be, what items, and for how much, it could easily be seen as setting them up to profit the most over the next guy. That player would have the advantage of knowing when to stop buying, for how much to buy/sell their credits for, and when to be on for the release.

At the end of the day, PKHonor is a free market (to a degree), and some players will gain enough wealth to run it. We rely on management to monitor that it just doesn't get too out of hand. Realistically, anyone who was in @Will be ok2 position would have done the same.

Example: Re-releasing discontinued items in some form to not crash the market, but bring it to where it was.
Brant wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm If you guys actually end up going through with this, I recommend making the price for these items (current trade price / 3m) as that's the value of a credit.
When these donations were first released I was honestly hoping it'd be similar to this idea, mainly because it was to incentivize donations the days of the sale. It's turned into players preparing for it by hoarding credits to buy out the day of. I could see how the way it is would benefit the server more though.

If you give players the idea that hoarding credits will gain you x amount of bills, then any player with a nice bank will buy credits for more than their average cost, leading to more players getting more gp for their $ and will donate throughout those +6 months. You only put 500k credits worth of items for sale, but players have bought (collectively) 1 million credits. The donator got more bang for their buck their buck throughout the +6 months awaiting the sale, and players who hoarded the credits get to make their money on their investments, but not everyone gets the chance to buy items if more players try to do what you did.
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:21 pm

@Thearlygamer I think there is a scuffed understand of why I’m suggesting this, am I going to profit off of the release of ultra rares? Yes. Is there others who will profits much more then me? Yes. Would people continue to hoard credits in understanding they’ll make money regardless if I’m involved or not? Yes. For anyone to think I haven’t been speaking to rapsey in regards to the sale and that I didn’t speak to him about making this thread PRIOR to me making it well, you’re just ignorant to the way I work. I wouldn’t OUTLINE specific items and specific prices if I hadn’t already talked to Rapsey about it. In regards to exactly how firm he is on these items/prices and If they will or won’t be these exact items/prices that’ll be for him to decided and reveal to everyone.

Side note; I’m already rich in game, I don’t need this sale to happen anytime soon or let alone at all, I’m worried that if the sale doesn’t happen soon enough that it will have little to no effect on donations because the 3M+ donator credits in the eco currently and no respectful sale will be able to combat the volume of credits currently in the eco let alone give a reason to push a good volume of new donations. (Which is the entire point to push donations to sustain the server + attract more players).

Also, it’s definitely not just me who is hoarding credits, the majority of players with 1-2T + banks have bulk credits aswell some people up to 1M credits.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:08 am

Late to this topic, but I think there's been some good discussion.

Couple key remarks:

1) Self serving nature of this post.
Calling this out is ad hominem, the point of the discussion still can center around how this is beneficial to the server despite the fact that this can be seen as apparent opportunism. Calling it out is interesting, but serves little to no purpose in deciding whether or not we want to sell more rares. It's not like Will be Ok is going to buy every single ultra rare that comes out.

2) How this benefits the server, and how it can be improved
Rapsey already did a pretty good job of detailing how it helps keep the server alive, and conveyed a willingness to keep doing it so long as it serves its purposes (giving newer players access to these items, keeping servers up and running). It's important to note that having access to an item is not the same as actually obtaining it - the purpose is to give an opportunity, not to ensure that it happens. If we want to ensure that players can get ultra rares, we should make it a 1 in 1,000,000,000 drop or something for all monsters. Maybe we'd get one a year that way, and it would be a nice way to keep the item in the hearts and minds of players without hiding it behind a paywall. Food for thought.

That being said... like all things, it can be improved. I do think that we should cater the next sale towards ultra rares that are traded the least or have the smallest economic presence. This includes items that don't even exist anymore, like the d kite. We also have the old santa armors and custom partyhats that could be thrown into the mix. For a while I thought it may feel like we're going back to custom items, but even OSRS has introduced so many options for fashionscape that I don't honestly believe it would appear unprofessional or childish anymore. If we were to introduce newer items, aside from the d kite I think many could be sold in a larger volume for a smaller price per unit. We could just add new tradeable AND untradeable cosmetics to the donator store alltogether, but make them limited in supply. Reducing the cost per item but increasing the frequency at which is it added into the economy would provide a more consistent way to make smaller donations that would presumably add up over time. It would also reduce the dependency on having bi-annual sales of ultra rares, which we could then have more wiggle room with making better sales for.

These are just ideas that I think can be built on. Raising frequency of limited sales but lower the quantity of ultra rares and/or introducing limited supplies of new cosmetics.