Who should be able to start a CoX raid?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Mike
Programmer

Who should be able to start a CoX raid?

Post by Mike » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:38 pm

As the development of the Chambers of Xeric progresses, one issue that's been bothering me lately is who should be able to start a CoX raid. I'm not quite sure how it works in OSRS (so correct me if I'm wrong), but as far as I can tell, the owner of a clan is the only person who can create a raid party (at the recruitment board outside the chambers). Then, as he enters the first room of the raid, other clan members can join him. When the leader proceeds beyond the first room, noone else can join anymore and the mechanics of the raid are calculated.

In my initial implementation a while ago, I had made the raids as such that anyone inside a clan can create a new raid party, provided there are no raid parties within that clan chat yet. He then also becomes the leader of that party.

However, I believe some issues may arise with this approach. A troll inside a clan chat could create a new party and then decide not to do anything with it, forcing other clan members to join another CC if they want to start a raid. So I think it would be best to limit the capability of a clan member to start a new raid party or at least add some safeguards to protect against trolls.

One possibility is that someone needs to have a minimum rank within a CC to start a raid party. A second possibility is that, once a party is made, you only have a couple of minutes before you have to actually start the raid. If you don't start the raid in time, your party will be automatically disbanded.

I honestly don't know what would be the best - and least frustrating - way to organize raid parties, so I figured it would be best to ask our community. Who do you think should be able to start a raid party and what restrictions should we put in place to ensure a hassle-free raiding experience?

Iron ruby
Premium Donator

Re: Who should be able to start a CoX raid?

Post by Iron ruby » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Can we not just do it how osrs does it?

James
Premium Donator

Post by James » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Probably best to not over complicate it and just keep it the same way as OSRS. It's not a big deal having to join a friends cc for 20 minutes.

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Maybe make it where generals+ can start a raid? Thus allowing people in larger clans to remain in the cc chats while raiding without having a bottleneck of forcing you’re cc leader to always be in the raid

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:00 pm

Iron ruby wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:40 pm Can we not just do it how osrs does it?
Can someone confirm that the only person who can start a raid is the owner of a CC in OSRS?

Isaac
Honor Player

Post by Isaac » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Can we make it the same as the TOB, create a party and go from there. Keep things nice and streamlined.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Mike wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:38 pm In my initial implementation a while ago, I had made the raids as such that anyone inside a clan can create a new raid party, provided there are no raid parties within that clan chat yet. He then also becomes the leader of that party.
You are correct. This is the way it works on OSRS.

We should definitely use clan chats to form the party. A minimum rank required to make a party would probably be a good idea. Just put in a very clear error message: "A rank of X or higher is required to form a Party".
Last edited by Iron adam on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Isaac wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:02 pm Can we make it the same as the TOB, create a party and go from there. Keep things nice and streamlined.
An important difference between the Theatre of Blood and the Chambers of Xeric is that ToB is limited to five players. In the Chambers of Xeric, you can have a party of up to 100 players. Not very streamlined if you want to to a massive raid with dozens of players if you have to invite all of them. That's why using a CC seems preferable and easier to organize in this case.

Brant
Fanatic

Post by Brant » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:10 pm

The thing is if we did it how Mike said it is on osrs, where the one who owns the cc makes the party, it won't work with most of the big clans out there since they have the owner status on their side account, just in that sense.

If we did it the way TOB is, I believe they might incur a problem with the interface, considering that tob is capped at 5 people, but Cox is capped at 100. I get it, I highly doubt there will be 100 people that want to do cox from one party, but even something like 10 people may incur challenges.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if it was capped at a specific clan rank that can create the party.

Isaac
Honor Player

Post by Isaac » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:42 pm

Mike wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:09 pm An important difference between the Theatre of Blood and the Chambers of Xeric is that ToB is limited to five players. In the Chambers of Xeric, you can have a party of up to 100 players. Not very streamlined if you want to to a massive raid with dozens of players if you have to invite all of them. That's why using a CC seems preferable and easier to organize in this case.
I guess it comes down to how easy it would be to organise things.., I imagine a mass raid would take ages to individually invite everyone! In that case, go down the CC route.