Extreme Negativity

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Church
Premium Donator

Extreme Negativity

Post by Church » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Forgive me if I ramble but:

I feel like there's been either a general uptick in negativity or a decrease in the amount of people who are willing to just be optimistic. Very few suggestions can be made without people immediately going off the deep end and saying stuff like "this server is dead", "the owners don't care", and stuff like that.
While in game it's not uncommon to see people regularly complain publicly about the amount of players that are online. I wanted to discuss with you guys how this is counterproductive.

Imagine for a second you're a new player and you've just logged into the server for the first time. You want to play on a server with a fair few people, a lively community. You've been online for a few minutes and you see someone in yell (a channel you need a rank to use, meaning a player who has been here for a bit of time) yell that the server is dead. "I don't want to play on a dead server," you think, so you just leave. The very people who seem to want to get as many people as possible are one of the first causes for them leaving.

Okay but let's say the person doesn't believe that, and they like the player count they see. So then they make a forums account and see a highly active suggestion thread that was posted recently. The entire thread is someone saying the server sucks and if this new change isn't implemented the whole thing will lose 100% of the players from the already "dead and shitty" wilderness. That's a lot harder to overlook. The people who seem to want to make the server better are now the ones making new players think it's not worth it to begin with.

I'm not saying the only option here is to always say things that are extremely positive to the point of ridiculousness. But I want everyone to remember the power words have over how others feel and keep in mind that being negative, especially negative in a rude way (i.e. "this server is fucking dead and shit") can only hurt the server and never help.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Re: Extreme Negativity

Post by Iron adam » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:01 pm

I love you. Mods are the best.
The ironman community is on your side! Lets yell things like "Dont forget to ::vote for #pkhonor!".

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:16 pm

I don't know if it's because of my timezone but stuff like "the server is dead" gets yelled maybe once a week and of the 20 players online at the time, maybe 1 is new. If anything, we should admire the recent changes in yell instead of focus on the negativity. Recently people have been remembering players to ::vote and ::donate and be more positive in general. Thanks everyone that contributes to the positivity on yell.

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:18 pm

And what about when new players are saying this as well?
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Monys
Forum Addict

Post by Monys » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:44 pm

Nazuths wrote:I don't know if it's because of my timezone but stuff like "the server is dead" gets yelled maybe once a week and of the 20 players online at the time, maybe 1 is new. If anything, we should admire the recent changes in yell instead of focus on the negativity. Recently people have been remembering players to ::vote and ::donate and be more positive in general. Thanks everyone that contributes to the positivity on yell.
Remember to ::vote for the server!

Remember to ::vote for "Mony" ingame

Proud member of PkHonor

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Troll n roll wrote:And what about when new players are saying this as well?
The main point is that there are people that have been and continue to be as negative as they can in these circumstances, and although it's damaging from anyone it's especially damaging when the negative, passive aggressive, or sarcastic comments come from veteran players or even staff.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Troll n roll wrote:And what about when new players are saying this as well?
They need to be punished.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:31 pm

Iron adam wrote:I love you. Mods are the best.
The ironman community is on your side! Lets yell things like "Dont forget to ::vote for #pkhonor!".
These childish "look at me im ironic and perky" (spam) comments are fucking annoying too. Can't have a decent thread without one of these as a comment or a negative one. It's just posting so you can post something. New players reading those posts might not see the irony and think this type of spam is actually all there is to the forums. If ya want forums to not be a turnoff for players then the rules of spam should be enforced and made stricter so shitposting isn't going to take up the majority of the forums activity.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:19 am

Natte droom wrote:
These childish "look at me im ironic and perky" (spam) comments are fucking annoying too. Can't have a decent thread without one of these as a comment or a negative one. It's just posting so you can post something. New players reading those posts might not see the irony and think this type of spam is actually all there is to the forums. If ya want forums to not be a turnoff for players then the rules of spam should be enforced and made stricter so shitposting isn't going to take up the majority of the forums activity.
What are you on about? I was being completely serious. I think DJ church is a wonderful person and I agree with his post!
You can ask a staff how many times I have yelled a message with ::vote in it. I also see Nazuths do it sometimes he is also a good friend and person.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 am

Iron adam wrote:
Natte droom wrote:
What are you on about? I was being completely serious. I think DJ church is a wonderful person and I agree with his post!
You can ask a staff how many times I have yelled a message with ::vote in it. I also see Nazuths do it sometimes he is also a good friend and person.
Sigh.