Extreme Negativity

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
James
Premium Donator

Re: Extreme Negativity

Post by James » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:47 pm

Haven't really noticed a problem, I think it's being blown out of proportion.

Slap a ho
Champion

Post by Slap a ho » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Church wrote:This is exactly what I'm talking about: "The server isn't getting new players, and here's the solution that has been suggested a million times that has been regularly proven to be something that we can't do".

If you guys think a youtube channel is what we need, start a youtube channel. Be the positive change you want to see.
I want to see curses removed, PvP armors gone, pray flicking, and delayed animations (aka slingshotting). How do you suggest I be the positive change to make those things happen?

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:07 am

Church wrote:If you google "rsps toplist" go to the first one and then scroll, we are #15 out of 2000 servers. We aren't low. (We're 19 on runelocus atm) and I can't even say I really trust those pages to be super accurate.
We get new players every day, it's rare we don't as far as I know.

I don't think youtubers advertising the server would do much to begin with, especially not as an added expense for the server owners.

This is exactly what I'm talking about: "The server isn't getting new players, and here's the solution that has been suggested a million times that has been regularly proven to be something that we can't do".

If you guys think a youtube channel is what we need, start a youtube channel. Be the positive change you want to see.

For what it's worth, I found PkHonor on a toplist when I started. I think it was Moparscape, and we're currently at #10 on there.
I've browsed through servers ranked neared PKH, they are just as dead. RS private servers aren't as big as they once were I suppose.
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:52 am

Troll n roll wrote:
Spoiler: show
Church wrote:If you google "rsps toplist" go to the first one and then scroll, we are #15 out of 2000 servers. We aren't low. (We're 19 on runelocus atm) and I can't even say I really trust those pages to be super accurate.

I don't think youtubers advertising the server would do much to begin with, especially not as an added expense for the server owners.

This is exactly what I'm talking about: "The server isn't getting new players, and here's the solution that has been suggested a million times that has been regularly proven to be something that we can't do".

For what it's worth, I found PkHonor on a toplist when I started. I think it was Moparscape, and we're currently at #10 on there.
I've browsed through servers ranked neared PKH, they are just as dead. RS private servers aren't as big as they once were I suppose.
This is also something I've talked to people about and a lot people simple don't believe that. Rapsey has made several posts where he explains about ::players boosting, bot accounts run by the server, and other top list shenanigans. Here's what I think: RSPS's have always been something people go to as either an extra source of Runescape content, or a replacement as the game they original signed up to play no longer exists. Great video about that idea here.
So if people are seeking the best possible source of the game they want to play the most, OSRS has an advantage no RSPS can compete with. Millions of dollars of yearly budget to pay people to work on the game. Not to say people come here over OSRS, I certainty didn't, but it's definitely a huge drain on the RSPS playerbase.
Slap a ho wrote:I want to see curses removed, PvP armors gone, pray flicking, and delayed animations (aka slingshotting). How do you suggest I be the positive change to make those things happen?
I'm not saying these ideas are good/bad, or popular/unpopular, but kind of alluding to what I said earlier: In which Jagex has the advantage of a huge team being paid to work on their game full time, we have a smaller (yet as talented) team of devs that work for the fun of it. So even if 100% of people agreed with those ideas, they can't just switch some things to off and add some other things on a daily or even weekly basis. The positive change you can be in regards to this is logging onto the test server whenever there's stuff to check, continuing to be active in the suggestion forums with constructive posts and comments, and possibly just a small bit of acceptance that not everything you want will happen.

I mean, personally I don't want curses removed. At least not just flat out removed from the game entirely. How does Mike just magically know which one of us to listen to?

Slap a ho
Champion

Post by Slap a ho » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:41 am

Church wrote:Rapsey has made several posts where he explains about ::players boosting, bot accounts run by the server, and other top list shenanigans.
I feel like most of those posts are made with assumptions. I’d be surprised if they were facts.
Church wrote:I mean, personally I don't want curses removed. At least not just flat out removed from the game entirely. How does Mike just magically know which one of us to listen to?
Use the polling system under the announcement section. Everything I mentioned has been suggested many, many times by many players. The polling system is heavily underutilized and Mike only posts in it once in a blue moon on certain topics.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:35 am

Church wrote:
Thearlygamer wrote:To be fair, I don't think many new players see ANY negative behavior because, it's hard to believe we get ANY new players to begin with. I know I'm sounding negative now, but how often does someone go on Runelocus or any top site and not click through the top 5 servers and make a decision, let alone scroll to whatever rank PkH stands at rn. MAYBE if we had a youtuber with the views to show people PKH it'd be different, but the way people find RSPS has changed, and being low on the top lists is not going to bring us any new players.
If you google "rsps toplist" go to the first one and then scroll, we are #15 out of 2000 servers. We aren't low. (We're 19 on runelocus atm) and I can't even say I really trust those pages to be super accurate.

see the argument of people being able to host events themselves used a lot. In fact I use(d) it myself. In an ideal world players would do this, yes. They'd host their own events and what not, there's lots of variety possible in player hosted events too. E.g everyone gears up in bronze and masses bandos.

Reality is that players wont really do this. It's sort of like the bystander effect. Everyone knows someone should do something, but nobody really acts. No amount of moral high ground debates of "uh well ur a better person it u do host an event" or motivational clichés like "be the change ya wanna see" is gonna help with that.

People play games to be entertained. Especially games like RS: You want to take part in something and it's going to entertain you and give you incentive to play more. If people want to entertain themself (essentially what comes down to hosting your own events) then, well, sorry to disappoint but people will play games centered around making your own fun (Minecraft, for example) instead of games that are supposed to give you entertainment.

I think that, at this stage on this thread, we're playing a game of blaming people or things for the decline of PKH instead of actually looking for a solution that might lead to PKH not being some dead game.

Rapsey mentioned that RSPS are on a decline in general. It's unlikely that PKH can undo that. But what about the players interested in RSPS that are left? How do we attract them? Maybe the solution would be to let new players do a sort of enquete and ask them what content they'd like to see on RSPSes in general. Maybe give them another one after a few hours of gametime but then about PKH. Reward them with 50m or so when they complete it.

Precedent has shown that veterans either don't know or can't agree on what would revitalise the server and bring in new, active players. The only thing we're really good at is being vocal about things that have been implemented in a bad way. I say we ask for new players input in all ways possible and prioritise those things. Heck, even pause ToB development for it. Bringing out new high tier content for the old farts wont help a new player that is overwhelmed with the quirks of PKH. Once we're able to consistently get a few new faces joining, staying and being vocal, I guess it'll be time to shell out some of that donation cash to advertise with it.

As for content and removal of curses and what not; The current veteran community is very, very lost. I feel like we need a guiding hand from high ranked staff members and/or developers and let them make the decisions and lead the server instead of us. As you kinda said, we've proven to be very unreliable in our claims of "but THIS piece of content WILL revive the server".

It's pretty funny since Jagex is having a similar issue like us on rs3: Too many people are making decisions which leads to either bad decisions or nothing at all. Only difference is that the community is partly "making" those deicisions rather than Jagex staff members. Community driven aye

Cancerstick
Wise One

Post by Cancerstick » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:01 am

You all just need to get on Classic WoW and be happy.

Isaac
Honor Player

Post by Isaac » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:26 am

The reason I joined PkHonor was because of it's custom features and content. I feel like, as a player of almost 8 years now, we have move too far towards being obsessed with cloning OSRS, and this is a lost cause. We know other RSPS's are pushing out OSRS content in a rapid manner (new features are released the day after OSRS release) and we need to face the facts that we cannot compete with their team of devs. I think we should get ToB out as a major PVM challenge but after that we try and move towards developer our server's unique identity.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Isaac wrote:The reason I joined PkHonor was because of it's custom features and content. I feel like, as a player of almost 8 years now, we have move too far towards being obsessed with cloning OSRS, and this is a lost cause. We know other RSPS's are pushing out OSRS content in a rapid manner (new features are released the day after OSRS release) and we need to face the facts that we cannot compete with their team of devs. I think we should get ToB out as a major PVM challenge but after that we try and move towards developer our server's unique identity.

This. I'm happy to have major releases that mimic osrs, but I'd rather not sell out and just be like everyone else with exact 1:1 copies.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:10 pm

Patel wrote:
Isaac wrote:The reason I joined PkHonor was because of it's custom features and content. I feel like, as a player of almost 8 years now, we have move too far towards being obsessed with cloning OSRS, and this is a lost cause. We know other RSPS's are pushing out OSRS content in a rapid manner (new features are released the day after OSRS release) and we need to face the facts that we cannot compete with their team of devs. I think we should get ToB out as a major PVM challenge but after that we try and move towards developer our server's unique identity.

This. I'm happy to have major releases that mimic osrs, but I'd rather not sell out and just be like everyone else with exact 1:1 copies.
It surprises me that you say that being a 1:1 copy is a form of selling out and "like everyone else"

Quite the contrary is what I've observed, lots of servers have some weird stuff going for themselves. Inferno capes in shops, Raids gear being dropped from pikachu's and buyable from a donator only shop. The fact that we can get so close to what makes OSRS good along with its own custom pieces of content is what makes the server good.

[The following rant is not specifically aimed at you, Patel]

Idk how anyone can say that we're too "1:1 osrs" while for example our BiS melee gear consists out of nex armor (rs3), a custom cape that can have the effects of a few custom weapons, an entirely custom weapon, a pair of gloves you didn't have to do 392929 quests for but just buy it, a pair of glacor boots (rs3, yes, cerberus boots exist but they're nearly the same) and a custom ring made by getting a custom drop from wildy bosses. Oh and don't forget the custom shield that is BiS when killing a custom version of a RS3 boss! :badjokeeel:
Or Death for example? A morph that can do combat (custom) which has to PVM in morph height (custom) and is so strong it can AFK some bosses. Oh and don't forget you get it from killing nomad (RS3) to get a custom key to open a custom chest built by having a custom drop from an elite!
Oh and curses. Rs3 content obtained in a custom way because players have a custom status.

And then ask yourself, how is all this custom stuff working out? Burned out players saying it's too easy now they have all these epic and strong items? New players quitting because they can't compete vs these ridiculously strong veterans? New players quitting because they expected x but it turned out to be y? How the hell is it 'bad' to ask for 1:1 (or close to) OSRS content? We barely have any content actually true to OSRS in terms of mechanics. Even pathing is still sorta fucked. We don't even have the simplest fucking "secret" mechanic (pray flicking) so yeah... I can't believe some of you guys are putting it as if we have a load of content true to OSRS while we don't even have some of the base fundamentals. Just because an OSRS boss or creature gets added doesn't mean it's the devs trying to clone OSRS. It's making the game complete before adding new custom crap, which is the entire premise of a RSPS to begin with: Runescape but fast levels and custom content. Not "halfassed bootleg chinese version of RS with custom content"
Last edited by Fungamer on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.