PkHonor History and Past

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Lykos
Premium Donator

PkHonor History and Past

Post by Lykos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:49 am

If there's one thing that fascinates me the most it's history, especially one as unique and long lived like PkHonors. If it's not too much to ask, I'd love to hear some good stories or have some questions answered in regards to the servers past.

A few things that I kept pondering about:

What exactly did Hamade do to receive such hate and grudge? Was it just negligence of the server?

In Hamade's resignation he talks about his brother who backstabbed him, a friend who robbed him, and a stranger who supported him. In what way did his brother backstab him, and who exactly is the friend who robbed him?

What is Mike/Rapsey's relationship to Hamade and how exactly were they the ones chosen own the server after him?

Was the topic of one-offs and discontinued items ever discussed or brought up during this transition? Was it a huge controversy or something just dismissed?

I have tons of more questions and stories I'd love to hear about, whether it'd be past controversial staff members, huge bugs/dupes, the "emergency room". If there's any veterans out there or someone with a vast knowledge of PkHonors past, please do post! Sorry if these questions or stories have been told 100 times, I cba to just search the archives all day long.
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven

Monib33
Known Venturer

Re: PkHonor History and Past

Post by Monib33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:40 pm

There are many stories to be told but due to the nature of this forum to "Keep the peace" most of them, especially the ones you are asking about won't be told in detail.

Kylo ren
Honor Player

Post by Kylo ren » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm

If there is anyone who is worthy enough to tell this story, it would be Patel, Mike, Dylan, or Rapsey.

Seen it
Donator

Post by Seen it » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:55 pm

It would be nice to figure out. As someone who has played Pkhonor since the super custom days LOL (dragon whip era), i never knew what happened. I still swing by every once in a while to see how the server is doing.

Tom brady
Premium Donator

Post by Tom brady » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:01 pm

What exactly did Hamade do to receive such hate and grudge? Was it just negligence of the server?

Hamade, simply, didn't know how to run the staff team or server. He played favorites to a disgusting degree, came up with some very stupid ideas that he forced on the server, and usually was just so out of touch with the server despite the constant criticism (both constructive and just bashing). The sad thing is that he was a kind guy, he just had flaws and didn't handle PkHonor well. The criticism eventually got to him and he resigned due to the constant hate.

In Hamade's resignation he talks about his brother who backstabbed him, a friend who robbed him, and a stranger who supported him. In what way did his brother backstab him, and who exactly is the friend who robbed him?

After re-reading his resignation thread, I'm pretty sure this is just a way for him to say goodluck to his enemies in life, no matter their differences. There were too many enemies for him to specifically pick one. It seems to be a very broad statement.

What is Mike/Rapsey's relationship to Hamade and how exactly were they the ones chosen own the server after him?

Rapsey was Mike's irl friend brought on to do database work for the server in 2011, which then developed into Rapsey being a programmer alongside Mike as his role increased. Donderstone2 used to be a co-owner of the server, but resigned c. 2012 (?). After Hamade resigned, they [Mike and Rapsey] were the two remaining super users, and thus assumed control of the server as Co-owners.

Was the topic of one-offs and discontinued items ever discussed or brought up during this transition? Was it a huge controversy or something just dismissed?

Numerous times, but no official statement was made until after the fact. It was absolutely huge controversy (especially to me) because they fucked multiple people over by devaluing their one-offs.

Feel free to ask questions. I was one of the most fucked staff members specifically by Hamade and a part of some of the server's most controversial moments (if not a main perpetrator in these).
FRO TIME :afro:
OPRAH!

I2aw origins
Premium Donator

Post by I2aw origins » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Kylo ren wrote:If there is anyone who is worthy enough to tell this story, it would be Patel, Mike, Dylan, or Rapsey.
Oof.

I2aw origins
Premium Donator

Post by I2aw origins » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Honestly, looking back he didn't do a lot wrong. He didn't do a lot right either, to be fair. All in all, he played favorites a lot and a lot of his decisions were not fully thought through. That being said, Hamade imo was a decent owner, especially considering that this is an RSPS and RSPS aren't known for their trustworthy owners lol.

A lot of us older players were 14 year olds who thought we were the smartest beings in the world, any time he didn't listen to exactly what we had to say, we wrote him off as an idiot. Realistically, we were just 14 year olds screaming at each other because we were (are) retarded. I'm 22 and have been a part of this server for almost 9 years, plenty of other "veterans" are in the same boat as me age wise.
IIRC, he's just making a blanket statement to anyone he had problems with.
So if you go back far enough, we're talking like 2009-2010, Pkhonor has had a few different owners/co-owners. Iron Geist, Donderstone2, X Mage (Hamade), Sami & some Dragon xxx dude who funded the thing to start. Now we have Mike/Rapsey. Sami, Hamade & Dragon dude started the server wayyyyyy back when, but it was arguably shit and filled with horrid custom items, and basically just a ripped source + client reskinned. I believe it was Hamade who brought in Mike as the programmer to replace Sami. Mid-2011, Sami was fired because he paid 0 attention to the server, and then Hamade took over as Owner w/ Donderstone2 as Co-Owner. Shortly after, Hamade went on vacation for like 6 months and Donderstone2 took over Hamade's place w/ them both as owners. Dylan resigned after some no bueno things happened in the staff team that had a big divide on who to follow and what the right moves should be. i.e Tyler/Nitrate, staff management, economy issues, custom items etc. That left Hamade to take all the heat for literally every issue that ever happened to pkhonor, he was the scapegoat for like 70% of the playerbase because we reeeeeeee'd every opportunity we got. He ended up resigning and Mike & Rapsey took over as owners since they were the only 2 people left that we considered "super" users. basically a user group that's set aside for owners.

Up until recently, nobody really cared. Hamade, Dylan, Sami etc all gave certain players discontinued items for various reasons. Whether it was for a lot of donations, oddball gifts or apologies for being shitheads to people. There has been lots of discontinued items that were "devalued" going way back to 2012 when the first custom whips were added to the donor store. (also holy fuck that was 7 years agoo??????).

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Kylo ren wrote:If there is anyone who is worthy enough to tell this story, it would be Patel, Mike, Dylan, or Rapsey.
Tom, i2aw, Ross, anyone who played before 2012 really.

But I think Chris was just referring to the people that are still active :P

I think I mostly agree with Tom and i2aw's answers, but to add to:
I don't think he's hated or that anyone has a grudge against him, we just don't hold his efforts as owner (especially at the end) in particularly high regards. The guy himself is awesome, and without question deserves to keep his own rank and super status. He just didn't do a great job as a staff manager/owner.

More on his resignation: I just remember that after our first forums (the SMF forums) went down, that everything went to shit. Things were not great before, and they only got worse after. We had a temporary forums put up by Dylan, and basically we needed structure to keep things going. Unfortunately, Hamade can be quoted as having said "I'll wait till the real forums come up", so for several months he had little to no presence ingame or on the forums. Admins sort of shared the top level of power and gave instructions here and there. We had a head mod (Ambitionz) who made sure there were mods as well. But top brass was nowhere to be seen. Back then, there was no expectation for Mike or Rapsey to have to be involved with the community, their coding was plenty and we were cool with that. We did expect more out of Hamade though. So when the new forums (the current ones) finally came up, we expected him to hold true to his promise of "waiting for the real forums." He never did.

It was after this point that me and a few other staff members decided to collect a bunch of opinions on Hamade and assert our own desire to have him either step up, or step down. I recall many late night MSN/Skype chats with Legit Nukes, Kay Cee, and Tom Brady. Either way, we sent this list of opinions and desires to Mike and Rapsey. I think that amid their own feelings towards how Hamade was handling being owner, they added our list of grievances to the pile before asking him to either step up or step down. And so he stepped down.

Tom brady
Premium Donator

Post by Tom brady » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:37 pm

Patel and Branden pretty much nailed it in more detail than I felt like putting.
FRO TIME :afro:
OPRAH!

Lykos
Premium Donator

Post by Lykos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Tom brady wrote:Patel and Branden pretty much nailed it in more detail than I felt like putting.
Na yours was a blast to read too!
Thank you to all for responding! I feel like a giddy child reading all of this.

Also this is thread 77777
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven