Wiki Revamp Project

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Church
Premium Donator

Wiki Revamp Project

Post by Church » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:53 pm

The wiki has collected too much clutter and issues, so I'm launching a public project to fix it.

How To Participate

The first thing you need to do is become a contributor: Click here

Below you will find a very long list of links to various wiki pages, categorized differently. Allow me to explain these categories just in case.

Significant Work: This is a page that needs many sections added and edited, as well as formatting.
Minor Work: This is a page that needs basic updates and formatting.
Information for New Pages: These are pages that contains information relevant to new and existing pages that need work.

We need to try to keep all pages to a reasonably standard formatting, if someone wishes to make templates that would be great. Refer to other pages if needed.

If you're not sure you can provide an inherent benefit to a page, don't edit it. Post here when you are done with pages so they can be approved and removed from this post.
Significant Work
Spoiler: show
Minor Work Information for New Pages Additional information:
I am by no means the person in charge of the wiki, this is a personal preference thing. I just wanted to include for consideration that these pages should be removed:
https://wiki.pkhonor.net/guides/money/black_dragons
https://wiki.pkhonor.net/guides/money/battle_mages
https://wiki.pkhonor.net/guides/money/cannon_balls
https://wiki.pkhonor.net/guides/money/coal_ore
Items that need pages, or need more information added to their pages.
Magic Stone
Salve (e)
Long Bone
Perfect Ring
Zaros Godsword
Morph Ring
Grand Seed Pod
Overloads
Imbue Scroll
Eternal Glory
Wilderness Sword 4
Bandos Kiteshield
Zaryte Bow
All Nex Gear
All God Halos
All God Bows
God Arrows
Brawlers
Milestone Capes
Choc-ice
Mysterious Emblems
Inferno Adze
Edit: All responses to this post need to be directly related to the project. Unrelated posts will be deleted to save space for the important posts.

Brant
Fanatic

Re: Wiki Revamp Project

Post by Brant » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 am

In fair honesty, I feel like all the guides should have people's name removed from them. This is a community thing, not individually.
As for the wiki, I was waiting until I got my comp (e) to start helping out. But since that's almost ready, I can work on the Skilling pages.

Whiprealgood
Premium Donator

Post by Whiprealgood » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:24 am

Brant wrote:In fair honesty, I feel like all the guides should have people's name removed from them. This is a community thing, not individually.
What's wrong with recognizing those who put their time in? All names of those who put their time into the guide should be there!
Check out my Youtube channel!

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:44 am

Whiprealgood wrote:
Brant wrote:In fair honesty, I feel like all the guides should have people's name removed from them. This is a community thing, not individually.
What's wrong with recognizing those who put their time in? All names of those who put their time into the guide should be there!
I agree and disagree. All pages need to follow a standard format.

We can add their names to said format.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Whiprealgood wrote:
Double feelings about this. A guide could be completely outdated and need a revamp. Does the person doing a revamp get their name added too? Does a person adding a new detail because of an update get their name added too?

I get that people should be recognized for doing effort on the wiki, sure. Maybe give people a title on the forums if they're a wiki editor, which goes over donator/premium ofc
We don't see people who made pages on Wikipedia leave their name, and I don't think the RS wiki does this either. Idk, a wiki is kind of supposed to show objective, unbiased information about a certain topic. 'GUIDE MADE BY: XXXX' doesnt really belong IMO

Brant
Fanatic

Post by Brant » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Here's the thing, if say 5 people in total worked on a page it would be something like this:

Created by - Bzink00
Edited by - Church
Also edited by - Whip
Further edited by - Mike
Additionally edited by - Raspey

As people leave, other people will continue to update it and take over the page, and this list will continue to go on. On forums, you can be selfish and take credit for your post (since no one else but you can edit it), but once you get to a wiki, you have to conform to the fact, other people will be working on the same page.

James
Premium Donator

Post by James » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Brant wrote:Here's the thing, if say 5 people in total worked on a page it would be something like this:

Created by - Bzink00
Edited by - Church
Also edited by - Whip
Further edited by - Mike
Additionally edited by - Raspey

As people leave, other people will continue to update it and take over the page, and this list will continue to go on. On forums, you can be selfish and take credit for your post (since no one else but you can edit it), but once you get to a wiki, you have to conform to the fact, other people will be working on the same page.
or
Created by Bzink00
Contributions made by Church, Whip, Mike and Rapsey.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 pm

FYI:

And this thread neatly demonstrates why: because people always feel the urge to compare and compete. No no, that guy's name can't be right next to mine under "authors" as if we are equals, I did more work so I deserve more credit!

Even if you do something like this:
James toxic wrote:Created by Bzink00
Then you'll get people complaining that the page made by the first author was super basic and they did 90% of the work afterwards. Or worse, they will create their own variation of an existing page just so they can be listed as the main author. Or people start making a bunch of page-placeholders so they are the author on all of them.

This sort of competition between authors hampers progress on a wiki and distracts from the common goal: working together to make the wiki as good as it can be.

But wiki's aren't bureaucracies so, if it really means that much to people then it's OK to put your name at the bottom of a page. That being said I would strongly recommend either listing names alphabetically or listing them chronologically in the order that they were added. That way there is no arguing about it and we can all zip our flies again and put the rulers back in our desk drawers. Chronologically would probably be best, before people start changing their names to something starting with an A or 0.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Rapsey wrote:FYI:

And this thread neatly demonstrates why: because people always feel the urge to compare and compete. No no, that guy's name can't be right next to mine under "authors" as if we are equals, I did more work so I deserve more credit!

Then you'll get people complaining that the page made by the first author was super basic and they did 90% of the work afterwards. Or worse, they will create their own variation of an existing page just so they can be listed as the main author. Or people start making a bunch of page-placeholders so they are the author on all of them.

This sort of competition between authors hampers progress on a wiki and distracts from the common goal: working together to make the wiki as good as it can be.

But wiki's aren't bureaucracies so, if it really means that much to people then it's OK to put your name at the bottom of a page. That being said I would strongly recommend either listing names alphabetically or listing them chronologically in the order that they were added. That way there is no arguing about it and we can all zip our flies again and put the rulers back in our desk drawers. Chronologically would probably be best, before people start changing their names to something starting with an A or 0.

I'm glad you pointed this out. Moving forward please don't include your name on the wikis. They need to follow a format so switching between pages of the same subject can easily be read.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 pm

Church wrote:
Rapsey wrote:FYI:

I'm glad you pointed this out. Moving forward please don't include your name on the wikis. They need to follow a format so switching between pages of the same subject can easily be read.
Thats not what rapsey said tho