Wiki Revamp Project

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Thoby
Developer

Re: Wiki Revamp Project

Post by Thoby » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:17 pm

I have made myself guilty of signing my work before. Which was before I understood the general purpose of the wiki. If you ever see my name mentioned anywhere on the wiki (except from notes as a developer- like 'Thoby said X about X') feel free to remove it. I personally do not require any form of authorship.

Oh, and great props to your initiative to revamp the wiki, Churchi boi. I view the wiki as one of our most important features, offering new players the ability to solely get to know everything about the game with a simple read.
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Don’t give people credit. What is the point? Who cares if you created a guide for an obscure game. Just make your edits and move on. Take pride in what you do or don’t idc. #Intersexuals

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 am

Lysa arryn wrote:Thats not what rapsey said tho
That's exactly what I said lol. It's also exactly what it says in those guidelines: please don't do it.

Look, I'm not gonna stop anyone from creating pages of their own that others aren't supposed to edit. In that context it makes sense to put your name on it like an article you wrote. There's very little reason to ever do that - it'd only make sense if you wanted to write your personal views on something subjective and that rarely happens on a wiki. Most of it is just providing objective information. Regardless, wiki's are supposed to be open so anyone is free to go off and do their own thing any way they want.

But in the context of communal pages, it doesn't make much sense to list up every person who has ever made any kind of edit to that page, even if the thing they did has been overwritten 5 times already. All that gets you is clutter and disputes. And what's being discussed here is the format for that collaborative effort so... yea.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:08 am

How about we all meet in the middle and create a wiki contributors page where you can give yourself a little section to put your name or a signature or something like that?

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 am

Church wrote:How about we all meet in the middle and create a wiki contributors page where you can give yourself a little section to put your name or a signature or something like that?
Let’s use the cemetery in the Shayzien house of Kourend to create monuments to every wiki contributor. I get the biggest one obviously.. (compensating)

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 am

Church wrote:How about we all meet in the middle and create a wiki contributors page where you can give yourself a little section to put your name or a signature or something like that?
Isn't that kinda like how deployed army units will sometimes designate a jack shack? I mean, it's not like anyone else is ever going to go there. It would be for self-gratification purposes only.

I hate to say it but there's actually plugins that let you embed an auto-generated list of all the people who edited that page.

Or even display statistics.

So now we're basically making highscores for the wiki.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:47 am

Rapsey wrote:
Isn't that kinda like how deployed army units will sometimes designate a jack shack? I mean, it's not like anyone else is ever going to go there. It would be for self-gratification purposes only.

I hate to say it but there's actually plugins that let you embed an auto-generated list of all the people who edited that page.

Or even display statistics.

So now we're basically making highscores for the wiki.

Yes but the only people who would care to look or edit it are the people who want it. I'm indifferent to it entirely but if that's what some people want or need to contribute good work to the wiki I see no inherent harm to it.
Not the stats though, that seems like it would be harmful, people competing to edit things despite them not being needed every time.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:34 am

damn lets see those hiscores for our wiki. gonna start splitting up my edits into multiple edits so i feel super important.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:39 am

I feel like I've gotten lost in this convo. It's the mark of a selfless person to not add their name, but it's no sin at all to want a little credit. If you're bothered that someone did considerable work and added a footnote with their name, it's a you problem.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:27 am

Big list of items: https://wiki.pkhonor.net/items
If anyone thinks of some more to add, either lmk or just add them to this list

We need a guide on the Wilderness Achievement Diaries: https://wiki.pkhonor.net/guides/wildern ... ment_diary
Someone please do that one. I dont want to