Our wiki - lets dicuss

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Jonas
Head Wiki Editor

Re: Our wiki - lets dicuss

Post by Jonas » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 pm

Admin adam wrote:
Jonas wrote:Anyone wanna make a group chat somewhere and make a plan of attack?

Like a discord.
Tbh, we could probably just make a private text channel on our discord with a wiki contributor rank. That would also get more people involved.
We should*

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm

I am really glad to see players are actually motivated to partake action on the Wiki.
Jonas wrote:Anyone wanna make a group chat somewhere and make a plan of attack?

Like a discord.
This is an amazing idea! If staff would be able to make a specific Discord-channel for Wiki contributors (not specifically locked behind some rank/role though) where we can actively discuss changes, that would be so sick.
If we manage to get an active little group that is able to put their knowledge onto the Wiki and keep it clean, up to date and professional, it would make the Wiki a bigger part of the game.
Rizz0 wrote:https://wiki.pkhonor.net/guides/questmi ... ldywyrm_ww
I'd appreciate some feedback on this from other editors, I want to start helping again with the wiki. I haven't approved it yet so it isn't visible to everyone.
That's an amazing guide, great work!

I am aware of how Rapsey is trying to clean/remove sections, but how would players feel about about a section dedicated to the Wiki? Where players would be able to post suggestions, ask for edits or point out misinformation? Being able to have active discussions in the more familiar forum-realm.
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Lieven
Premium Donator

Post by Lieven » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Thoby wrote: I am aware of how Rapsey is trying to clean/remove sections, but how would players feel about about a section dedicated to the Wiki? Where players would be able to post suggestions, ask for edits or point out misinformation? Being able to have active discussions in the more familiar forum-realm.
I think the amount of people using the forums is probably too low for this to work to its fullest extent. Essentially people should be pushed a bit towards joining the forums and then the wiki editor group to just make their own edits\work out their own suggestions. I don't really see a point for a section for the wiki if the wiki is ran by the community anyways. For bigger projects like making entire guides etc you could just add a to-do list, notes & suggestions at the bottom or top of the guide anyways
Been feeding Robert my titty milk since year 293 after the conquest

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Fungamer wrote: I think the amount of people using the forums is probably too low for this to work to its fullest extent. Essentially people should be pushed a bit towards joining the forums and then the wiki editor group to just make their own edits\work out their own suggestions. I don't really see a point for a section for the wiki if the wiki is ran by the community anyways. For bigger projects like making entire guides etc you could just add a to-do list, notes & suggestions at the bottom or top of the guide anyways
The reason I myself think this section would be helpful, is to get players to just quickly post about something without having to take several steps. Currently it says on the Wiki homepage that if there are any mistakes, they should message Jonas. However, directly contacting a player (that you probably don't know), is less accessible and only Jonas will be able to do something about it. Some players aren't interested in going through the whole process of learning about the Wiki and how to contribute, they just want to point out some information that is incorrect or incomplete.

Aside from that, a section like this could inspire players to start contributing. Like this thread shows, there are definitely players that are interested in helping out and contributing, but it seems that the lack of available ways to communicate or notice other contributers is demotivating. If there's a spot, even if its just a Discord, that would create a way of directly communicating about this, maintaining TODO lists, etc. I think that would enable more players to partake in this.
Image Image

Lieven
Premium Donator

Post by Lieven » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:04 pm

Thoby wrote:
Fungamer wrote: I think the amount of people using the forums is probably too low for this to work to its fullest extent. Essentially people should be pushed a bit towards joining the forums and then the wiki editor group to just make their own edits\work out their own suggestions. I don't really see a point for a section for the wiki if the wiki is ran by the community anyways. For bigger projects like making entire guides etc you could just add a to-do list, notes & suggestions at the bottom or top of the guide anyways
The reason I myself think this section would be helpful, is to get players to just quickly post about something without having to take several steps. Currently it says on the Wiki homepage that if there are any mistakes, they should message Jonas. However, directly contacting a player (that you probably don't know), is less accessible and only Jonas will be able to do something about it. Some players aren't interested in going through the whole process of learning about the Wiki and how to contribute, they just want to point out some information that is incorrect or incomplete.

Aside from that, a section like this could inspire players to start contributing. Like this thread shows, there are definitely players that are interested in helping out and contributing, but it seems that the lack of available ways to communicate or notice other contributers is demotivating. If there's a spot, even if its just a Discord, that would create a way of directly communicating about this, maintaining TODO lists, etc. I think that would enable more players to partake in this.
Still doesn't need its own section tbh. The thread that Isaac made should be more than enough
Been feeding Robert my titty milk since year 293 after the conquest

Iron adam
Honor Player

Post by Iron adam » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Fungamer wrote:Still doesn't need its own section tbh. The thread that Isaac made should be more than enough
Most players wont ever even see that thread. A section could make it more visible and accessible.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Over the years it has happened quite a few times that someone said: "maybe if we make a specific forum section then people will get involved in it". Each and every time the result was the same: a dead forum section which was removed again a few months later. Unsurprisingly, if people aren't motivated to get involved then the existence of a forum section does nothing to change that.

So nowadays we only create new sections in response to a demand for a separate section. We no longer create them hoping that maybe the demand will grow as a result of having the section. It just never works out that way.

Rather than creating a new section right away maybe it would be better to start with a single topic, and replace the "PM Jonas" references with "post on this thread". Then if that thread takes off and more threads are being created we can start thinking about giving it a dedicated section. But I doubt it would ever go much beyond a single thread. Most people aren't interested in getting involved beyond telling others what they think needs to be done.

I like what you've done with the front page by the way. :thumbsup:

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Rapsey wrote:Over the years it has happened quite a few times that someone said: "maybe if we make a specific forum section then people will get involved in it". Each and every time the result was the same: a dead forum section which was removed again a few months later. Unsurprisingly, if people aren't motivated to get involved then the existence of a forum section does nothing to change that.
Quite understandable, we will continue to use a dedicated thread for now.

A small question by the way: is it possible to edit/get changes to the info:contributing guide? I think changing it up a bit wouldn't hurt.
Rapsey wrote:I like what you've done with the front page by the way. :thumbsup:
Thank you very much!
Image Image

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Thoby wrote:A small question by the way: is it possible to edit/get changes to the info:contributing guide? I think changing it up a bit wouldn't hurt.
Sure, I've given you edit access to those info pages (except rules).

Kim
Honor Player

Post by Kim » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:47 pm

I’d be totally interested in helping organize the wiki page :thumbsup: