Our wiki - lets dicuss

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Thoby
Developer

Our wiki - lets dicuss

Post by Thoby » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Lately I've been hearing more and more complains about the wiki, ranging from it being outdated to not having enough information/guides.

Overall our player numbers are dropping a bit, so it would be nice if new players could turn to the wiki when there isn't someone to answer their questions. Aside from that it can also be a way for newer/returning players to get to know about the game's available content. Overall a solid wiki is beneficial for everyone.

Seeing as it's the communities responsibility to maintain and contribute to the wiki, I wanted to know about player's personal experience.

Do you personally use the wiki? If so, when do you use it? What do you think about its content? What would improve your experience? Is there information missing? If so, what would you want to see added?

I personally would want to see guides on specific items. For example, I tend to get an increasing amount of questions on overloads, from unfamiliar OSRS players (who haven't played nightmare zone or raids).

Suggestions/ideas/complaints are more than welcome!

EDIT:

Noteworthy idea's:
  • Converting multiple guides of the same subject into a single compiled guide.
  • Having the Wiki pages interconnected: more links to pages that provide info about a specific subject.
  • Remove any playernames from guides, so they pages would be more formal.
  • Update the Wiki homepage. Add some more images or other elements.
  • More integration of the Wiki within the game, a dedicated button, maybe examine options in items that would print a URL in the chatbox? (Like it does with the guides currently).
  • A reward for dedicating time on contribution to the Wiki (up for debate though).
  • A Discord-channel for discussions about the Wiki.
  • A Forums-section for discussions/suggestions/etc about the Wiki (up for debate).
  • Updating the namespaces of guides, so the Wiki overall is more organised (/guides/skills/slayer instead of /guides/skillguides/slayerguides/bzink00slayerguide).
Aside from that, Isaac actually made an amazing thread about more concrete changes to the Wiki, check it out!
Also, a Discord channel has been made on the official PkHonor Discord, feel free to join and contribute!
Last edited by Thoby on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Iron adam
Honor Player

Re: Our wiki - lets dicuss

Post by Iron adam » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 pm

As you said, it is a community driven thing. So we need actual contributions from the community. Most of the contributions come from staff members and helpers.

I would like to see all of the personal guides that were uploaded to that get converted to single pages. For example, we have 2 pages for construction. No other wiki is like that. I don't think anyone's name or any credit should be attached to any page. There should be a single page with all of the facts pertaining to the subject. There should be almost no opinions on there.

Isaac

Post by Isaac » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 pm

First and foremost, it looks terrible. Launch the wiki window right now and you will see a horrible, outdated PkHonor logo as well as unattractive white background with unorganised links. That is the first problem.

Secondly, I've done things on the wiki and produced guides and I had a lot of fun doing them, but there are no methods of feedback from the community unless you ask directly. This creates a twofold problem. Firstly, I feel like my efforts are under-appreciated and that leads me to a lack of enthusiasm for the wiki. Secondly, I recieve no feedback from players so how can I improve? If players were given the ability to highlight areas of the wiki and leave a comment which can then be 'resolved' by wiki editors in the future, that would help to combat the out-dated nature of the wiki.

I think we need a dedicated wiki team with a wiki manager. I know it sounds super arbitrary, but it would help to have a structure of people to maintain it. Hell, even offer in-game rewards for players who help (dono credits per page written) or a special rank on the forums. These people would have no power other than being the face of the Wiki.

edit: I don't know the feasability but imagine if we could add a wiki button ingame (next to the POH button - I think I saw something like this recently), which was a mini interface that popped up and you navigated through it to find what you wanted, clicked it and it magnet linked you to the web page.

Mcpuff
Premium Donator

Post by Mcpuff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 pm

I bounce between the wiki and forums, neither are perfect, but man do they make a great sandwich

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:16 pm

Admin adam wrote:As you said, it is a community driven thing. So we need actual contributions from the community. Most of the contributions come from staff members and helpers.

I would like to see all of the personal guides that were uploaded to that get converted to single pages. For example, we have 2 pages for construction. No other wiki is like that. I don't think anyone's name or any credit should be attached to any page. There should be a single page with all of the facts pertaining to the subject. There should be almost no opinions on there.
Agreed with converting it to single pages, it's quirky. Also, more wikipages should be connected IMO.

I don't fully agree with removing opinions from the Wiki completely. Especially from things like guides. Providing suggestions on different things, because the writer of the guide thinks it can be done better in his or her opinion, can be of value. In the core it should contain facts, but completely removing one's opinion from a Wiki-page doesn't mean it will be more helpful.
Isaac wrote:First and foremost, it looks terrible. Launch the wiki window right now and you will see a horrible, outdated PkHonor logo as well as unattractive white background with unorganised links. That is the first problem.
It doesn't look the best. However, neither does the home page of the RS wiki for example. I never found the home page of a wiki useful, you tend to search for specific information.
Changing it to more of a hub with some images would help though.
Isaac wrote:Secondly, I've done things on the wiki and produced guides and I had a lot of fun doing them, but there are no methods of feedback from the community unless you ask directly. This creates a twofold problem. Firstly, I feel like my efforts are under-appreciated and that leads me to a lack of enthusiasm for the wiki. Secondly, I recieve no feedback from players so how can I improve? If players were given the ability to highlight areas of the wiki and leave a comment which can then be 'resolved' by wiki editors in the future, that would help to combat the out-dated nature of the wiki.
I have to agree: posting guides on the Forum back in the day was more rewarding. Players would leave direct feedback and notice your efforts. Currently your guide can go unnoticed for weeks. Also, for the misinformation. That was one of the better things from having the guides on the forums: players would be more tempted to post about outdated information, because the 'Reply' button is right there.

EDIT:
Isaac wrote:I think we need a dedicated wiki team with a wiki manager. I know it sounds super arbitrary, but it would help to have a structure of people to maintain it. Hell, even offer in-game rewards for players who help (dono credits per page written) or a special rank on the forums. These people would have no power other than being the face of the Wiki.
That's actually not a bad idea. It can stimulate players to contribute more to the Wiki.
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Jonas
Head Wiki Editor

Post by Jonas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 pm

I am so freaking interested, finally someone can do this shit with me. PM me? It was soooo demotivating working alone.

Revenantduff
Premium Donator

Post by Revenantduff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 pm

Thoby wrote:maybe examine options in items that would print a URL in the chatbox? (Like it does with the guides currently).
Personally against this. The URLs you get from opening skill guides is annoying already

Tk phat
Premium Donator

Post by Tk phat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 pm

i like pie

tk phat
when nasus tps

Pls senpai
Premium Donator

Post by Pls senpai » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:52 pm

Jonas wrote:I am so freaking interested, finally someone can do this shit with me. PM me? It was soooo demotivating working alone.
I've always been interested in updating the wiki, but it just didn't seem like enough people cared for it so I didn't feel motivated.

If you guys are going to be making big changes, I'm 100% interested and able to put some time in. :) Keep me in the PM loop please

Iron adam
Honor Player

Post by Iron adam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:05 am

Once we get enough ideas together, just need to make a plan of attack and get as many people to help as possible. Who want's to spearhead it?