A quick....

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Honor Player

Re: A quick....

Postby Adamthalion » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:27 am

I don't see any reason to give a rank for that though. If your contributing at any point in time, you have a rank. Once you stop, you become a regular player again. People aren't going to suddenly lose respect for you once you don't have the status. They are either going to have a positive, negative, or neutral view of you regardless. A rank isn't going to command respect, and frankly it shouldn't. A rank just seems weird to me.

Premium Donator

Postby Tom brady » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 am

Admin adam wrote:I don't see any reason to give a rank for that though. If your contributing at any point in time, you have a rank. Once you stop, you become a regular player again. People aren't going to suddenly lose respect for you once you don't have the status. They are either going to have a positive, negative, or neutral view of you regardless. A rank isn't going to command respect, and frankly it shouldn't. A rank just seems weird to me.

I wasn't even saying it for ex-staff, that is a separate rank that also used to exist on the SMF forums for respected ex-staff. Veterans were their own thing entirely

You can contribute in numerous ways other than being a moderator. It isn't even about contribution, it's about being a respectful presence to the community. Veterans having a form of distinction has some reverence towards being old, which I definitely looked up to when I first joined. That cyan forum color was epic.
FRO TIME :afro:

Honor Player

Postby Adamthalion » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 am

But still, your contributions should speak for themselves. Regardless of whether or not you are a staff member. (disclaimer, i didn't read any of your posts. i will later lol)

Honor Player

Postby Ruler » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 am

I love how an introduction post from Shane already starts the veteran rank discussion. He didn't even have to post about it this time.

I agree that it would be an elitist group and dislike the idea of it. Not worth all the hassle. Enjoy being respected, no need to have a status for that.

Ot: hey shane

Premium Donator

Postby Fungamer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:41 am

Iron Geist (Admin), Ashley (Admin), Donderstone2, Rapsey, Hump Gru, Tom, Patel, Andres, Slashy

:wat: Half of them already hold a rank or they haven't shown their face in literally years. That's what I mean lmao, it's so biased and the "ancient" vets don't even know the.. well.. "current" vets since they're so out of touch.

Isaac wrote:Bunch of grown ass men sitting around discussing a 'veteran' rank as some kind of validation, half of which are M.I.A from the game already.

Having a committee would be a terrible idea since there's identifiable cliques all over the PkHonor scene. I've pissed a lot of people off, and put a lot of them in their place along the way and it'd only take one vindictive person to ruin this exclusive gentlemen's club. Patel says he thinks he would be a good fit for this role, but who are you? I'm aware that you did a bunch of stuff way back when but that doesn't qualify you for anything now apart from maybe that green signature. As far as I know, you may be a completely pretentious asshole, utilising an online persona to hide behind.

I agree with Lieven that it screams 'grow up'. Being a 'vet', which by the way would be the ULTIMATE cringeworthy flex, isn't about a rank. If you're a vet, it's implicit. That comes from your time here, your game knowledge, your achievements and your buddies.

Please let's not entertain a discussion about introducing a veteran status. Unless you get it when you achieve max experience, as that's the only real objective achievement any player can attain through hard work, then I'm all for it :badjokeeel: :badjokeeel: :badjokeeel:

For once I can 100% agree with Isaac. If there was some committee and I was in, I could be against Isaac and blame him for his past botting and that he doesn't deserve the rank. But then again, Isaac IS a veteran. He has played for so long, heck his god damn PoH bookcase cant even keep up to date with him! He's played for a long time. Sure, he did some negative stuff. But what about the positive stuff he may have done? E.G him giving some new player a lot of advice and going further than a helper or moderator would, or giving away some GP to people who really needed it (100m short for premium for example)

We simply don't and can not constantly look over every old players shoulders to see if they're contributing positively or negatively. Nobody, not even a committee can judge who's a vet according to what Tomas described. That being:
It isn't about being here a long time, but it's about having a positive influence on the community over numerous years and sticking around.

I mean Preet literally says you require respect from the community to be chosen, not just be old. Veteran as a term often has a meaning of respect, not just being old. There's a difference between a 100 year old WW2 veteran and a 100 year old trustfund dickhead rich guy.

Lets stay with the WW2 example. You'll respect a 100 year old WW2 veteran from the allies. Not the axis forces. Why? Because the axis forces have done terrible things. I agree. But it's even more exaggerated because they lost, as the allies did some nasty shit themselves too.
Same thing could be pretty much applied to PKH. There is not one veteran who doesn't have some dirty little secret or did some dumb shit that, if it was known, they'd lose the respect from both the staff team and majority of the community or could even result in them losing their current rank.

Why? Because we were what, 14? All the remaining "veterans" are good at holding their dirty laundry with them and they're just the ones who got lucky or were able to lie/manipulate their way through or just be quiet about it for that time being. For example, Rick scammed B0rnt0b3pk for hundreds of bills. It kinda got swept under the rug and he was still an admin for years, but then got banned for RWTing. By your logic, Tomas, Rick also wouldn't deserve the rank as he clearly doesn't have respect for PKH management as he tried to make a profit off their game and there's constantly new things coming to surface of what he did. But, I personally kinda like Rick, and I'm sure other veterans like him too, so he would get a veteran rank while he pretty much broke the same rules like Dead Newb did? I don't know man.
It's way too biased and case-to-case. There's no way some committee would last and keep up with adding veterans to the group. I already know that it'd stop post-2014 since they simply wouldn't know.
Next to that, what about the lurkers? Those who just read forums and have played the game for years and have potentially even donated? Do they not deserve the same prestige and honor that the "chads", "extroverts", the "cock of walks" and (former) "attentionwhores" would get with such a rank?

The veteran rank should be biased. We had it when I joined in 2011, it was rare and a sign of respect

Yeah. 2011. Was that before or during the time we could have Glocks and ak47s ingame and could slip Hamade a $500 note for an unban? :badjokeeel:
We have to move on from those nostalgia years. Back when I joined in 2012 there were wildy clans dominating WW with those server-wide announcements. Doesn't mean we have to add it back, as it was silly and unfair for solo players.

Admin adam wrote:But still, your contributions should speak for themselves. Regardless of whether or not you are a staff member. (disclaimer, i didn't read any of your posts. i will later lol)

Agreed. For example, Whiprealgood isn't a staff member (anymore), but he's very well known and respected within the ironman community as he makes guides, streams and is a generally awesome guy. Another example may be Ruler (Sverre). He has never held any rank aside from helper, yet he's very respected and his contributions to discussions are always respectful and well thought out. If both of those players quit or disappear for a while, well, I guess they're going to be forgotten by the newer players, but they'll still be known by the "core"-community.
wordt* btw. Ape IQ at its finest :lol:

Postby Bl00d 1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm

Ruler wrote:I love how an introduction post from Shane already starts the veteran rank discussion. He didn't even have to post about it this time.

I agree that it would be an elitist group and dislike the idea of it. Not worth all the hassle. Enjoy being respected, no need to have a status for that.

Hi mate, good to see you!

Premium Donator

Postby Fuck banks » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Admin adam wrote:I don't see any reason to give a rank for that though. If your contributing at any point in time, you have a rank. Once you stop, you become a regular player again. People aren't going to suddenly lose respect for you once you don't have the status. They are either going to have a positive, negative, or neutral view of you regardless. A rank isn't going to command respect, and frankly it shouldn't. A rank just seems weird to me.

Same way I view moderators, administrators, etc.

A rank doesn't command respect. :)

Premium Donator

Postby Jon snow » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:20 pm

hey man welcome to the server

Premium Donator

Postby Azu rite » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Ruler wrote:I love how an introduction post from Shane already starts the veteran rank discussion. He didn't even have to post about it this time.

My bad

Premium Donator

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:57 pm

Vet status would be gay and anyone with it would be a raging homo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion