Concerning glacors

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Mike
Programmer

Concerning glacors

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:20 pm

Since their release, glacors have been quite a controversial topic. Throughout their history, there have been a number of bugs concerning their mechanics, but more importantly they have proven to be a nuisance in the wilderness.

Their main use was promoting wilderness activity, but with the introduction of several wilderness bosses, I think they have outlived their use. Not to mention the number of issues that have been reported, where glacors are often used as a way to evade PK'ers in a way that's not meant to be.

That being said, I am planning to remove the glacors from the wilderness in the next server update.
However, there are two things that need to be discussed. First and foremost, where should we put them if not in the wilderness (other than the donator-only slayer cave)? And how would players get there? Since glacors are not found in OSRS, we would need to put them in such a place that players would easily find their way towards them.

Secondly, we'd have to find a replacement for the choc-ice wilderness achievement. However, since frost dragons also drop choc-ice, it would seem logical to just replace the 'Glacors (in wild): 20 choc-ice' by 'Frost dragons (in wild): 20 choc-ice'. It would make the achievement considerably easier to get (not to mention it can be combined with the other 2 frost dragon achievements), but I don't think that's really an issue.

I'm sure there will be a few topics regarding the wilderness glacors already. If so, feel free to link them here, or put a TL;DR version of those topics in this thread.

I'm looking forward to the feedback and suggestions!

The underdog
Premium Donator

Re: Concerning glacors

Post by The underdog » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:28 pm

In theory they're one of the best money makers in-game, the mechanics are just annoying and buggy.
Putting them in multi/make pkers able to pj minions along with giving the enduring glacyte a weakness that makes it fast to kill and it'd be all fine with me. There's also too many of them, 3 or 4 would be enough in wildy, the respawn is fast and with so many its hard keeping track of which one you were attacking. The economy of certain items will take a hit, ice-diamond one of the four WILDERNESS diamonds needs a new source from the wildy. If it stays with glacors the ice diamond will crash from 25b to fuck all along with steads, P ring will be cheap going down 50% in price. Both are bis-items.

But if they're being removed which I also don't mind, isn't the wyvern cave free? Probably some other icy-cave around, that still makes the glacors buggy and annoying so still requires some fixes.

I spent more time on choc ice requirement than on all other wildy pvm requirements combined, putting them into frosts would be 20 times faster to complete I guess. Maybe just something entirely new I don't really mind anyway.
Last edited by The underdog on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teh prophet
Novice

Post by Teh prophet » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:31 pm

If there isn't a way to prevent targets from using glacors to evade being pked, I agree with the decision to remove them.

On the issue of where to put them, placing them outside the wilderness seems odd as they drop one of the four wilderness diamonds needed for the perfect ring. Ice diamonds would be marginally easier to obtain if there was no threat of pkers. I'd recommend adding them somewhere with access restrictions like donor+ if the non-wildy glacors will now drop the ice diamond. Otherwise, the ice diamond drop could be moved to another wild boss.

Although frosts drop Choc-ice as well, the Choc-ice requirement took the longest out of any of the others. If it would become considerably easier to obtain them through frosts, I would recommend adding another task to supplement the new frost/choc-ice task.

Pim
Honor Player

Post by Pim » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Couldn’t you remove the glacytes? Those little bitches make the whole thing quite buggy. Surely glacors will become a LOT easier this way, but i think it wouldn’t be bad. Its still in 44 wilderniss. Maybe buff their damage/defences to match this a little bit. This would allow us to still have the wilderniss diamond, the choc-ice diary and the risk of being deep wilderniss.
Idea though i don’t think ive ever even killed one myself so can decide if this is a well balanced solution.

Teh prophet
Novice

Post by Teh prophet » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:44 pm

Counterret wrote:Couldn’t you remove the glacytes?
I think part of the problem currently is that the glacor itself will essentially "pj" the target. If you start attacking someone when they run away from their glacor, if that player stops and waits for the glacor to catch up, the glacor will take priority over the pker and will essentially pj the target allowing them to make their way to the 44 obelisk easily.

So even if we eliminate the glacytes, the glacor itself can still be used to evade being pked.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:48 pm

The ice diamond is something I hadn't thought of yet. However, we can just as easily add those to the frost dragons as well. They'd have to be a super rare drop, though.

The wyvern cave was also one thing I was considering. Putting them there would seem like a logical solution, as long as we don't have any skeletals wyverns ourselves anyway.
The main reason we never added skeletal wyverns is because they used to be bugged, but with the 30 December 2016 update, this is no longer the case. So we might decide to add wyverns after all, but I'm not sure about this yet.

Leaving them inside the wilderness, but putting them in a multi-combat area also seems like an agreeable solution to me, but in that case I would probably nerf their stats to make them easier to kill.

I'm leaving all the options on the table. In the end, the community will have to decide what they prefer.

Pim
Honor Player

Post by Pim » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Mike wrote:The ice diamond is something I hadn't thought of yet. However, we can just as easily add those to the frost dragons as well. They'd have to be a super rare drop, though.

The wyvern cave was also one thing I was considering. Putting them there would seem like a logical solution, as long as we don't have any skeletals wyverns ourselves anyway.
The main reason we never added skeletal wyverns is because they used to be bugged, but with the 30 December 2016 update, this is no longer the case. So we might decide to add wyverns after all, but I'm not sure about this yet.

Leaving them inside the wilderness, but putting them in a multi-combat area also seems like an agreeable solution to me, but in that case I would probably nerf their stats to make them easier to kill.

I'm leaving all the options on the table. In the end, the community will have to decide what they prefer.
You could basically put them anywhere and add another option in the ‘monsters’ teleport tab, just like we have dragons and gwd etc. Make one that’s called glacors. This way you don’t have to worry about wether you’re going to want to add wyverns or not

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Counterret wrote: You could basically put them anywhere and add another option in the ‘monsters’ teleport tab, just like we have dragons and gwd etc. Make one that’s called glacors. This way you don’t have to worry about wether you’re going to want to add wyverns or not
That's definitely not a bad idea.

Isaac

Post by Isaac » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Counterret wrote:Couldn’t you remove the glacytes? Those little bitches make the whole thing quite buggy. Surely glacors will become a LOT easier this way, but i think it wouldn’t be bad.
I don't see the point of this option, then Glacors would become a completely AFKable ice diamond farm. The glacytes are a core mechanic to make the NPC challenging and a diverse piece of content.

I think they should leave the wilderness for good but keep their drops (minus the ice diamond). The BIS boots they drop are ultra rare and don't add a hugely significant bonus to the player. Steadfast Boots being like 25b is just ridiculous the only reason they are that price is because of how difficult the NPC is to kill firstly, then secondly actually landing on a steadfast boot drop. So if they were removed from the wild and placed somewhere else and the BIS boots dropped in price it wouldn't be shocking that boots which add +1 or +2 bonuses are only 2-5b. Regarding the Ice Diamond, it should be removed from the Glacor drop table and given to the Frost Dragons at an incredibly rare drop rate. That should liven up that area considerably.

Alternatively, the Ice Diamond is replaced by another diamond such as the 'Venom/Poison/Toxic/Nocuous Diamond', a green diamond dropped by Scorpia. This would make Scorpia more attractive. The Ice Diamond ID would be re-textured, renamed and replaced by the new diamond. Scorpia is multi in deep wilderness, it would make sense to have a flagship drop. Also, make the little scorpions drop the diamond at a 1 in 25k rate.

Preserve scroll should not be scorpia-only content and should be dropped by the chaos fanatic and crazy archeologist and chaos elemental.

Another solution is to remove the boot drops and add Cerberus which drops the eternal, primordial and pegasian crystals.

Isaac

Post by Isaac » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Isaac wrote:
Counterret wrote:Couldn’t you remove the glacytes? Those little bitches make the whole thing quite buggy. Surely glacors will become a LOT easier this way, but i think it wouldn’t be bad.
I don't see the point of this option, then Glacors would become a completely AFKable ice diamond farm. The glacytes are a core mechanic to make the NPC challenging and a diverse piece of content.

I think they should leave the wilderness for good but keep their drops (minus the ice diamond). The BIS boots they drop are ultra rare and don't add a hugely significant bonus to the player. Steadfast Boots being like 25b is just ridiculous the only reason they are that price is because of how difficult the NPC is to kill firstly, then secondly actually landing on a steadfast boot drop. So if they were removed from the wild and placed somewhere else and the BIS boots dropped in price it wouldn't be shocking that boots which add +1 or +2 bonuses are only 2-5b. Regarding the Ice Diamond, it should be removed from the Glacor drop table and given to the Frost Dragons at an incredibly rare drop rate. That should liven up that area considerably.

Alternatively, the Ice Diamond is replaced by another diamond such as the 'Venom/Poison/Toxic/Nocuous/Noxious Diamond', a green diamond dropped by Scorpia. This would make Scorpia more attractive. The Ice Diamond ID would be re-textured, renamed and replaced by the new diamond. Scorpia is multi in deep wilderness, it would make sense to have a flagship drop. Also, make the little scorpions drop the diamond at a 1 in 25k rate.

Preserve scroll should not be scorpia-only content and should be dropped by the chaos fanatic and crazy archeologist and chaos elemental.

Another solution is to remove the boot drops and add Cerberus which drops the eternal, primordial and pegasian crystals.