Ideas for getting newer players?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Sysadmin

Re: Ideas for getting newer players?

Postby Rapsey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:14 pm

A iron girl wrote:On the vote pages, our advertisements don't actually contain our server name.

For example on runelocus (same with other voting sites),

1. RSPS #1
2. RSPS #2
3. RSPS #3
4. Join the #1 server of 2019! <----- this is us, but a new player wouldn't know this is Pkhonor

flaw with this advertising

Actually we removed the name on purpose. We noticed that, if the name "PkHonor" is in there, less people click on it. Presumably this is because PkHonor is so old that most people think "been there, done that" and just skip over it.

I doubt it makes much difference though.

Iron bubble wrote:release basic content like rune pouch, thats been on 07 since 2k16, its almost 2k19 good shit

update more than once every 5 weeks

Maybe actually look at the news section before you make a BS claim like that... 5 weeks is something you're just making up, it's a total lie.

And those things have now been added.

Dawn killerx wrote:I think we are missing the bill with pointing fingers at content and updates. The last post pkhonor made on facebook was September of 2017. I think little to no effort has been put into actually marketing pkhonor. Unless real changes are made to create an influx of players this game will inevitably die.

Not on Facebook no. Then again PkHonor was never marketed on Facebook except for a very brief period and even then it did not have any noticeable results.

Fungamer wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Thierryu1 wrote:Lieven for admin please.

:grumpycat:

It is the only way.

I can think of many other ways to kill the server.

Premium Donator

Postby Slap a ho » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:16 pm

@Rapsey What are other servers doing that PKHonor isn’t? There’s some underlying issue as to why #1-5 are in that spot. They don’t just randomly boom to the top out of the blue. Any insight you can share?

Game Administrator

Postby Admin adam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Slap a ho wrote:@Rapsey What are other servers doing that PKHonor isn’t? There’s some underlying issue as to why #1-5 are in that spot. They don’t just randomly boom to the top out of the blue. Any insight you can share?

Initial hype, being a spawn server, having all items in shops

Premium Donator

Postby Slap a ho » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Admin adam wrote:
Slap a ho wrote:@Rapsey What are other servers doing that PKHonor isn’t? There’s some underlying issue as to why #1-5 are in that spot. They don’t just randomly boom to the top out of the blue. Any insight you can share?

Initial hype, being a spawn server, having all items in shops

There’s tons of spawn servers. Where does the hype come from for specific servers? Since this one isn’t around anymore hopefully it’s ok to say, if not remove, but soul split wasn’t a spawn server. How’d it go from nothing to #1 for years? They had to have some very strategic marketing to gain that amount of volume passing through their server and a team big enough to support that volume.

Sysadmin

Postby Rapsey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:33 pm

They shut down their server every 3-4 years, do a full reset and then reopen it under a different name. That way they maintain the cycle of hype and prevent things from inevitably becoming stale (and ultra-progressed veterans from dominating the game too much).

This also gives them the opportunity to do a full source upgrade very easily, getting a bunch of "updates" without having to put in all the effort of porting all their features to a new source (since no one expects them to keep every single feature). This full reset cycle also prevents their donations from drying up.

Premium Donator

Postby Slap a ho » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Rapsey wrote:

They shut down their server every 3-4 years, do a full reset and then reopen it under a different name. That way they maintain the cycle of hype and prevent things from inevitably becoming stale (and ultra-progressed veterans from dominating the game too much).

This also gives them the opportunity to do a full source upgrade very easily, getting a bunch of "updates" without having to put in all the effort of porting all their features to a new source (since no one expects them to keep every single feature). This full reset cycle also prevents their donations from drying up.

Ok, well that makes more sense. I had a feeling but wasn’t sure that the rebranding was occurring. So allow me to ask this then: If other servers are doing these rebrands, couldn’t we perform a rebrand as well without deleting all the server data? I would assume you don’t have the capital to afford marketing it to efficiently pull of a proper rebrand?

In addition to a rebrand, those players spoken about in another thread (regarding banning/unbanning players), it would put value into reviewing old cases of player punishments to hopefully open up the readdition of older players returning. Is there reasons why something like this wouldn’t be feasible?

Premium Donator

Postby Blackbird » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Rapsey wrote:(and ultra-progressed veterans from dominating the game too much).

Eco reset confirmed

Sysadmin

Postby Rapsey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Slap a ho wrote:Ok, well that makes more sense. I had a feeling but wasn’t sure that the rebranding was occurring. So allow me to ask this then: If other servers are doing these rebrands, couldn’t we perform a rebrand as well without deleting all the server data? I would assume you don’t have the capital to afford marketing it to efficiently pull of a proper rebrand?

In addition to a rebrand, those players spoken about in another thread (regarding banning/unbanning players), it would put value into reviewing old cases of player punishments to hopefully open up the readdition of older players returning. Is there reasons why something like this wouldn’t be feasible?

I don't see how. In order to get the hype effect players need to believe they are joining a (relatively) fresh server/community. Without any resets the economy will still be as evolved as it is now, and it would be very public knowledge that it's really just PkHonor with a new name. It wouldn't feel like a brand new adventure.

You can't do a marketing rebrand like you see in the real world. Not with a small community where everyone is constantly talking to each other. Unless perhaps if there is some kind of major change that convinces people it's not the same server anymore (like new owners or something), but even then I'm not sure it would do much if nothing gets reset and everyone knows it's still PkHonor.

You can turn it any way you like but in the end humans have an almost obsessive conviction that old things are boring and new things are better and exciting. It's just a matter of believing.

Addict

Postby Joby » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:02 pm

Advertise free shit. People love the word "FREE" and use the word "NEW!" even if it's not necessarily all that new. I believe Rapsey has a point that people see an old server and just think "oh I already tried that" but I also think people can be convinced to come back. Make the beginning features of the game more appealing.
Perhaps give players a list of contacts upon joining that could be contacted so players have someone to talk to. I know there was the "help" channel, but honestly it wasn't that helpful. If Players felt more involved in the community from the start I think they'd be more likely to stay.

Game Administrator

Postby Admin adam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:21 pm

In terms of simple things that will get more people involved and keep them involved, here are a few random things.

• Set up poll booths to open up the suggestion page.
  • Add the ::clans command to take them to the clan page. viewtopic.php?f=73&t=69782
  • Reward people for linking their ingame account to a forums account. Something like 50-100m and limit the amount of accounts you can register per device to prevent abuse.
  • 2 extra combat lamps for setting a pin
  • Increase the time of bonus exp for new accounts

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion