Ideas for getting newer players?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Premium Donator

Re: Ideas for getting newer players?

Postby Iron gosu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 am

A way to get new players and for them to stay is having consistent content. For example, the server I notice been popping is the server, dreamscape, and constantly have YouTubers making content for the server. This hypes up new players in wanting the same experience. I have been playing this server for many years and I would be sad to see the game dead in the future.

Cheers,
Iron Gosu

Developer

Postby Skiller » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:55 am

I didn't realize the divide between wilderness and non had gotten that substantial? I personally think that wildy should always be more profitable, but not necessarily to an extreme. You have much more to lose killing wildy bosses, so they should be more valuable when you do. However, if drops inside the wilderness need to be reduce to balance this better, I'm all for it.

You say there is an issue with yell without saying exactly what the issue is, unless I'm misunderstanding your grammar. I do think yell can be a bit much at times though, perhaps we could do to restrict it a bit, or find a way to reduce the amount for those who are not interested in parts. Perhaps a filter option that you can toggle which only shows messages from those within your zone of the game, like wildy/edge vs elsewhere?

As for the development side, it's entirely Mike's work that's being released in-game these days. Andres hasn't developed new content in a couple months, and Rapsey's focus is not on the in-game content. That's why it's slow. I would like more communication from the development team in terms of what to expect and when, and if those deadlines are not met provide reasons why. I'd also like to see some way to encourage development from someone like Andres or Donderstone2, who have the rank of developer yet aren't actively contributing. Call me an ass or ungrateful, but like, I wouldn't expect to keep my helper status if I didn't continue to help, and no mod would keep theirs if they weren't performing their duties.

I think this thread will be helpful for coming up with ways we can help the server, and I hope new players will see that.

Honor Player

Postby Adamthalion » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:08 am

Skiller wrote:I didn't realize the divide between wilderness and non had gotten that substantial? I personally think that wildy should always be more profitable, but not necessarily to an extreme. You have much more to lose killing wildy bosses, so they should be more valuable when you do. However, if drops inside the wilderness need to be reduce to balance this better, I'm all for it.

Wilderness bossing is the best money by far. I would do wilderness bosses over corp/nex any day. Clans can lock down bosses, but its not as bad as people make it seem. If you have a basic understanding about pvp and antipking, its pretty easy to stay alive. Of course this does mean that new players aren't going to be able to make maximum money per hour, but why should they?

The real problem is the lack of variety in drops from bosses. We started heading in the right direction with that big pvm update and the wilderness boss drop tables, but it wasn't enough. We need to introduce items that arent on other drop tables. Noted herbs, secondaries, ores, bars, raw food, cooked food, logs, gems, planks, etc.

Also KQ got fucked with no compensation through increased drops. So that has become complete dead content.

Skiller wrote:You say there is an issue with yell without saying exactly what the issue is, unless I'm misunderstanding your grammar.

Toxic staff members tbh

Skiller wrote:I'd also like to see some way to encourage development from someone like Andres or Donderstone2, who have the rank of developer yet aren't actively contributing. Call me an ass or ungrateful, but like, I wouldn't expect to keep my helper status if I didn't continue to help, and no mod would keep theirs if they weren't performing their duties.

Completely agree. No one should have a rank for something they did in the past. Seems sort of pointless. (Sorry Patel)

Developer

Postby Skiller » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:13 am

Admin adam wrote:
Skiller wrote:I didn't realize the divide between wilderness and non had gotten that substantial? I personally think that wildy should always be more profitable, but not necessarily to an extreme. You have much more to lose killing wildy bosses, so they should be more valuable when you do. However, if drops inside the wilderness need to be reduce to balance this better, I'm all for it.

Wilderness bossing is the best money by far. I would do wilderness bosses over corp/nex any day. Clans can lock down bosses, but its not as bad as people make it seem. If you have a basic understanding about pvp and antipking, its pretty easy to stay alive. Of course this does mean that new players aren't going to be able to make maximum money per hour, but why should they?

The real problem is the lack of variety in drops from bosses. We started heading in the right direction with that big pvm update and the wilderness boss drop tables, but it wasn't enough. We need to introduce items that arent on other drop tables. Noted herbs, secondaries, ores, bars, raw food, cooked food, logs, gems, planks, etc.

Also KQ got fucked with no compensation through increased drops. So that has become complete dead content.

Happened to Barrelchest too iirc. Would be good to figure out a way to boost both of them.

Admin adam wrote:
Skiller wrote:I'd also like to see some way to encourage development from someone like Andres or Donderstone2, who have the rank of developer yet aren't actively contributing. Call me an ass or ungrateful, but like, I wouldn't expect to keep my helper status if I didn't continue to help, and no mod would keep theirs if they weren't performing their duties.

Completely agree. No one should have a rank for something they did in the past. Seems sort of pointless. (Sorry Patel)

See for me there's a big difference between Andres and Patel, in that the rank Patel holds is specifically designated as being on to commemorate the work they did. Andres still holds a rank that implies he will do something again.

Premium Donator

Postby Will be ok » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:23 am

Yell has gotten what I find to be extremely toxic as of lately (myself included)
Staff should start giving out harsh punishments for this. ( I understand I’m apart of the problem)

As for new players in wilderness maybe somthing along the lines of new IP’s to the server have a choice to get a 8hour wilderness protection.
1) IP will make it impossible for veterans to make new aces to safely camp wilderness bosses’
2)will give these new players some type of support
3) can have the choice to take it or to decline it weather their intentions are to PK or PVM
(This wilderness protection is only active for the first 8hour game play of account)

Premium Donator

Postby Egolith » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:28 am

You say there is an issue with yell without saying exactly what the issue is, unless I'm misunderstanding your grammar. I do think yell can be a bit much at times though, perhaps we could do to restrict it a bit, or find a way to reduce the amount for those who are not interested in parts. Perhaps a filter option that you can toggle which only shows messages from those within your zone of the game, like wildy/edge vs elsewhere?

As for the development side, it's entirely Mike's work that's being released in-game these days. Andres hasn't developed new content in a couple months, and Rapsey's focus is not on the in-game content. That's why it's slow. I would like more communication from the development team in terms of what to expect and when, and if those deadlines are not met provide reasons why. I'd also like to see some way to encourage development from someone like Andres or Donderstone2, who have the rank of developer yet aren't actively contributing. Call me an ass or ungrateful, but like, I wouldn't expect to keep my helper status if I didn't continue to help, and no mod would keep theirs if they weren't performing their duties.

I think this thread will be helpful for coming up with ways we can help the server, and I hope new players will see that.

I don't think there needs to be a reduction in the wilderness money making, but perhaps some increase in the ones that aren't in the wildy or both. I remember that Kalphite Queen used to be a great consistent money maker before the wildy revamp. I personally liked grinding a Kalphite Queen for the drops that I could high alch and make good money. Nowadays Kalphite Queen's drop table has been nerfed and all the wildy bosses drops became nearly the same amount of gp/hour as KQ before the revamp. What if we make PvM monsters drop rate for items in the non-wildy and wildy increase so that gp/hour is increased overall? This topic specifically could be discussed on it's own, as I know there is a lot of thoughts and effects that would happen from changes to drop rates and gp/hour increases.

To clarify, there is a lot of toxicity that can be brought up in yell. I've seen thing from pkers trash talking to players baiting someone into responding to them negatively to "PvPers vs PvMers" fights. That's not something I would like be promoted to new players who have yell on and think that we all are just toxic/salty/immature players.
I do like the idea of a proximity yell, however I am not sure on how to implement something that can still be used for the above mentioned issues.

Throwing this out there, but maybe we should have community events where people who want to can participate in creating new content for an in-game reward and/or badge? Also an ability for us veterans to beta-test upcoming updates before release on a beta-testing server would be cool and reduce bug exploits.

That's what I hope to aim for in this thread. If anything, I want to bring awareness to the newer players that we welcome you and want to get better.

Honor Player

Postby Adamthalion » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:35 am

Will be ok wrote:1) IP will make it impossible for veterans to make new aces to safely camp wilderness bosses’

Plenty of ways around that my friend

Premium Donator

Postby Lieven » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:57 am

Admin adam wrote:
Will be ok wrote:1) IP will make it impossible for veterans to make new aces to safely camp wilderness bosses’

Plenty of ways around that my friend

drop shit from main, VPN, train a few minutes and go ham
hi

Postby Thearlygamer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:09 am

Another problem I haven't read in this discussion is with PkHonor being so old, it's hard for new players to come in and start bossing (which a lot of PVMers love to do on a RSPS), without having +5 people in BIS gear at every boss.

HUGE part of the reason why IMO ironman is so enjoyable/popular

Premium Donator

Postby Braxton » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:21 am

No matter what you do or where you go, there will always be trolls, dickheads, people who whine everytime they fail to do something or have worst case scenario happen. I mean I still hear people cry everyday being killed in the wilderness. This is Runescape and you're going to lose your shit at some point.

I think there is plenty of variety in content and money making and this economy is honestly better than what's going around. Private servers are a lot less popular than back in the day, and unfortunately you can't convince people to play. But pkhonor offers a whole lot more in content,.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion