Duo slayer

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Programmer
User avatar
Posts: 4958
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: PkHonor HQ

Duo slayer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Something that was suggested a long time ago but kinda forgotten about: duo slayer.

After reading up on it on the OSRS wiki, it seems very simple and straightforward - definitely no more than a day's work to implement. However, the actual mechanics of the duo slayer are unknown to me and I can't find anywhere that explains it well enough.

What I understood so far: two players (both of whom are currently not on a slayer task) can partner up, by one of them using an enchanted gem on the other player and the other player accepting the invitation. They will then end up having the same slayer task assigned by a slayer master.

However, the actual mechanics are lost upon me and I can't find any proper documentation or information regarding duo slayer.

So I'll need an answer to a few questions before I can properly implement it:
> Do both players have to individually talk to a slayer master to get their task, or does only one of the players get a task assigned and it will be automatically and instantly assigned to the partner as well?
> What happens when one player is done with their task (but the other is not) and goes to a slayer master for a new task?
> What happens when one of the players is offline while the other is getting a new assignment?

Known Venturer
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Duo slayer

Postby Pvm keagan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Mike wrote:Something that was suggested a long time ago but kinda forgotten about: duo slayer.

After reading up on it on the OSRS wiki, it seems very simple and straightforward - definitely no more than a day's work to implement. However, the actual mechanics of the duo slayer are unknown to me and I can't find anywhere that explains it well enough.

What I understood so far: two players (both of whom are currently not on a slayer task) can partner up, by one of them using an enchanted gem on the other player and the other player accepting the invitation. They will then end up having the same slayer task assigned by a slayer master.

However, the actual mechanics are lost upon me and I can't find any proper documentation or information regarding duo slayer.

So I'll need an answer to a few questions before I can properly implement it:
> Do both players have to individually talk to a slayer master to get their task, or does only one of the players get a task assigned and it will be automatically and instantly assigned to the partner as well?
> What happens when one player is done with their task (but the other is not) and goes to a slayer master for a new task?
> What happens when one of the players is offline while the other is getting a new assignment?



Hi Mike, I hope these answers can provide you with some help;

1. For a duo slayer task to undergo both players have to have to have either the same task or one player has the task and then is able to share that task with another who does not yet have a task but also has the same slayer level and quests completed in order to partake in that task.

2. When doing the task both players tasks will count down as one, for example; Player A & B have a slayer task of 131 hellhounds. Player A kills 121 hell hounds which then means player A & B both 10 hellhounds left. From what I remember both players need to meet a set amount in order acquire the reward at the end or else just one player will achieve it.

3. I can't for say on this one as I'm sure but for me I would of thought if one player does not partake within slayer task for 5-10minutes then tthe task is reset to just a normal task. I would think the same is for if one logs out.

Hope this helps.
Image

Premium Donator
User avatar
Posts: 16921
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 am
Location: Over there in that one place

Re: Duo slayer

Postby Azu rite » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Can you make it like rs2's slayer partner, where you and your partner gets assigned the task and the kills you and your partner do counts towards the overall total? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but on osrs each person gets a separate task of the same monster, and get a separate number to kill. (Ex. player a gets 350 Abby demons player b gets 300). Which imo is broken...
Image

Programmer
User avatar
Posts: 4958
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: PkHonor HQ

Re: Duo slayer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks for the input - I didn't expect RS2 (/3) and OSRS to have different mechanics concerning duo slayer. However, in OSRS, I do wonder how to prevent players from abusing it through the following:
> Player A gets tasked with, say, goblins
> Player B gets the same task (goblins)
> Player A is done with their task (but player B is not) and goes back to the slayer master. Since B is assigned goblins and both players want to do the same task, he'd get assigned goblins again. Or can you never get the same task assigned twice in a row?

Once the specifics (abuse prevention) have been figured out, I'll set up a poll to ask our community which they prefer - to have a shared pool or to have their own amount to kill for each player.

Known Venturer
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Duo slayer

Postby Pvm keagan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Mike wrote:Thanks for the input - I didn't expect RS2 (/3) and OSRS to have different mechanics concerning duo slayer. However, in OSRS, I do wonder how to prevent players from abusing it through the following:
> Player A gets tasked with, say, goblins
> Player B gets the same task (goblins)
> Player A is done with their task (but player B is not) and goes back to the slayer master. Since B is assigned goblins and both players want to do the same task, he'd get assigned goblins again. Or can you never get the same task assigned twice in a row?

Once the specifics (abuse prevention) have been figured out, I'll set up a poll to ask our community which they prefer - to have a shared pool or to have their own amount to kill for each player.


The chances of being the same task twice in a row is possible but not always likely. I think having it so players share the pool would be easier because each having their own amount to kill would just mean they are on their own task wouldn't be much of a duo?

When you think Duo you would think they would kill the same amount as a team in order to achieve something.
Image

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:07 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Duo slayer

Postby Adamthalion » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 pm

I don't know much about this on osrs. It is pretty much dead content there. I can look into it later today though.

Premium Donator
User avatar
Posts: 16921
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 am
Location: Over there in that one place

Re: Duo slayer

Postby Azu rite » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Adamthalion wrote:I don't know much about this on osrs. It is pretty much dead content there. I can look into it later today though.

Dead content because there's no reward shop for it, and each person has to kill different amounts. Different amounts means you have to wait for the other to finish which cuts down on xp/hour
Image

Premium Donator
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Re: Duo slayer

Postby James » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Unlike most things I wouldn't mind if you added your own twist to duo slayer. It's dead content on OSRS, it'll be even worse on here if you keep it the same.
Image

Known Venturer
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Re: Duo slayer

Postby Pvm keagan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:07 pm

James wrote:Unlike most things I wouldn't mind if you added your own twist to duo slayer. It's dead content on OSRS, it'll be even worse on here if you keep it the same.


I agree, I think if said that players have to kill an equal amount on the same task that counts down when both are near each other and the shop holds items that you can't obtain other than through this sort of system it wouldn't be so much dead content.
Image

Premium Donator
User avatar
Posts: 1965
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Re: Duo slayer

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Increased exp
Increased pk points
Increased drop rate

Unique cosmetic items from a duo slayer store
Image

Next

Return to Developers Blog

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest