Completionist cape (chaos) rework

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.

Do you agree with the proposed change to the Completionist caps (chaos)?

Yes, I agree to make the speed increase depend on a weapon's base attack speed
77%
No, I disagree. Keep everything the way it currently works
21%
Other (or I don't have a strong opinion on this)
2%

Total votes: 91

Mike
Programmer

Completionist cape (chaos) rework

Post by Mike » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:36 pm

I've never been a huge fan of making exceptions to game mechanics for just one or two weapons. That's also the main reason that the Toxic blowpipe + Completionist cape (chaos) combination has remained untouched since its inception several years ago. However, it remains an issue to date and slightly lowering the offensive bonuses of the Completionist cape (chaos) didn't really put much of a dent in this machine gun combo.

As such, we are hoping that a slight rework of the Completionist cape (chaos) will solve this problem, while still allowing for fast boss kills and adding extra opportunities for other weapons.

I know that many of you are not a fan of nerfs (especially when it's about the best-in-slot combination of equipment in many situations), but this wouldn't just be a nerf. It would also be a major buff for other top tier weapons to put them right where they belong. In some cases, this would result in slower kills, but we will partly compensate this by further lowering the defence on a number of bosses to minimize the impact and to make sure that the overall damage per second (DPS) output for our best-in-slot (BIS) ranged setup remains pretty much the same.

The idea is as follows: the weapon speed increase of the Completionist cape (chaos) is no longer just +1 tick, but +0.5, +1 or +2 ticks depending on the base attack speed of your weapon:
  • The attack speed of 3 tick weapons (Toxic blowpipe, knives and darts) is increased by 1 tick every 2 attacks (alternating between attacking at normal speed and attacking at a +1 tick speed increase), thus +0.5 ticks on average.
  • The attack speed of 4 and 5 tick weapons (whips, Ghrazi rapier, Scythe of vitur, ...) is increased by 1 tick (same as before).
  • The attack speed of 6+ tick weapons (Twisted bow, Dark bow, Chaotic maul, Elder maul, Godswords, Battleaxes, Warhammers, Dharok's greataxe, ...) is increased by 2 ticks.
Additionally, the negative (-5) offensive bonuses on the Completionist cape (chaos) will be removed and we will further nerf the defence of the following bosses (for some more than for others):
  • General Graardor
  • Commander Zilyana
  • K'ril Tsutsaroth
  • Kree'arra
  • Dagannoth Prime
  • Crazy archaeologist
  • Chaos fanatic
  • Kalphite queen (both forms)
  • Kraken
  • Barrelchest
  • Demonic gorilla
  • Giant mole
  • Cerberus
  • Lizardman shaman
  • Vorkath
Furthermore, the hitpoints of the Barrelchests will be lowered to 134 (from 450) and they will no longer be immune to poison or venom (so they match their OSRS version). Their droprates will be halved, but their profitability per hour will still remain higher than before because of the major HP decrease.
As for the Lizardman shamans, we will increase their droprates on the Dragon warhammer with 40% (7/10,000 instead of 5/10,000), which should more than compensate for slower kills with the BIS ranged setup.
On the other hand, Skotizo will receive a buff to its defence (but obviously no higher than in OSRS) as the new Twisted bow + Completionist cape (chaos) would otherwise make it much faster to kill than before.

The overall result is that the weapon speed increase by the Completionist cape (chaos) will be far more balanced for all our weapons, we won't have to start making exceptions for any top tier weapons and the BIS ranged setup is still about as good as it was before (except the Toxic blowpipe will be replaced by the Twisted bow as BIS weapon in most cases, as it should be).

Please understand that it is not, nor has it ever been, our intention to make monster kills slower on PkHonor. Our players enjoy fast kills and obtaining the Completionist cape (especially in combination with a Whip of chaos) is something that should result in one of the strongest pieces of equipment in the game. We do not want to take that away, but we do believe that an appropriate rebalancing is in order.

To illustrate, we have run a number of simulations on several of our bosses to assess their DPS before and after these changes will be made. This is the current situation (the numbers displayed are DPS or average Damage Per Second with the best possible gear):

And this would be the new situation with the Completionist cape (chaos), also taking into account the removal of the -5 offensive bonuses and lowering the defence of the monsters listed above (less than 100% in the last column means slower kills, over 100% means faster kills):

As you can see, with the appropriate defence nerfs, a lot of kills get close to being as fast to kill as before this change. For the few exceptions where kills are quite a bit slower than before in BIS gear (Barrelchests and Lizardman Shamans), we will apply the appropriate changes as stated above to compensate.

In addition, the chart below illustrates how the boss defence nerfs affect the speed at which you can kill each boss before and after the changes to their defence (see "Scythe new vs old"), as well as how much more DPS you will be able to get out of a full Dharok's setup when combined with the Completionist cape (chaos) because of its speed buff (not that I would recommend using it against bosses, but you get the point):

In other words, this change also provides a great opportunity for powertraining melee with Dharok's greataxe, as the combination of full Dharok's with the completionist cape (chaos) will outperform most (if not all) other melee setups in terms of DPS when used at 1 hitpoint.

It is also apparent that when not using the BIS ranged setup, many bosses (such as General Graardor and Demonic gorillas) will become significantly faster to kill (up to 40%, this applies to any setup, not just the Scythe). As such, we do not believe that a change to their droprates is in order. This additionally makes many bosses easier to kill for newer players, which is also a bonus in its own right.

Please note that this poll is merely meant to get an indication of where the majority of the community stands on this matter. It is still up to us to make the final decision. Constructive feedback is always welcome, of course.

Mitrovic
Premium Donator

Re: Completionist cape (chaos) rework

Post by Mitrovic » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:51 pm

Great job, I absolutely love this. Credits to whoever took the time to make all this tables. These numbers look excellent to me.

Kash

Post by Kash » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:26 pm

From the MANY mixed responses from the community regarding the recent chaos comp cape update, a middle ground definitely had to be found.

If this isn’t the best “middle ground” decision, I don’t know what is!

Kudos to the dev team for the data collated from all the testing!

I’ve a good feeling about this one.
Image <-- Click Here!

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:50 pm

Mitrovic wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:51 pm Great job, I absolutely love this. Credits to whoever took the time to make all this tables. These numbers look excellent to me.
Couldn't of said it better myself. This update will be future proof.

Gj to all the ppl who worked on this!

Empty
Honor Player

Post by Empty » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:58 pm

I'm very excited to see this.
Good job Michael!

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:16 pm

I'd like to see the dps for Zuk with tbow, also the ToB bosses (tbow and scythe), Nex, and Nightmare
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Slayer

Post by Slayer » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:27 pm

Excited about these changes, Great work!

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:43 pm

Also Nomad DPS wiht scythe, tbow, and current magma bp
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:57 pm

Thearlygamer wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:16 pm I'd like to see the dps for Zuk with tbow, also the ToB bosses (tbow and scythe), Nex, and Nightmare
I tried to run simulations with TzKal-zuk, but ran into some issues which completely messed up the results, so I can't give any accurate numbers for it (I can try to fix the issues, but have already spent more time than I care to admit on this whole thing).

As for Nex (BIS gear with Completionist cape (chaos)):

The small difference you see in Scythe DPS is purely down to error margins in our simulations. If anything, the Scythe + Completionist cape (chaos) will be slightly stronger than before, as the -5 offensive bonuses will be removed (it's perfectly possible that I forgot to change those stats in between old vs new simulations, but their impact is fairly minimal anyway).

I could try to run some simulations for Theatre of Blood bosses, but haven't done so yet.

As for the Nightmare, it has a really high ranged defence, so any kind of ranged weapon is pretty useless against it. That's why I did not include it in my simulations because (except for melee weapons with 6+ attack speed) there will be no noticeable difference in damage output.

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:00 pm

If it's not too hard can we see alch hydra dps changes