Chaotic weapon rebalancing

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.

Should we lower the stats of the Chaotic crossbow, rapier and maul?

Yes, lower the bonuses of the Chaotic crossbow, rapier and maul as proposed
52%
Yes, lower the bonuses of the Chaotic crossbow, rapier and maul, but not exactly as proposed (post your suggested stat changes below)
6%
Yes, lower them to be exactly as the Armadyl crossbow, Ghrazi rapier and Elder maul, so they become a degradeable version of these weapons
9%
No, leave the bonuses exactly as they are
26%
I don't have a strong opinion about this
7%

Total votes: 54

Lykos
Premium Donator

Re: Chaotic weapon rebalancing

Post by Lykos » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:37 pm

Wrote several sentences out and kept deleting and rewriting them over again. I suppose this is really a decision that heavily effects pkers more than pvmers.
(I guess irons too? And also not being able to hit 70+ on Cerberus with the chaotic maul?) So I don't quite have the right knowledge to suggest what would be best.

If we really wanna be giga brained, we could just outright nerf the chaotics to shit, buff the dragon crossbow and ghrazi rapier to infinity, and then just let the elder maul be BiS for both pvp and pvm.
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 am

What if the stats simply got swapped? It'd make these (and upcoming like elder maul) weapons very strong and BiS, AKA worth the cost and effort doing long grinds or hard content while still having chaotics as weaker alternatives. It'd probably be a somewhat small nerf for PvM but if acquiring them stays the same it'll still be relatively easy to get and recharge until you can afford the non-degrading BiS items.

Could also make them or the repair kits more expensive. Or add an indirect handicap to them like making them lose charges really quickly and/or being unable to repair them at all, replacing the ones in the shop with fully charged ones.

Also, remove them from the store and add them as an actual drop from lost souls.
Lost Souls would become the place(s) to go for noobs. Newer players would be encouraged to go into the wildy and could even get motivated to PK. They'd accumulate points while grinding for a chaotic which means they'll get curses quite easily whilst not intentionally grinding for the points. Noobs having easier access to curses would level the playing field a bit for PvP. If they're lucky they could also get a salve amulet as a drop and sell it which means they'll get curses ez or they'll be able to quite rapidly afford donor or prem.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:11 am

Fungamer wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 am What if the stats simply got swapped? It'd make these (and upcoming like elder maul) weapons very strong and BiS, AKA worth the cost and effort doing long grinds or hard content while still having chaotics as weaker alternatives. It'd probably be a somewhat small nerf for PvM but if acquiring them stays the same it'll still be relatively easy to get and recharge until you can afford the non-degrading BiS items.
Although I understand the reasoning behind this idea, I'm not that much in favor of buffing OSRS items beyond what they are on OSRS. For one, it creates major inconsistencies with OSRS, which I really prefer to avoid. I know, I know, we're an RSPS and we get to make our own decisions, but still, I feel that Jagex realized what they did wrong in pre-eoc RS3 (releasing one overpowered item after the other), have learned from those mistakes and are doing their best to create a more balanced experience in OSRS. Aside from a few items (*cough* toxic blowpipe *cough*), it definitely feels that they're doing much better this time around.
As such, I feel like the mistakes need to be corrected and we too ought to learn from Jagex their mistakes (and from how they are trying to recitify them, as they did with the blowpipe a few months ago), but we shouldn't be trying to correct our (or rather Jagex') mistakes by making even more mistakes.

I think the best way to go about this is to make items situational and keep them all around the same stats that the BIS items in OSRS have. Or that's my opinion about this matter, anyway.

Either way, it seems to me that one of the biggest concerns about the Chaotic items is that they are far too easy to obtain with PkHonor points, as compared to how hard the other items are to get through bossing or minigames. I understand this and we'll make sure to introduce changes in the future to address this particular issue.
Fungamer wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 am Also, remove them from the store and add them as an actual drop from lost souls.
Lost Souls would become the place(s) to go for noobs. Newer players would be encouraged to go into the wildy and could even get motivated to PK. They'd accumulate points while grinding for a chaotic which means they'll get curses quite easily whilst not intentionally grinding for the points. Noobs having easier access to curses would level the playing field a bit for PvP. If they're lucky they could also get a salve amulet as a drop and sell it which means they'll get curses ez or they'll be able to quite rapidly afford donor or prem.
This idea, I do like. We'll think some more about it, but definitely something to consider.

Thank you all for the constructive feedback. Please keep it (and the votes) coming!

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:17 am

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:11 am
Fungamer wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 am What if the stats simply got swapped? It'd make these (and upcoming like elder maul) weapons very strong and BiS, AKA worth the cost and effort doing long grinds or hard content while still having chaotics as weaker alternatives. It'd probably be a somewhat small nerf for PvM but if acquiring them stays the same it'll still be relatively easy to get and recharge until you can afford the non-degrading BiS items.
Although I understand the reasoning behind this idea, I'm not that much in favor of buffing OSRS items beyond what they are on OSRS. For one, it creates major inconsistencies with OSRS, which I really prefer to avoid. I know, I know, we're an RSPS and we get to make our own decisions, but still, I feel that Jagex realized what they did wrong in pre-eoc RS3 (releasing one overpowered item after the other), have learned from those mistakes and are doing their best to create a more balanced experience in OSRS. Aside from a few items (*cough* toxic blowpipe *cough*), it definitely feels that they're doing much better this time around.
As such, I feel like the mistakes need to be corrected and we too ought to learn from Jagex their mistakes (and from how they are trying to recitify them, as they did with the blowpipe a few months ago), but we shouldn't be trying to correct our (or rather Jagex') mistakes by making even more mistakes.

Make items situational and keep them all around the same stats that the BIS items in OSRS have. Or that's my opinion about this matter, anyway.
Fair enough, I realize how chaotics really are very strong and them being easy to get isn't the only issue with them. I'm in favor of the suggested nerfs on the OP.
Spoiler: show
Oops, you edited your post already lol
What do you think about this btw?
Also, remove them from the store and add them as an actual drop from lost souls.

Chaotics will still be quite strong and them simply being in a store doesn't feel right to me. Could have some nice side effects if they were added to Lost Souls.

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:24 am

Yeah can't have item stats differ (much) from what they are on osrs. stat swapping not really an option but swapping out all items could be. So convert all existing chaotic rapiers to ghrazi and add chaotic rapier to tob drop table for example. Then take the opportunity to add cmaul to cox but put the elder maul in the bounty hunter store instead of pkp shop or just keep it there in pkp shop coz it's a pvp only item tbf. Same with CCB give it to sara as a drop and toss acb in pkp shop/bounty hunter shop. Or also sara but as a more common drop something like that. Problem with ccb/acb is that it's more of a different item so might not want to do it for that.
#Justice4Church

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:37 am

The underdog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:24 am Yeah can't have item stats differ (much) from what they are on osrs. stat swapping not really an option but swapping out all items could be. So convert all existing chaotic rapiers to ghrazi and add chaotic rapier to tob drop table for example. Then take the opportunity to add cmaul to cox but put the elder maul in the bounty hunter store instead of pkp shop or just keep it there in pkp shop coz it's a pvp only item tbf. Same with CCB give it to sara as a drop and toss acb in pkp shop/bounty hunter shop. Or also sara but as a more common drop something like that. Problem with ccb/acb is that it's more of a different item so might not want to do it for that.
Eh not really a fan of it tbh. Players expect to get certain items from certain bosses. Change it (even if it'd be exactly the same stats) and for lack of a better words to convey how I just feel about it in my gut, the server would feel ghetto af. Can't really explain it though. Feels like those mobile knockoff games that even use similar (or familiar) titles and offer the same core experience albeit boiled down.

Sniper wolf
Premium Donator

Post by Sniper wolf » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:35 am

keep the chaotics as they are, increase the pkp price in shops. Thats the beauty of Pkhonor, players can still enjoy things from the past when Rs was at its best (before eoc).

Hotelbooks
Premium Donator

Post by Hotelbooks » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:38 am

Eye of ra wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:23 pm Completely remove ingeneral and compensate people by giving them pkp equivalent :kekw:
I’m quitting the game then because I collected my chaotics for nothing :(

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:35 am

Hotelbooks wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:38 am
Eye of ra wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:23 pm Completely remove ingeneral and compensate people by giving them pkp equivalent :kekw:
I’m quitting the game then because I collected my chaotics for nothing :(
I don't think we want to remove them from the game. They may not be in OSRS, but they fit the theme of the game and having them gives us opportunities to play around with them, as we are doing now. I do agree that they should be harder to obtain. Inb4 everyone buys massive stocks of all chaotics before they get harder to obtain.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:13 am

Do this. Remove them from the game, refund 0%-50% back to players and add chaotic weapons ornament kits for their counterparts : chaotic crossbow ornament kit for armadyl crossbow, chaotic maul ornament kit for elder maul, chaotic staff ornament kit for toxic staff of the dead, chaotic rapier ornament kit for ghrazi rapier and chaotic longsword ornament kit for blade of saeldor ( if it gets added). Add them to the PkP store, slightly inflated prices so whoever buys the ornament kits gets to flex them on other players ( 10k-25k pkp a kit or something along those lines).

Solves the power creep ( no more near bis items that are free to obtain and have little to no requirements ) and technically speaking, you are not removing them from the game, you are reintroducing them as cosmetic overrides!