New random event

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

New random event

Post by Mike » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:02 am

For some time now, several people have made claims of being able to bot on PkHonor. Although using autoclickers is allowed, we require the player to be present with their account when they do so and always keep an eye on it. This is to ensure fairness within the community, as everyone has to make an equal effort to gather xp, supplies or pkhonor points. Autoclickers then just makes it a bit easier since you don't have to do that boring click every time.

To enforce this rule, we had added a random event a while ago, which takes you to Bob's island. You can only leave through using the portal in the middle of the island. If you stay for 1 minute, a demon will spawn, which you cannot kill and who will hit you for 1 hp per hit until you die.
The random event is only triggered by a mouse click on an object (or shop item if shopping), therefore we know for sure that the player is with their account (because they had to use a mouse to click) and that the player will be able to solve a very simple task.

However, there have been claims of people being able to beat this system, either by using a cheat client or by using autoclickers and not minding the fact that they die (because they dont lose anything when dying by the demon - just their inventory which is often empty).
Therefore, I have designed a new random event which is far more advanced than the one we have now. I will release it along with the construction skill.
Aside from being more advanced, trees, rocks and fishing spots will be made as such that you will get the random event somewhat more when you click it (the current random event rate at trees is too low).

Furthermore, the random event will now offer 4 portals, only one of which is correct. The correct portal will be marked by an arrow, so it's a very simple task for a human and anyone will understand it.
If you choose the correct one, you will receive a few (5 or so) PkHonor Points and be teleported back where you came from.
Choosing the wrong option once (some people are that stupid) will give you a warning that you will lose pkhonor points and be jailed if you click wrong again. So making one mistake is no problem.
However, if you then click the wrong portal a second time, you will lose 3% of all your PkHonor points and be sent to jail to mine 200 ore. If you die on the island through the demon (which will now only spawn after 2 minutes instead of 1), you will also lose 3% of your points and be jailed.

If you fail the random event 2 times in a row, you will lose 6% of your PkHonor points. Lose even more times and you'll lose 3% more each time, to a maximum of 30% loss of points.
Every 3 days though, one of your 'random event failures' will be removed, so people who accidentally click wrong a lot (though you'd have to be a real idiot for that) will eventually be reset to only 3% loss of pkhonor points.

The reason I'm posting this here, is because I want to give the community a chance to review this event. Do you think it's too dangerous for people to lose pkhonor points and be jailed unjustified? Or can you think of ways a bot could get around this?
Or do you have an idea for another random event, not necessarily based on this? Now is the chance to share it.

Pls senpai
Premium Donator

Re: New random event

Post by Pls senpai » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06 am

I personally don't think you should do the jail method.

Staff mostly use jail for cases, and handling things.

You don't want jail populated by 10+ people at times because they clicked the wrong portal on a random account just to troll the staff.

Why don't you make they get teleported to a different height than that of the actual ::jail1-6 command?

It'll cause less trolling than if they got jailed on the actual height.

Serving

Post by Serving » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06 am

I like the changes you've made to the current random event, and the addition of the new one.

I believe that jailing and removing points from users will make it so that rules are followed more closely.

Great job, Mike. It's little things like these that make servers a whole lot better.
Name is Marshall ..
Been around since December of 2011.
Ex-Head Forum Moderator

Stefan
Advisor

Post by Stefan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:09 am

I like it, good job Mike.

Blahblahdie
Fanatic

Post by Blahblahdie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10 am

Twerksumthin wrote:I personally don't think you should do the jail method.

You don't want jail populated by 10+ people at times because they clicked the wrong portal on a random account just to troll the staff.

Why don't you make they get teleported to a different height than that of the actual ::jail1-6 command?

Agreed ^

Stefan
Advisor

Post by Stefan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 am

Blahblahdie wrote:
Twerksumthin wrote:I personally don't think you should do the jail method.

Agreed ^
Ah yes, a ::jail7 which would be phased out of the other jails, inaccessible by staff members to use.

Rick
Premium Donator

Post by Rick » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:13 am

But Mike this is easy..

The good portal will have an other object id right? What if someone writes a bot that fixes the random also ;)

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 am

Twerksumthin wrote: Why don't you make they get teleported to a different height than that of the actual ::jail1-6 command?

That's a great idea and easy to implement. I will do just that, thank you for your input.
The reason for the jail is so that a bot would also have to find a way to get around a jail. That, along with a random event, should really take care of bots.

Serving wrote:I like the changes you've made to the current random event, and the addition of the new one.

I believe that jailing and removing points from users will make it so that rules are followed more closely.

Great job, Mike. It's little things like these that make servers a whole lot better.
Holy mother, here I was thinking all the time that I would only replace our current anti-bot system with a new one.
From your post, it seems you think I'm going to add a new one to the already existing one (therefore there being two random events instead of one). That wasn't planned originally, but after thinking about it, I'm going to do just that! Because two random events are better than one when it comes to stopping bots. Much harder to crack.

Thank you all for your input, keep it coming :)

Rick wrote:But Mike this is easy..

The good portal will have an other object id right? What if someone writes a bot that fixes the random also ;)
No, all portals will have the exact same object ID. It's just that one will have an arrow above it. So you can no longer choose based on object ID.

Pls senpai
Premium Donator

Post by Pls senpai » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:17 am

about the arrow.

Can't they just make the bot "read" the screen and look for the colour of the arrow?

Rick
Premium Donator

Post by Rick » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 am

But besides the object. The botclient can read the arrow client sided so it can solve it :P