Nex pet

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.

How should the Nex pet be obtained and should it have any special perks?

Drop: like any other boss pet (1/x chance)
19%
Drop: like any other boss pet (1/x chance), but with increased chance for each GWD pet you give to the Wise Old man
7%
Drop: first trade in all four GWD pets at the Wise Old Man before you have a chance at receiving the Nex pet at all
14%
Perks: no perks other than the usual boss pet perks (and a lucky version, of course)
7%
Perks: yes, but purely visual/cosmetic in nature
2%
Perks: yes, with one or more small but useful QoL feature(s)
14%
Perks: powerful ability/abilities
4%
Perk scope: only at Nex
10%
Perk scope: within the entire GWD
17%
Perk scope: all over the world
6%

Total votes: 230

Frigate
Premium Donator

Re: Nex pet

Post by Frigate » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:53 pm

Mike wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:49 pm
However, on top of being able to feed it an ex-ex-parrot, players may also have the ability to feed it any other GWD pet. For example, if you feed your Nex pet a Graardor Jr., it will also act as a (lucky) Graardor pet in the Bandos room. Feed it a Kree'Arra Jr. and it will also act as a (lucky) Kree'Arra pet in the Armadyl room etc.

It does mean I'll have to provide 32 different versions of the pet, but that's nothing that can't be done.
with this, does it mean the gwd bosses fed to Nex pet stacks? I really do like this idea of it tbh, was also thinking for every GWD pet fed to nex maybe reduce the killcount required by X amount? Might be redundant since there is a slayer perk for it but just throwing ideas out there.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm

Ok so personally if I were a game designer the whole feeding the pet the other GWD pets seems sick and all but as a player the GWD pets can be a little grindy and idk if I'd want to combine my only Graardor pet that will take me like 887 kc and counting (and who's counting right cause Graardor is fun immersive content). So maybe instead we just show it to the Nex pet and it lets us keep it, maybe even let the pet talk unlike all the other pets in the game and have it say "ok I see you're cracked at killing *insert gwd boss name here*, I'll help boost your drop rates when killing them" or whatever you wanna have her say. I'd do it with a talk-to option for having her tell us which bosses are left. Or what the perks are if we're done, or just have her tell us we're awesome if there's no perks, but at that point I guess she (he?) doesn't need to do any talking if there's no perks and no feeding of pets involved.

So for the drop I'd say just make it like a regular boss drop. No need for extra drop rate buffs or anything imo, although that's just because I think the only reasonable option is the 4 pet thing and I'm really not a fan of making people grind such bad content. Not that GWD in itself is bad it's just that it's super slow relative to other content and the pet rates are low and if you get crashed it costs 40 kc cause you're not buying ecumenical keys if you get crashed and if you're crashing people it just feelsbad so yeah honestly no need to force end game players to do that stuff imo. If we had more worlds it'd be one thing but that's also a bad idea so yeah I'd just skip.

For the perks and perk scope, I don't see a reason to go in either direction that significantly outweighs anything else. It's either simplicity/consistency or cool QoL features that no one will mind but also everyone can live without. Both seem reasonable. Need to see the poll
Mike wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:49 pm It does mean I'll have to provide 32 different versions of the pet, but that's nothing that can't be done.
If there wasn't a spoiler here this post would be a long wall of text:
Spoiler: show
I don't mean to tell you how to develop because obviously you know best but that also sounds particularly painful so I'll ask
Can't you move whatever little bit of code checks if the pet effect should be active into the Pet class as a function which just returns a boolean indicating whether or not the effect should be active, and call

Code: Select all

if (pet.effectIsActive(targetNPC))
wherever that check is done? And then have a class NexPet extend Pet with an overridden effectIsActive(target) method which will check our instantiated version of the Nex pet (which should have boolean class variables or something similar like a bitmask which it can reference to see which pets are combined) to see if the effect should be active at the boss?
I suppose that assumes pets exist as instantiated Pet objects and that this process would be less work than making 32 nex pets with different source boss sets and that this is even possible given the way the code is structured. But it's just something that comes to mind because that sounds like a pain and also sounds like the type of thing to cause a hassle if any bugs happen. Also if this is totally wrong and my impression of the code model is just completely not correct feel free to ignore this, these things happen, just throwing things out there just in case

Mitrovic
Premium Donator

Post by Mitrovic » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 pm

Rarity: 1 in 1k. 1 in 50 when you hand in other gwd pets to the wise old man.
Special perks: straight teleport to the nex bank outside of the room would be very nice indeed and reduced overload cancellations. When it comes to make it lucky, similar effect as other pets. +13% general droprate, +16% and attack delays for nex itself (iirc)

Pk gts
Honor Player

Post by Pk gts » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:15 pm

give it a nice op perk so that when I put nex on all 3 of my honors i can kill in 10 sec :doge:

Lane123
Premium Donator

Post by Lane123 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:24 am

Isaac wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:17 pm I'd agree with Respire that the 'special factor' of Nex has probably passed now. Nex isn't a particularly fun boss to deal with so having a pet which would help in that regard would be top of my list personally.

Regarding special perks, the only ones I would like to see personally would be the following;

- A teleport to the bank at Nex. This saves players literally 15 seconds, not a big deal.

- The pet would reduce the chance of Nex cancelling an overload by 50%.

- When entering the lair with the Nex pet it would 'weaken' the minions so you can kill them quicker, maybe a percentage decrease in their health.
I really love this idea. Tying this idea, with combing all 4 GWD pets seems pretty balanced to me. With that, im saying you STILL have to kill nexus to receive the pet. But, I would hope its just as rare as any pet. Making the pet stupidly rare compared to other pets, and ending up being a rare cosmetic seems pretty lackluster for the goal that mike presents. At least, from what I understand that is.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:13 pm

Mitrovic wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 pm Rarity: 1 in 1k. 1 in 50 when you hand in other gwd pets to the wise old man.
Taking into account what @Raj said, it shouldn't be impossible without trading in GWD pets imo, but it should be much easier if you do. 1/50 seems too low, maybe 1/100 for those who trade in? And 1/1000 otherwise?

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Patel wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:13 pm
Mitrovic wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 pm Rarity: 1 in 1k. 1 in 50 when you hand in other gwd pets to the wise old man.
Taking into account what @Raj said, it shouldn't be impossible without trading in GWD pets imo, but it should be much easier if you do. 1/50 seems too low, maybe 1/100 for those who trade in? And 1/1000 otherwise?
I think 1 in 100 is still too low, it should probably be the rarest item from nex even with the pet trade in. I would suggest 1 in 1K without the pet trade in, or 1 in 500 with pet trade in.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 pm

Will be ok2 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:51 pm I think 1 in 100 is still too low, it should probably be the rarest item from nex even with the pet trade in. I would suggest 1 in 1K without the pet trade in, or 1 in 500 with pet trade in.
I personally agree with these numbers

Iron felony
Premium Donator

Post by Iron felony » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:24 am

Perhaps the Nex pet doesnt neccesarily need to be hugely special in effect, but rather extremely difficult to obtain. I think the trading of the 4 GWD pets is a great idea

Uim legolas
Premium Donator

Post by Uim legolas » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Lots of different opinions on this one.

I agree that Nex isn't the most exciting content anymore, but the nex sets however are still max gear for melee and range, while the sets have currently reached their all time highest price.
For this reason, people will always keep killing it, and the Nex pet would bring some more excitement to the boss, and give some players another reason to go for it.

Trading in 1 of each GWD pet seems like a nice idea, even if that means I'll have to grind all GWD pets again.
As far as the drop rates go, it would indeed be nice to make it possible to obtain the Nex pet for a certain drop rate, and an increased rate once you trade in all GWD pets. Something along the lines of what will be ok said, 1 in 1k and 1 in 500 (or even 1 in 350 wish?).

As far as the perks go, I wouldn't go much further than the usual drop rate increase and maybe as some said, half the chance of your overload getting cancelled?