Instant equipment switching - yay or nay?

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.

Should players be able to instantly switch their equipment, or only once every game tick?

Allow instant equipment switching (the way it was before today's update)
55%
Process equipment switching every game cycle, the way OSRS does it (the way it is at this very moment)
45%

Total votes: 64

Mike
Programmer

Instant equipment switching - yay or nay?

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:46 pm

Quite a while ago, we had added a feature in the game to pretty much instantly process an incoming packet the moment the server receives it, rather than waiting for the next game tick. This was meant to make the game feel much smoother and to get rid of annoying delays when clicking.

On 9 January 2019, we added a change to this, so that instant equipment switching was no longer possible. This was done on purpose, because there had been complaints of people quickly switching into mage gear, casting a spell and then quickly changing their gear back to something else, all in less than a game tick.
However, in the update on 9 January 2019, we had overlooked something in the code that made instant equipment switching still possible. We fixed this in today's update.

However, not everyone seems to be a fan of this change. They like being able to instantly switch their equipment and to not have to wait for the next game cycle before it takes effect.

I'll leave it up to the community what they prefer - the way it is now or the way it was before the update. Adding this as a toggle is sadly not an option, since this affects everyone else's gameplay too.

Church
Premium Donator

Re: Instant equipment switching - yay or nay?

Post by Church » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 pm

I prefer instant switching, mostly because it's what I know at this point.

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:34 am

Church wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 pm I prefer instant switching, mostly because it's what I know at this point.
This, also it makes pkh different which is normally a good thing, as an active pker I GREATLY dislike the update I hope the tick system with equipping items gets reversed.

Hunkofman1
Known Venturer

Post by Hunkofman1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:59 am

Will be ok2 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:34 am
Church wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 pm I prefer instant switching, mostly because it's what I know at this point.
This, also it makes pkh different which is normally a good thing, as an active pker I GREATLY dislike the update I hope the tick system with equipping items gets reversed.
it's quite noticeable.
#GGLSP #GANG

Ahmed elrahi
Donator

Post by Ahmed elrahi » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:14 am

Are you trying to attract more players? Not necessarily “pkers” but just people in general?

The instant switches was janky. Yeah it felt “smooth” but it should match OSRS as it is now.

This was a great update and players will get used to it just like they got used to the instant switching.

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:26 am

I agree to keeping it as it is after the update, combat should match osrs or every other private server so that any newer players won't think that the server feels weird.

Also, teleblock spell revamp when? :zoidberg:

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:31 am

I've decided to switch my vote after some thought. Players can get used to anything they want to get used to, if need be. Matching mechanics like this to OSRS is probably the most logical thing.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:31 am

I like the osrs way for switching, but this change also seems to affect other things. Just withdrawing items and moving between interfaces also has this delay. It makes the game feel much more choppy and laggy. This was one of the things I liked about pkhonor compared to osrs. It was always so much smoother. I say revert it to the old way. Sorry pkers!

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:33 am

Iron adam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:31 am I like the osrs way for switching, but this change also seems to affect other things. Just withdrawing items and moving between interfaces also has this delay. It makes the game feel much more choppy and laggy. This was one of the things I liked about pkhonor compared to osrs. It was always so much smoother. I say revert it to the old way. Sorry pkers!
I don't know if it's possible but what if they could make it partially delayed partially instant? Have inventory switches be like osrs but have everything else smoother?

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:33 am

Church wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:33 am
Iron adam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:31 am I like the osrs way for switching, but this change also seems to affect other things. Just withdrawing items and moving between interfaces also has this delay. It makes the game feel much more choppy and laggy. This was one of the things I liked about pkhonor compared to osrs. It was always so much smoother. I say revert it to the old way. Sorry pkers!
I don't know if it's possible but what if they could make it partially delayed partially instant? Have inventory switches be like osrs but have everything else smoother?
This would be the ideal outcome if possible