Karuulm Slayer Dungeon & Alchemical Hydra

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Rizz0
Premium Donator

Re: Karuulm Slayer Dungeon & Alchemical Hydra

Post by Rizz0 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:44 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I hope to start playing again soon, I always wanted to try this boss

also, big fan of the new client login screen

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:24 pm

Let's hope it stays worthy content for longer than two weeks.
Have my hopes on medium.

Jousi
Premium Donator

Post by Jousi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Thierryu1 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:24 pm Let's hope it stays worthy content for longer than two weeks.
Have my hopes on medium.
I agree. The whole 'guaranteed item' bullshit does not make the content more attractive for more players. It simply means the majority completes (read: gets carried) through the mandatory amount of rounds to get their rare item and never bothers with Theatre of Blood ever again. Meanwhile, the players who actually like engaging the new content get a proverbial slap in the face because they've actually spent time completing several rounds of Theatre of Blood without having the rare item guarantee.

Very short-sighted. Just release the content and don't appease the uninterested majority.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Jousi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:41 pm I agree. The whole 'guaranteed item' bullshit does not make the content more attractive for more players. It simply means the majority completes (read: gets carried) through the mandatory amount of rounds to get their rare item and never bothers with Theatre of Blood ever again. Meanwhile, the players who actually like engaging the new content get a proverbial slap in the face because they've actually spent time completing several rounds of Theatre of Blood without having the rare item guarantee.

Very short-sighted. Just release the content and don't appease the uninterested majority.
This was a one-time thing, primarily targeted at getting retired players to log back on for an hour or two and hopefully get the taste for playing PkHonor again. It went hand in hand with the marketing e-mail we sent out a few days ago but of course you can't do something like this for retired players and not for the currently active ones.

I think it's rather exaggerated to act like ToB is ruined/completed after getting just one of several rare ToB rewards. Sure, there's gonna be people who claim their guaranteed rare and then never play it again. If there was no event those players would probably have never even tried ToB, and having played a few rounds should make them more likely to play it again in the future, since it's no longer unfamiliar territory for them now.

I can understand that it's a little annoying to grind out the ToB rewards and then have this event pop up 2 weeks later. On the other hand, we waited 2 weeks before doing this event precisely because we wanted to give dedicated players the chance to grind them out and get them ahead of people relying on the event. I'm sure if we had done this event on launch day people would've said: you just unnecessarily worsened the launch, you should've waited with this event until after the initial ToB rush. But of course we couldn't very well have waited a year to do this, then it would've lost its marketing value. Even waiting until after the xmas period would have severely lessened the effectiveness of doing this at all.

You may call this very short-sighted. I'd say it's equally short-sighted to grab a pitchfork and protest at literally the one time we do something that isn't aimed at active veterans. The server needs new players (or returning old ones) to stay alive. Every once in a while it's worth giving people a major incentive to try us out (again), even if that means doing something which seems unnecessary to active players.

It's certainly not our intention to ruin new content, but please try to be considerate. ToB is one of the few big things we can capitalize on to draw in new players. Not doing it would've been a missed opportunity.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Jousi
Premium Donator

Post by Jousi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Rapsey wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:19 pm
Jousi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:41 pm I agree. The whole 'guaranteed item' bullshit does not make the content more attractive for more players. It simply means the majority completes (read: gets carried) through the mandatory amount of rounds to get their rare item and never bothers with Theatre of Blood ever again. Meanwhile, the players who actually like engaging the new content get a proverbial slap in the face because they've actually spent time completing several rounds of Theatre of Blood without having the rare item guarantee.

This was a one-time thing, primarily targeted at getting retired players to log back on for an hour or two and hopefully get the taste for playing PkHonor again. It went hand in hand with the marketing e-mail we sent out a few days ago but of course you can't do something like this for retired players and not for the currently active ones.

I think it's rather exaggerated to act like ToB is ruined/completed after getting just one of several rare ToB rewards. Sure, there's gonna be people who claim their guaranteed rare and then never play it again. If there was no event those players would probably have never even tried ToB, and having played a few rounds should make them more likely to play it again in the future, since it's no longer unfamiliar territory for them now.

I can understand that it's a little annoying to grind out the ToB rewards and then have this event pop up 2 weeks later. On the other hand, we waited 2 weeks before doing this event precisely because we wanted to give dedicated players the chance to grind them out and get them ahead of people relying on the event. I'm sure if we had done this event on launch day people would've said: you just unnecessarily worsened the launch, you should've waited with this event until after the initial ToB rush. But of course we couldn't very well have waited a year to do this, then it would've lost its marketing value. Even waiting until after the xmas period would have severely lessened the effectiveness of doing this at all.

You may call this very short-sighted. I'd say it's equally short-sighted to grab a pitchfork and protest at literally the one time we do something that isn't aimed at active veterans. The server needs new players (or returning old ones) to stay alive. Every once in a while it's worth giving people a major incentive to try us out (again), even if that means doing something which seems unnecessary to active players.

It's certainly not our intention to ruin new content, but please try to be considerate. ToB is one of the few big things we can capitalize on to draw in new players. Not doing it would've been a missed opportunity.
If this is in line with your marketing strategy, then I do apologize if I gave the impression that you went ahead with something you didn't think through.

My frustration is more with the fact that you have a small group of players willing to immerse themselves in the new content while the overwhelming majority of players don't have to bother yet are rewarded to an unfair extent (not to the exaggerated extent I claimed; I acknowledge that and apologize for it, too). Of course that cannot be blamed on you and has more to do with individual tastes: it's difficult to get players to do and actually enjoy team-based content when much of the server's PvM content is soloable, unless you're a hardcore level player.

All in all, I jumped the gun. I'm sorry.

P.S. Thanks to Iron Adam for the gravestone. Make sure you bring nice flowers, everyone.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Tb to cerberus :D

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Lieven wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:30 pm Tb to cerberus :D
Great times..

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Update: the Alchemical Hydra now has all special attacks and its mechanics should therefore be finished. Come check it out on our test server!

Jousi
Premium Donator

Post by Jousi » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:58 pm

In the screenshot it seems that Alchemical Hydra knows the song by Katy Perry.