Catacombs, ToB & Pking - Developers Blog - June 20th 2019

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Ayeno1
Premium Donator

Re: Catacombs, ToB & Pking - Developers Blog - June 20th 201

Post by Ayeno1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 pm

i liked that pvp idea of changing levels.

Jon
Honor Player

Post by Jon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:10 am

Mike, Rapsey, Thoby and the devs, Thank you! This developer blog has been without a doubt the most entertaining and exciting one I've read in recent years. It's awesome to see you guys are working together and getting new content and QoL to PkHonor. Really excited to see what kind of work you all put into this stuff in the coming months/year.

Keep doing what you're doing.

With love on this one,

-Jon

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:41 am

James wrote:
However, it’s decided that levels can only be lowered. You cannot surpass your current actual level in a specific skill. This is to secure game integrity.
I really don't understand why you opted to do this. You can already get 99 in three combat skills, making people train for the other four doesn't benefit anyone at all. The games integrity isn't in any risk whatsoever by letting people have access to max combat (95/99 prayer).
There was also the consideration of exp when stats are set. We did not want to allow players to set a skill up and because they had the higher amount, gain more experience than they should otherwise be able to receive at their level.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:18 am

Skiller wrote:
James wrote:
However, it’s decided that levels can only be lowered. You cannot surpass your current actual level in a specific skill. This is to secure game integrity.
I really don't understand why you opted to do this. You can already get 99 in three combat skills, making people train for the other four doesn't benefit anyone at all. The games integrity isn't in any risk whatsoever by letting people have access to max combat (95/99 prayer).
There was also the consideration of exp when stats are set. We did not want to allow players to set a skill up and because they had the higher amount, gain more experience than they should otherwise be able to receive at their level.
Its just combat skills tho. Something that should be accessible right from the start.

Prayer just has a flat xp rate but I do get that it would mess up prices of dbones etc if you could set it higher. But combat skills? I mean, cmon. It'd only work in PVP.

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:43 am

:afro: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Kenneth
Honor Player

Post by Kenneth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:12 am

Kylo ren
Honor Player

Post by Kylo ren » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:29 am

Great Developer Blog for your first one. Updates seem very interesting, and you do a great job in providing future content to hype people up.

Can I suggest the possibility of doing Roadmaps in the future?

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:46 am

Adamthalion wrote:If it is easier, I would be fine with 5-10 set layouts. Similar to how Zulrah has 4 set rotations. Still enough variety where it wouldn't get bland.
It's not really about that. It's more about the chunk generation, basically the same as construction has it. The 'random' aspect isn't the hard part ;)
Adamthalion wrote:PvP store looks very clean. I really like the shop interfaces that utilize tabs. I think you should look to combine some more and get rid of a few of the redundant NPCs.
I agree. Could get rid of a lot of the shop-npcs if we would combine stores.
Ayoisno1 wrote:i liked that pvp idea of changing levels.
Happy to hear so! Hopefully this will be implemented.
5 iron wrote:Mike, Rapsey, Thoby and the devs, Thank you! This developer blog has been without a doubt the most entertaining and exciting one I've read in recent years. It's awesome to see you guys are working together and getting new content and QoL to PkHonor. Really excited to see what kind of work you all put into this stuff in the coming months/year.

Keep doing what you're doing.
Thank you very much Jon! Highly appreciated.
Lieven wrote:Its just combat skills tho. Something that should be accessible right from the start.

Prayer just has a flat xp rate but I do get that it would mess up prices of dbones etc if you could set it higher. But combat skills? I mean, cmon. It'd only work in PVP.
Like I said, I think this should just be done by providing experience lamps that grand more experience in all combat skills (to essentially achieve max level anyway).
Alongside believing this decision is best for game integrity, it also protects against a bunch of technical problems that can be caused by forcefully upping a level.

At the end of the day I think we all want the same thing: being able to freely set levels to use a desired accountbuild more easily.
Ours just takes a one-time extra step that takes into account some more technical factors.
Kylo ren wrote:Great Developer Blog for your first one. Updates seem very interesting, and you do a great job in providing future content to hype people up.
Thank you very much for your feedback!
Kylo ren wrote:Can I suggest the possibility of doing Roadmaps in the future?
You sure can! How would you envision it though? We cannot really say anything about estimated times of completion, so it would only provide information on historical content.
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Ross
Premium Donator

Post by Ross » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:48 pm

Regarding Tob, CoX

This content looks great but there needs to be some changes made to the current state of PvM on PkHonor otherwise this content is going to fall flat on its face. If the content is balanced around the current end game meta then newer players who are coming into the game aren't going to be interested as the time investment will be far too great, if we balance the content around mid-game then the content is going to get destroyed by high end PvM meta and the economy will be saturated with the uniques from both pieces of content.

As a community of players making suggestions and developers we're definitely guilty of wanting more and more and implementing crazy levels of power creep with the likes of Curses, Custom Whips, Custom Comps, Nex Armours, Morphs etc.. I'm not sure as a game and business how you're going to deal with this situation, personally I'd just remove the content and focus on balancing PvM but obviously I don't own the business so I can see how that may have conflict of interest. But if you're serious about improving the quality of the game and moving it into a direction that the current osrs/rsps desires then some serious and bold changes are going to have to be made.

Regarding PvP content

I'd like to preface this with a suggestion on changing how the current PkP system works. The current PkP Points and Shop should be renamed to Honor Points and Honor Shop, nothing else will change with this content. A new Player Killing Points (PkP) system should be implemented which are gained solely from killing players along with a PkP Shop which contains "untradeables", unique content and high end PvM supplies. Some examples:

Fire Cape
Fighter Torso
Rune/Dragon Defender
Fighter Hat
Barrows Gloves
Void
Trimming Kits (whips, defenders, scims, godswords etc..)
Bounty Hunter Hats (These can be obtained incrementally much like beginner, apprentice and master wands)
Super Combats
Rocktails
Karambwans
Anti-Venom
Rune Pouch

What has been presented looks promising besides the barrows gloves, they should be removed but so long as the shops prices are reasonable and allow a person to buy 2-3 sets of gear without interference. The cost of items in the PkP store and how many PkP's are obtained from a kill needs to be balanced well, I believe something along the lines of 20 PkP's per kill and a pricing of 100-200 PkP's depending on the item is reasonable.

Regarding the "untradeables" in this store mainly the Fighter Torso, Rune/Dragon Defender, Fire Cape and Barrows Gloves need to be dropped on death for the winner of the fight, these items should also be sellable to the PkP store so you have an option to utilise them for yourself or invest them into your PkP's to buy more expensive stuff, what this does is creates a small player killing economy which motivates newer players to obtain new pieces of equipment to become stronger within a reasonable amount of time but also motivates people to risk more to obtain more, essentially creating a self feeding cycle where both the small fish and big fish have something to gain.
The importance and reasoning for all this is new player retention which is done by rewarding the small fish frequently; the pricing of the equipment in the PkP store needs to be balanced as not to over saturate the players but give them enough value that losing them is significant but are re-obtainable within a reasonable amount of time.

I appreciate this means changing a core aspect of the game but quite honestly, trading rights and having these items so expensive and unobtainable from the beginning is terrible which if completely overhauled barely even scratches the surface of the current game, the heavily PvM structured economy and gameplay will still be fully capable of striving the only difference is with taking what I've suggested I'm fair confident you could have a healthy Pking community in the game.

P.S. What I've suggested isn't a flawless product, it's an example of what I'd like to see and what I believe would be successful.

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:02 pm

This is a step in the right direction for the server. Amazing work!
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.