Abyssal Sire & major PvM combat changes

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

Abyssal Sire & major PvM combat changes

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:36 pm

I've pretty much finished my work on the Abyssal Sire and released it on the test server, a client for which you can download here.

With the introduction of a new boss also come two new weapons - the abyssal bludgeon and the abyssal dagger. And a pet, of course.

However, the next update on PkHonor will not just add the Abyssal Sire and two new items. We are also working on a major overhaul of our PvM combat system.

With the help of Rapsey as well as Adam, we have now managed to compile a long list of actual NPC stats from OSRS, which I have applied to most of our bosses (along with all our dragons and GWD minions). Therefore, the PvM combat in PkHonor should now be a very close resemblance to that in OSRS, considering all bosses now have their own strengths and weaknesses (to stab, slash, crush, magic or ranged) as well as new offensive stats towards players.

It is a major change for PvM and it should make a whole lot of weapons, equipment and combat types far more useful than they used to be, since many weapons will now be more situational and new strategies will be needed to defeat certain bosses. Players will be encouraged to use appropriate gear in order to make use of the weaknesses of bosses.
After a bit of initial testing, it seems that most bosses now have higher defensive stats than before (so they take longer to kill, even with appropriate gear), but at the same time hit less often on players with high end gear and a high defence (and/or magic) level. Whether we really want them to be this way, I'm not entirely sure yet, but community feedback will certainly be useful in that regard.

I would like to ask our community (and staff) to hop on to the test server and give the Abyssal Sire a go. The fastest way to get there is to type ::event, since I have enabled an abyssal Sire event on the test server, but you can also teleport to the Abyss and then go through the passage at the south end.
It would also be very helpful if players could test the new combat stats of monsters - that is, pretty much every single boss, including all dragons. Several NPC's, such as slayer monsters, have not yet received any new stats as we wanted to start off with the bosses and dragons first.

Please let me know if you find anything wrong with the abyssal Sire and what you think of the new PvM combat in general.

Thank you!

A list of all affected NPC's:
Spoiler: show
  • Abyssal Sire
  • Barrelchest
  • Callisto
  • Cerberus
  • Chaos Elemental
  • Chaos Fanatic
  • Corporeal Beast
  • Crazy Archaeologist
  • Dagannoth Kings
  • Demonic Gorilla
  • Giant Mole
  • Kalphite Queen
  • King Black Dragon
  • Kraken
  • Scorpia
  • Thermonuclear Smoke Devil
  • Venenatis
  • Vet'ion
  • Zulrah
  • God Wars Dungeon (4 bosses + 12 minions, not including Nex and its minions)
  • Green/Blue/Red/Black Dragons
  • Bronze/Iron/Steel/Mithril Dragons
  • Lava Dragons
  • Frost Dragons

Poar
Known Venturer

Re: Abyssal Sire & major PvM combat changes

Post by Poar » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Nice, look at my bug report about frosts too please

Rizz0
Premium Donator

Post by Rizz0 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Poar wrote:Nice, look at my bug report about frosts too please
+1

Nice work, looking forward to combat changes and new pk weps.

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:55 pm

I have been waiting years for this, glad to see it is being implemented.
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Some observations :
  • The animations for bludgeon are off :
    • the regular attack animation=the smash animation for godsword
    • the special attack animation=sol\sotd special animation
  • The pools attack too fast, they also spawn too fast when you try to run from one, forcing you to run half the map to avoid one. I'll link you some vids from B0aty doing Sire in pms.
  • NO MORE PURE ESSENCE ON THE DROP TABLE. JUST NO.
  • The pet is a drop from unsired when you use it on the fountain, not when you kill the boss. The only unique Sire can drop is the unsired.
  • The rate for unsired should be 1\100, and should not be affected by fortune, row, pets, events, etc.
  • The pathing sucks around Sire. It pulls you in too much and when it's in the last phase it pulls you to the sides, making you get hit by the tentacles. ( I can't really vid this unfortunately )
  • You shouldn't be able to get multiple pieces of the same kind for the bludgeon :
    • "Players have a 62/128 chance of receiving one via using an unsired on the Font of Consumption behind the Overseer. If a player already has a bludgeon piece, they will not receive duplicate pieces. For example, if a player has obtained a bludgeon axon and their unsired rolls for a bludgeon piece, they are guaranteed to get either a bludgeon claw or spine." (taken from the OSRS wiki)
  • The bludgeon is 2 hand item, not an 1 hand item
  • Sire should only teleport you once, after he plants himself in the ground and you've dealt enough damage for it go to into the last phase. He doesn't teleport you before that.
  • After Sire teleports you to start the last phase, he will only spawn 3 pools (sometimes 4, but idk how that happens to be honest, so just keep it at 3)
*if I find anything else, I'll edit this*

I know some are obvious and I know you already had a plan to fix them, so sorry for being a little turd again.

Rgh
Honor Player

Post by Rgh » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Support all these changes, I've found myself extremely bored as the mechanics of these bosses are quite literally a click-die-respawn-repeat process which can get extremely repetitive and boring. Would be nice having these changes as the boss would have a chance of killing you if you make the wrong switches/prayers. (For example, on os I've thought that I mastered Vorkaths mechanics until I make a wrong move, may it be a misclick or even glancing away can be the end of you)

Not sure how this update would go with people that aren't very good at bossing, tick eating, using correct prayers, knowing what items are BIS. But I'm all down for this update as it brings life back into the game for me, and probably other people.

A iron girl
Premium Donator

Post by A iron girl » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Awesome. This is going to make pvming much better. Will these monster's defences be posted anywhere?

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Respire1337 wrote:
  • The pet is a drop from unsired when you use it on the fountain, not when you kill the boss. The only unique Sire can drop is the unsired.
  • The rate for unsired should be 1\100, and should not be affected by fortune, row, pets, events, etc.
  • You shouldn't be able to get multiple pieces of the same kind for the bludgeon :
    • "Players have a 62/128 chance of receiving one via using an unsired on the Font of Consumption behind the Overseer. If a player already has a bludgeon piece, they will not receive duplicate pieces. For example, if a player has obtained a bludgeon axon and their unsired rolls for a bludgeon piece, they are guaranteed to get either a bludgeon claw or spine." (taken from the OSRS wiki)
  • The bludgeon is 2 hand item, not an 1 hand item
  • Sire should only teleport you once, after he plants himself in the ground and you've dealt enough damage for it go to into the last phase. He doesn't teleport you before that.
I didn't know that you're guaranteed to get one of the pieces of the bludgeon you don't have yet, good catch. I also forgot to make it a two-handed weapon.
As for the abyssal orphan, I first made it the same as on OSRS, but that didn't work out very well. Especially since the rate would be so extremely low that it doesn't compare to other bosses at all. The Unsired is currently set to drop once every 200 kills on average (and yes, RoW/fortune whip does affect it), which I did on purpose. Not everything needs to be exactly like OSRS, every now and then we take a liberty if we believe it's better for the server. However, other than the abyssal orphan and unsired, we do plan to make everything exactly the same (mechanics-wise).

I also read on the wiki that if the Abyssal Sire cannot attack you during its melee phase (for example if you stand too far away from it), it will forcibly teleport you closer to it, after which it will hit you with an unavoidable melee attack. I hadn't seen any videos of players being teleported (except for the last phase, when it's about to explode), since everyone uses melee themselves during that phase, but as far as I can tell the teleport mechanics work pretty much the way they're meant to.

A iron girl wrote:Awesome. This is going to make pvming much better. Will these monster's defences be posted anywhere?
No, but you can look them up on the OSRS wiki. They're the exact same stats ;)

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:57 pm

Mike wrote: I also read on the wiki that if the Abyssal Sire cannot attack you during its melee phase (for example if you stand too far away from it), it will forcibly teleport you closer to it, after which it will hit you with an unavoidable melee attack. I hadn't seen any videos of players being teleported (except for the last phase, when it's about to explode), since everyone uses melee themselves during that phase, but as far as I can tell the teleport mechanics work pretty much the way they're meant to.
Thing that brings in attention the pathing around Sire. Someone told me that each time you go in front of it while you are in the melee phase, he will teleport you. It’s just happens way too frequent for no reason. Maybe after a few more tests, we can make it work right.

As far as I am concerned with the pet, I’m fine with it. That would only mean that the items from the unsired are gonna be more common? ( because of only 4 rolls : whip, dagger, abyssal head, bludgeon piece instead of 5). This could balance off the 1/200 rate, as somehow it seems quite high. The boss has some interesting mechanics and it takes a while to kill it, meaning that you’d get 1 bludgeon at around 1200 kc or so? ( 6 unsireds, all uniques with no duplicates).

Whiprealgood
Premium Donator

Post by Whiprealgood » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 am

Very Excited to start working on the guide!
Check out my Youtube channel!