New dev system - very soon!

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Rapsey
Sysadmin

Re: New dev system - very soon!

Post by Rapsey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Skullsnipe wrote:Kind of curious of this as well. There's a whole lot of power to being a developer or super. Would you be willing to hand over that power to someone who has simply coded for the game for a few months?
I'm pretty sure it will take longer than a few months lol. We're also not just going to give a bunch of destructive abilities to people who don't need them. We see it as our responsibility to minimize risk to the server, which includes trial devs going rogue or doing harm by accident. Trust isn't the (only) issue here. You trust your friends but you probably don't give them a key to your house because they just don't need that level of access.
Fat goat wrote:
K1 wrote:theres no need to give them an ingame rank though
They do more harm in the server than ingame if they want too
Developers who can autonomously release updates would obviously be able to break the game or add a dupe if they wanted to. We'll do our absolute best to make sure we don't put our faith in the wrong people but even if it does happen, the damage would be limited. Worst case scenario we can still roll back to one of our hourly backups and developers obviously won't have the ability to delete those since there's just no reason for them to be able to.

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Where do I apply :D
#Justice4Church

Andres
Developer

Post by Andres » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:47 pm

The underdog wrote:Where do I apply :D
Rapsey wrote:
The builder wrote:So when the system goes into place, how soon after do you expect the applications be open?
No idea tbh. My guess is we'll start with Vcom and work out the kinks. Once we've established a good workflow we can look to expand further. Although there may never be any formal application process. It would probably just be get in touch with us and we'll see what's what.

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:48 am

Rapsey wrote:
Andres wrote:
Adamthalion wrote:Any suggestions on where to start learning java? (For anyone who may be interested in this, but doesn't necessarily have the core understanding that you are looking for.) Are there a lot of good free learning tools out there?

I think there are a lot of young, interested minds in the community. Many may not know where to begin though.
To be honest, I have never really liked to study a programming language online. I will always recommend buying a book where you could learn from, since it came to my attention that books describe everything better and you'll remember it faster and even better :P
So my opinion is buy a book and learn from there on
Agreed. Interactive online courses are a bit of an instant gratification thing. They aim to get you writing code as soon as possible, often to the point of saying "this is what you need to write to make it work". This makes them great learning tools for people who already know how to program, since all they have to learn is the specific syntax of whatever new language they're trying to learn.

For a novice I think it's way more important to create a solid foundation by gaining a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of programming. I'm not saying you can't learn this from online tutorials, you can, but it's gonna take a truckload of dedication and self-discipline. You won't gain much insight if you just try to get the site to give you green ticks on your exercises regardless of whether you understand your own solution. Sadly that's what most of these sites implicitly encourage you to do.

So yeah, if you're serious about getting good at this then buy a book, or better yet find a class. :)
http://iiti.ac.in/people/~tanimad/JavaT ... erence.pdf

Jussayin :roll: :P

Also just google Java Programming Book PDF and you'll find hella stuff

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Skullsnipe wrote:
Fat goat wrote: Would you ever give a person developer status if he's not known for you in real life?
Kind of curious of this as well. There's a whole lot of power to being a developer or super. Would you be willing to hand over that power to someone who has simply coded for the game for a few months?
The developer rank is not a part of the staff hierarchy, therefore new developers will not receive any in-game powers.
To clarify:
- Rapsey and me are both co-owners (and ultimate users) and developers
- Donderstone2 is an advisor (and super user) and developer
- Vcom is a player and trial developer
- New developers will also be both a player and trial developer

On testservers, developers hold all the power they need for their work, but on the production server, they do not. New developers won't receive any kind of rank or crown on the live server until they have completed their trial and have been promoted to actual Developer, which will take several months - maybe even longer. However, even those who possess a developer crown will not have any powers on the production server, unless they are also a staff member in some way.

Apart from Rapsey and myself, Donderstone2 is the only developer who also has actual in-game (and forum) powers, simply because of his very long history as admin on PkHonor - he was already admin before I even joined PkHonor - and the fact that we fully trust him. That's also the reason he's currently the only developer who has access to the complete source code.
However, even Donderstone2 is not able to directly update the live PkHonor server. He can work on any part of the code - including everything new devs can't even see - and deploy updates on the testserver, but Rapsey and myself are the only two people who can approve an update and deploy it on the production server.

It's not that we don't trust Donderstone2 to directly release updates on the production server, but this way of doing things ensures that every single update is reviewed by myself, which is an important step in any development process. It's always best for code to be peer reviewed before being released.

With new trial developer(s), I won't be working on new content as much as I used to. My main focus will be on educating and mentoring other developers, while reviewing, refactoring and testing every line of their code before release.
Other than that, my main task will be the fixing of bugs - some that have been there forever, some that were only recently introduced - and working out tasks that require certain in-depth knowledge of RSPS (or PkHonor specific) code. For example, I've just made and added the sprites necessary to introduce the venom hitsplats (and health orb), which will be necessary when we add Zulrah in the near future. It's one of those things most RSPS developers do not know how to do and would take a long time to learn properly. Adding a new interface for the looting bag and rune pouches is another such example (which I'm also working on at the moment), but there will definitely be many more such things I'll have to aid developers with. I won't be retiring from PkHonor anytime soon and my knowledge and expertise of the source code will forever remain a necessary part of ensuring a high quality server :P

Kylo ren
Honor Player

Post by Kylo ren » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Does this mean that New Trial Developers will not be able to see chats, such as Mod/Admin Yell?