New dev system - very soon!

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Skiller
Developer

Re: New dev system - very soon!

Post by Skiller » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 pm

How much time are trial devs going to be expected to give?

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:51 pm

The builder wrote:How much time are trial devs going to be expected to give?
I'm not sure if there will be any kind of activity requirement. I actually think that would be counterproductive. Let's say you have two developers both delivering work of equal quality, but one churns out two updates a week while the other only does one a month. What's there to gain by sacking the second developer? Both of them combined still produce more content than one would.

I should point out that unlike the name suggests, the "trial" phase here isn't really about proving yourself. Sure, if we notice that a trial developer has no insight in programming then we'll put a stop to it. That should be rare though as the trial developer rank will only be given to promising candidates who have already demonstrated an ability to write code. The "trial" itself will be more of a learning phase before graduating to fully fledged developer, at which point they would be able to work autonomously. Becoming sufficiently familiar with the game code will take a while though, and it's definitely not something we want to rush. I think it's best if everyone learns at their own speed.

The only kind of activity requirement I can think of would be demotion due to prolonged inactivity. That's probably going to be judged case-by-case though. Someone who goes on hiatus after 2 weeks may be demoted after a month or two. Another developer who has already been working for 6 months would get to retain their rank through inactivity a lot longer.
Andres wrote:
Adamthalion wrote:Any suggestions on where to start learning java? (For anyone who may be interested in this, but doesn't necessarily have the core understanding that you are looking for.) Are there a lot of good free learning tools out there?

I think there are a lot of young, interested minds in the community. Many may not know where to begin though.
To be honest, I have never really liked to study a programming language online. I will always recommend buying a book where you could learn from, since it came to my attention that books describe everything better and you'll remember it faster and even better :P
So my opinion is buy a book and learn from there on
Agreed. Interactive online courses are a bit of an instant gratification thing. They aim to get you writing code as soon as possible, often to the point of saying "this is what you need to write to make it work". This makes them great learning tools for people who already know how to program, since all they have to learn is the specific syntax of whatever new language they're trying to learn.

For a novice I think it's way more important to create a solid foundation by gaining a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of programming. I'm not saying you can't learn this from online tutorials, you can, but it's gonna take a truckload of dedication and self-discipline. You won't gain much insight if you just try to get the site to give you green ticks on your exercises regardless of whether you understand your own solution. Sadly that's what most of these sites implicitly encourage you to do.

So yeah, if you're serious about getting good at this then buy a book, or better yet find a class. :)

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Makes sense @Rapsey. and totally agree on classes. Much more helpful because you also have someone to bounce ideas off of.

So when the system goes into place, how soon after do you expect the applications be open?

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 pm

The builder wrote:So when the system goes into place, how soon after do you expect the applications be open?
No idea tbh. My guess is we'll start with Vcom and work out the kinks. Once we've established a good workflow we can look to expand further. Although there may never be any formal application process. It would probably just be get in touch with us and we'll see what's what.

Not motti
Forum Addict

Post by Not motti » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:53 am

What if, for example, like 5 good trial developers get their shot and all of them will do great. Would you take these 5 as a serious developer? Or would you keep the developing team around 3 persons (Mike, Dylan and maybe Vcom) or would you get an even bigger team.

And most likely other trial developers won't be from the same place as the developing team is now, and Vcom kinda. Would you ever give a person developer status if he's not known for you in real life?

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:07 am

Fat goat wrote:What if, for example, like 5 good trial developers get their shot and all of them will do great. Would you take these 5 as a serious developer? Or would you keep the developing team around 3 persons (Mike, Dylan and maybe Vcom) or would you get an even bigger team.

And most likely other trial developers won't be from the same place as the developing team is now, and Vcom kinda. Would you ever give a person developer status if he's not known for you in real life?
I think we would do our best to take on all five. If it's possible then it seems to me that would be the choice that is the most beneficial to the server.

We don't care at all about location. Different time zones can be worked around, as with the staff team.

Not motti
Forum Addict

Post by Not motti » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:33 am

Rapsey wrote:
Fat goat wrote:What if, for example, like 5 good trial developers get their shot and all of them will do great. Would you take these 5 as a serious developer? Or would you keep the developing team around 3 persons (Mike, Dylan and maybe Vcom) or would you get an even bigger team.

I think we would do our best to take on all five. If it's possible then it seems to me that would be the choice that is the most beneficial to the server.

We don't care at all about location. Different time zones can be worked around, as with the staff team.
Yea but if they fuck up something real bad it's not like you can go to them irl to fight things out if you know what I mean.

I gain more trust in someone I know irl than over the internet, especially if it comes to giving out a part of your life. If you understand me.

Skullsnipe
Premium Donator

Post by Skullsnipe » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:06 am

Fat goat wrote: Would you ever give a person developer status if he's not known for you in real life?
Kind of curious of this as well. There's a whole lot of power to being a developer or super. Would you be willing to hand over that power to someone who has simply coded for the game for a few months?

Rwter
Honor Player

Post by Rwter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:02 pm

theres no need to give them an ingame rank though

Not motti
Forum Addict

Post by Not motti » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:18 pm

K1 wrote:theres no need to give them an ingame rank though
They do more harm in the server than ingame if they want too