New dev system - very soon!

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Rapsey
Sysadmin

Re: New dev system - very soon!

Post by Rapsey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 am

Swing set wrote:Would you or Rapsey take a mentor position? (As in someone who knows the basics, but doesn't delve to deep, who is looking to broaden their knowledge of the game side of Java, or data systems?) Not really asking to babysit either, but just helpful advice\OJT in the correct direction.
I'm not sure I understand the question...

Kylo ren
Honor Player

Post by Kylo ren » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:35 am

Rapsey wrote:
Swing set wrote:Would you or Rapsey take a mentor position? (As in someone who knows the basics, but doesn't delve to deep, who is looking to broaden their knowledge of the game side of Java, or data systems?) Not really asking to babysit either, but just helpful advice\OJT in the correct direction.
I'm not sure I understand the question...
In other words, would either of you help teach the new developers the basics about programming on PkHonor. Which, if they're actually decent programmers, the new programmers should already know the basics and more.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:58 am

Will the new trial devs get access to things like the gqc and PvP committees?

Ross
Premium Donator

Post by Ross » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Azu rite wrote:Will the new trial devs get access to things like the gqc and PvP committees?
^ Do this, let them work to their own discretion and create a backlog of potential content, shit would be balla.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Kylo ren wrote:In other words, would either of you help teach the new developers the basics about programming on PkHonor. Which, if they're actually decent programmers, the new programmers should already know the basics and more.
We'll assist them in learning the specifics of the project, yes, and I'm sure we'll share some of our expertise along the way. They already need to have mastered the basics of programming though. We're not going to be teaching that as it would simply take too much time and more often than not the effort would go to waste. Better to start with people who have already demonstrated an aptitude for programming and the willingness to learn it.
Azu rite wrote:Will the new trial devs get access to things like the gqc and PvP committees?
Yes.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Rapsey wrote: We'll assist them in learning the specifics of the project, yes, and I'm sure we'll share some of our expertise along the way. They already need to have mastered the basics of programming though. We're not going to be teaching that as it would simply take too much time and more often than not the effort would go to waste. Better to start with people who have already demonstrated an aptitude for programming and the willingness to learn it.
Any suggestions on where to start learning java? (For anyone who may be interested in this, but doesn't necessarily have the core understanding that you are looking for.) Are there a lot of good free learning tools out there?

I think there are a lot of young, interested minds in the community. Many may not know where to begin though.

Tezey
Honor Player

Post by Tezey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Adamthalion wrote:
Rapsey wrote: We'll assist them in learning the specifics of the project, yes, and I'm sure we'll share some of our expertise along the way. They already need to have mastered the basics of programming though. We're not going to be teaching that as it would simply take too much time and more often than not the effort would go to waste. Better to start with people who have already demonstrated an aptitude for programming and the willingness to learn it.
Any suggestions on where to start learning java? (For anyone who may be interested in this, but doesn't necessarily have the core understanding that you are looking for.) Are there a lot of good free learning tools out there?

I think there are a lot of young, interested minds in the community. Many may not know where to begin though.
Codecademy has a course in java. I haven't tried it personally because I have no use for java as of now. But from other courses they have I've had very good experience with. Their support is wonderfull. Something all youngsters should look into. (Yes I know I'm a youngster.)

Andres
Developer

Post by Andres » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Rapsey wrote:
Kylo ren wrote:In other words, would either of you help teach the new developers the basics about programming on PkHonor. Which, if they're actually decent programmers, the new programmers should already know the basics and more.
We'll assist them in learning the specifics of the project, yes, and I'm sure we'll share some of our expertise along the way. They already need to have mastered the basics of programming though. We're not going to be teaching that as it would simply take too much time and more often than not the effort would go to waste. Better to start with people who have already demonstrated an aptitude for programming and the willingness to learn it.
Whats an Object again? I completely forgot... It's not that important in an OO language right?
Just kidding hehe :P

Looking forward to bring some awesome content for PkHonor (and exited to develop in the first place since most of the stuff I currently make are just for own education) you feel 'better' if you make stuff for others instead of making it for your own imo.

Adamthalion wrote:

To be honest, I have never really liked to study a programming language online. I will always recommend buying a book where you could learn from, since it came to my attention that books describe everything better and you'll remember it faster and even better :P
So my opinion is buy a book and learn from there on

Ali
Honor Player

Post by Ali » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:27 pm

Omg please let me try to make pkhbuddy v2

Amount
Premium Donator

Post by Amount » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Nice.