Client source upgrade

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

Client source upgrade

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 pm

So, Donderstone2 recently found a (pretty recent) OSRS client with all OSRS cache, items, maps and NPC's. This includes (but is not limited to): Zulrah (with animations and the map), Cerberus (+ cave), Callisto, Scorpia, Venenatis, Vet'ion, as well as Zeah, Saradomin's Blessed sword, the different wands, toxic blowpipe etc. etc.. The client has the capability to be either fullscreen, resizeable or have a fixed window size. Also: Pest Control with 3 boats, which we can use for different game modes (will come in handy with the upcoming release of elite void).

This means we'll be using this new client instead of the one we've been using in the past years. It is based off the exact same client that our client is based off, so it's possible for us to merge the two. Our server with every single feature remains the same, character files will remain etc., but we'll need to convert several thousands of item ID's, NPC id's and object ID's (OSRS uses different ID's than ours, especially where NPC's and custom items are concerned). We'll also need to take every single feature from our client and integrate it into the new one (ancient prayer interface, ancient magicks with miasmic spells, bank tabs and a whole lot more).

I don't have an estimate on how long all of this is going to take, but it is a huge change. Integrating all PkHonor client features into the new client might take a few weeks, converting all item, NPC and object ID's serversided will take even longer. We'll also need to do a whole lot of bugtesting before we can release it.

However, once done, we'll have an enormous load of OSRS content (and maps!) that our players have been asking for a while now. Not to mention the added benefit of finally having fullscreen and resizeable options. All that added together makes it worth the effort and will certainly attract a lot of new players to our server.

So consider this our next big project that we'll be working on in the next few months. However, we'll make sure to keep releasing smaller updates at least once a week.

Chameaux123
Novice

Re: Client source upgrade

Post by Chameaux123 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Damn dylan is still around.Nice job to him and you!

Pure sephy
Premium Donator

Post by Pure sephy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:32 pm

You should cache-pack all of your data this time. Make everything nice and clean.

Also, does this new client have newer (~400) maps and object data?
Last edited by Pure sephy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My awful signature. Really feeling that CoolText font.

Ruler
Honor Player

Post by Ruler » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:32 pm

FUCKING HYPE
and indeed good to hear something about Dylan again

Jon
Honor Player

Post by Jon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:32 pm

This is excellent Mike. I must say I'm super excited. Keep up the hard work :thumbsup:

Subnet
Premium Donator

Post by Subnet » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Would be nice to get this out in a few weeks.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:36 pm

Pure sephy wrote:You should cache-pack all of your data this time. Make everything nice and clean.

All data is already packed in the cache in this client. However, I don't know how to properly pack new models & images into a cache so I'll have to look that up. But yes, it would make it much cleaner and easier to handle for our players instead of several thousand files. I just don't really know how to, I'm a server-sided developer, the client has always been a bit of a mystery to me :P especially the cache

Pure sephy
Premium Donator

Post by Pure sephy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:44 pm

Mike wrote:
Pure sephy wrote:You should cache-pack all of your data this time. Make everything nice and clean.

All data is already packed in the cache in this client. However, I don't know how to properly pack new models & images into a cache so I'll have to look that up. But yes, it would make it much cleaner and easier to handle for our players instead of several thousand files. I just don't really know how to, I'm a server-sided developer, the client has always been a bit of a mystery to me :P especially the cache
Yeah, I know what you mean. I hate working with clients. Server-sided development is just so much easier.

That being said, I'm sure you'll manage. You are the Java God, after all.

Also, mind linking said client? I'm curious as to its features.
My awful signature. Really feeling that CoolText font.

Hayden
Elite

Post by Hayden » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:10 pm

Will the look of things change? Like, will everything look exactly like OSRS? Including like the inventory box thing

edit: nvm the pictures werent there when i posted
Last edited by Hayden on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jelle
Honor Player

Post by Jelle » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:23 pm

hell yeah