Let's talk a bit about pets

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Amount
Premium Donator

Re: Let's talk a bit about pets

Post by Amount » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 am

Mike wrote:Alright, let's scrap pets for now and focus on the other stuff first. We'll bring this back when there's not much else to do for the moment :P
Thanks for listening!
Swaggit wrote: /req lock
Would, but I should probably leave the housekeeping of the Developers Blogs to the devs.

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:07 am

Mike wrote:I'd like to put the topic of pets back on the table - not that it's something I would work on right this moment, but I do want to have the concept worked out as well as possible, so I can get started on it in the near future.
We're not talking about boss pets - we're talking about regular pets.

However, I'm not yet entirely certain of how the process of "taking care of a pet until it's fully grown" would work. I do have a few ideas on which I'd like some feedback:
> They are part of a new set of achievements. Each achievement will involve one pet and will describe how you can obtain it.
> You can always only obtain a baby version of a pet
> Pets are be obtained through different means:
- Some pets are found randomly roaming all over the world
- A few pets are only obtained through hunter
- Several pets involve completing a task (if a task involves combat, there will always be an alternative task for skillers)
- If you manage to collect all pets and make them fully grown, you can obtain a TzRek-Jad pet
> In order to make a pet grow, you need to:
- Feed it. Each pet has a list of food that it can eat (it will reject anything else you offer it). Each pet will also have a 'favorite' food which is often hard to obtain but will speed up the growing process a lot.
- Walk around with it
- Gain XP or PkHonor Points or kill monsters while it's following you (adventuring)

However, I'm not yet sure what the rewards would be of having a fully grown pet follow you around. I'll need some ideas for that. As for the rest, any suggestions for improvements or changes are welcome.
I love the idea of adding them for a new set of achievements, cuz those would give old players and new more content to do and a fun/cute reward. I do think though that the process of raising a pet would seem tedious. Perhaps you could have a "magical wizard" or "pet whisperer" who you could take your pets to and for a price they'd grow (pkp, gp, you name it).

For hunter, I think you could make some cute other pets from skills, like a baby rock golem from mining, a baby sea troll from fishing, etc.

For the ones you hunt around the world, I like it! Would be a fun new task for cc's to do.

As people have said, the gqc quests with the pet rewards would be cool to have added, and jad pet should be from killing jad.

All in all, I love pets, and releasing them as a reward for achievements would be a lot of fun.

Thumbs up from me Mike!

Loony
Premium Donator

Post by Loony » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:26 pm

B0rnt0b3pk wrote:Jad pet should be a reward from killing Jad or a possibility of getting one from sacrificing a firecape, like OSRS.
!!!