Improved following released on testserver

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

Improved following released on testserver

Post by Mike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:53 pm

I've been working on the code responsible for following players (and NPC's) and I have just now released this on the testserver. I know this is one that you guys have been asking for a long time, but it's something that's very tricky to get right, so I want to make sure everything works fine by the time I release it on the production server.

Apart from improved following, I've also reworked the mechanics behind manual spellcasts: as of now, if you attack a player with melee, ranged or autocast and cast a manual spell in between, your movement will not be interrupted. If you just cast a single spell without otherwise attacking them, you will stop moving after your casted the spell.

Please check it out and let me know if anything is broken or needs further improvements!

The new testclients can be found at:
http://client.pkhonor.net/PkHonor_testclient.jar
http://client.pkhonor.net/PkHonor_testclient.zip

FYI, the next things I'll be working on include:
> Calculation of accuracy and max hit should be done when you cast a spell or fire a ranged weapon, not at the time it lands (so switching gear after a spellcast doesn't influence its effect)
> Looking into dclaws spec, hand cannon, korasi sword
> Fixing BSG spec
> Slightly reworking AGS spec to lower its maximum hit (but possibly increase its accuracy a bit), this one is up for debate

Nick
Honor Player

Re: Improved following released on testserver

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:08 pm

The maximum hit for normal ags hits are decent, but for ags spec, it's needs to be lowered with improved accuracy. (sorry you weren't clear enough that's why I had to bring it up)

As for improved following I'll check it out soon...
Bill Gates wrote:“I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.”

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Nick wrote:The maximum hit for normal ags hits are decent, but for ags spec, it's needs to be lowered with improved accuracy. (sorry you weren't clear enough that's why I had to bring it up)

Yeah, I did mean the AGS spec (not the normal hits), apologies

Rwter
Honor Player

Post by Rwter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Nick wrote:The maximum hit for normal ags hits are decent, but for ags spec, it's needs to be lowered with improved accuracy. (sorry you weren't clear enough that's why I had to bring it up)

Ags is fine.

GS' have a 10% base damage increase with the spec and the AGS increases this by a further 25%.

Nick
Honor Player

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Tried it just now.
So far,
1. Pathing is still not fixed, while farcasting or ranging, there are still instances where you move back by 1-2 step which causes your enemy to escape from you since he's out of range.
Mike wrote:If you just cast a single spell without otherwise attacking them, you will stop moving after your casted the spell.
This works atm.
Bill Gates wrote:“I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.”

B0rnt0b3pk
Fanatic

Post by B0rnt0b3pk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:05 pm

-> While autoattacking a target with a barrage and they enter a tree crowded area, the pathing goes wild and you loose more ground than gaining while going towards the enemy.

-> While running at a crowded area with a lot of trees, with melee, you loose some ground tp the target, but can still attack your target 3 squares away.

-> With Magic or Range, If you run around in circles around big obcastles or trees, the opponent can't attack you or you attack them.

-> Magic is way too accurate. It hit Karils like you're wearing no magic resistance....
ImageImage

Rawr
Premium Donator

Post by Rawr » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 pm

Sick ownage wrote:-> While autoattacking a target with a barrage and they enter a tree crowded area, the pathing goes wild and you loose more ground than gaining while going towards the enemy.

-> While running at a crowded area with a lot of trees, with melee, you loose some ground tp the target, but can still attack your target 3 squares away.

-> With Magic or Range, If you run around in circles around big obcastles or trees, the opponent can't attack you or you attack them.

-> Magic is way too accurate. It hit Karils like you're wearing no magic resistance....
For the first two, it's very similar to 07. As in, if someone runs through trees you get stuck. I think the biggest issue with PKH compared to 07 pathing is that if you reclick them on 07 you start following them again properly (until more trees etc) whereas on PKH you continue to lose ground endlessly.

It's great to see some combat fixes coming through. I know they'll go along way to encouraging PKing.

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:14 am

Kishan wrote:

Ags is fine.

GS' have a 10% base damage increase with the spec and the AGS increases this by a further 25%.
I read here before that ags spec is +35% damage now, and it should be 25.

Ags is madness with void, got hit a few times 85+ in a row by a void guy ragging and then I got killed by a 91ags+8gmaul... Rip 12b gear lolz
#Justice4Church
#DemoteRyanHeResigned
#capes2presets2k18

Nolan
Honor Player

Post by Nolan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:34 am

The underdog wrote:I read here before that ags spec is +35% damage now, and it should be 25.
It's actually +30%, always has been on PkHonor. In RuneScape it's +25%.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:53 am

Rawr wrote:
Sick ownage wrote:-> While autoattacking a target with a barrage and they enter a tree crowded area, the pathing goes wild and you loose more ground than gaining while going towards the enemy.

For the first two, it's very similar to 07. As in, if someone runs through trees you get stuck. I think the biggest issue with PKH compared to 07 pathing is that if you reclick them on 07 you start following them again properly (until more trees etc) whereas on PKH you continue to lose ground endlessly.
I consider losing ground while following someone around trees more of a feature than a bug, since people can use it to lose an attacker through a dense forest or something alike. As Rawr said, that's also how I remember it being in '07, so I don't see much wrong with that. Even if that isn't entirely how following is intended to work, it adds more possibilities to the wilderness, so I think most people can get behind how it works now. Not to mention that 'fixing' this would require quite some effort (if I can pull that off at all - the mechanics behind it are quite complex).

However, if I understand it correctly, it appears that you regularly take a step back (sometimes two?) when following someone. I wonder under what circumstances this happens, because I've only encountered it on one occasion so far, which is when you're about 2 - 3 steps away from the person you're following. Can anyone explain (or show) how and when this happens, so I can work something out to prevent this from happening?

As for magic accuracy, perhaps that should be put up to a poll. Keep in mind: your magic level also influences your magic defense, so if the guy with Karil had magic level 1, chances are most spells will still hit him.