Major breakthroughs in combat system

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

Major breakthroughs in combat system

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:35 pm

After recording over 1700 hits in oldschool runescape (with as many combinations of attack and defence levels and bonuses as possible), I have been able to draw the following conclusions:
-> The new combat system (which has been in place on the test server for several months) is very close - if not spot on - to the actual oldschool RS combat system. The difference in accuracy between the new combat system and the tests I did in oldschool RS is always less than 3%. There's a very good chance that the new formula I'm using is the actual one from RS. If I did a lot more tests, I would probably be able to prove this statement (and reduce the difference to less than 1%), but that would take me several more weeks so that doesn't seem worth it. Less than 3% difference on every single test in every possible scenario seems close enough to me.
-> The new combat system is not that much different from the old one that we've been using for a long time. In most realistic scenarios, the difference is less than 5% accuracy, often even less than 2%. It's only in certain cases (for example a 1 defence pure wearing full iron) that the accuracy is off by a larger number, up to 15%.
-> In the new combat system, you'll hit more often against a player with a low defence level and/or bonus than you would in the old one
-> In the new combat system, you'll hit less often against a player with a high defence level and/or bonus than you would in the old one

Note especially the last 2 points. Players have been complaining that folks in low end armour were sometimes able to beat others in high end armour. With the new combat system, that issue should be resolved.

The last thing I need to do before releasing the new system on the real server, is get special attacks in order. A lot of weapons have an accuracy modifier when using a special attack. This accuracy modifier is unknown and I'm not sure how exactly the calculations are done either. So for that I'll have to perform several more tests in oldschool RS using weapons like DDS and AGS (which I do not currently have available, so if anyone can lend me weapons with special attacks for a few days, I'd gladly compensate them).

Also, note that the new combat system has already been in place for magic for several months. The reason I had already done it for magic is because there are no special attacks involved there.
I had always kind of assumed that the new magic accuracy system would be better than the old one, but now I can confirm that it's very, very close (probably exactly the same) as the magic combat system in oldschool RS. At least where accuracy is concerned.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Re: Major breakthroughs in combat system

Post by Azu rite » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Claws in OsRs...Mike you make me laugh :)

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:39 pm

A zoo right wrote:Claws in OsRs...Mike you make me laugh :)
*facepalm*

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:41 pm

Great job Mike!
Sweet to see you progress
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:41 pm

Psst you edited out the ags part

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:42 pm

A zoo right wrote:Psst you edited out the ags part
I somehow assumed AGS weren't a part of osrs.

O well

Jedi entei
Wise One

Post by Jedi entei » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:00 pm

I can lend you my cash on 07.

It's not much at all, but I'd be glad to help. :)
I no longer play PKH. Please, if you'd like to contact me, PM me.

Leviathans
Premium Donator

Post by Leviathans » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:38 pm

A wild entei wrote:I can lend you my cash on 07.

It's not much at all, but I'd be glad to help. :)

Give it to me
Mike wrote: In your dreams fagget.

Ross
Premium Donator

Post by Ross » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Mike, don't change the dds.

It's perfect as it is, plz no hurt it :c

Also, I know you don't do dates but since the update is nearing it's end do you have an estimated time with a generous give and take.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:29 pm

No pity wrote:Mike, don't change the dds.

It's perfect as it is, plz no hurt it :c

Also, I know you don't do dates but since the update is nearing it's end do you have an estimated time with a generous give and take.
The problem is that with the combat remake, the formula for the special attacks will change as well (there's nothing I can do about that). However, if people agree with you that the DDS special is perfect as it is now, then at least I have something to base myself on.

As for a date, I honestly don't know how long the testing will take me. I'd like to release it before July, but as usual, no promises on that part.
On the bright side, the new combat system won't be the only big thing included in the next update. I'd recommend to check the polls forum soon, as new official polls in regards to updates will be added.