Automation, automation & more automation

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Elite reborn
Premium Donator

Re: Automation, automation & more automation

Post by Elite reborn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:17 am

Sweet. Looking forward to the quest and automated system!
suh dude

Skills bank
Known Venturer

Post by Skills bank » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:52 am

This is why we said.
Pets are useless, give us a decanter.

Ain
Unstoppable

Post by Ain » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:56 am

Mike, when can we expect the next update? Or atleast the next tweak?

If I remember correctly you were going to tweak combat? ;D I think a lot of people are REALLY looking forward to it.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:00 am

Jaaytee wrote:This is off-topic, but what exactly does Rapsey do? I literally just don't know lol. I've only seen him post a few times.. (I'm not trying to talk bad or anything about him.)
Well that's a very good question actually. Most people have no idea what a sysadmins' job entails.

A large part of it is being responsible for the infrastructure on which everything runs. Of course there's setting up the servers, which is no small task. Making sure everything is configured securely and optimized for performance can take quite a while, but it's essential to keep everything running smoothly. Once they are set up, it's basically my job to keep them secured against all the bad things that could happen. :P For one thing, servers do require maintenance. All the software on them needs to be kept up to date with the latest security patches, otherwise we are at risk of being hacked. Another common threat nowadays would be DDoS attacks, so I need to ensure that our setup can handle it. Of course the servers themselves can suffer from hardware issues. To cope with this we monitor them at all times so I can respond immediately, often even before something actually goes wrong. Frequent backups make sure we can't lose any data, and redundant failovers are created to handle a server going offline.

One of the things I'm pretty good at is optimizing things for performance and efficiency, so I also work on keeping the internals of the game running smoothly. The database in particular, which can easily slow things down catastrophically if not optimized correctly. I have also been known to design algorithms for the game, and one of my hobbies is helping Mike brainstorm when he's developing something that pushes the boundaries of our systems. I also make sure the web-based components of PkHonor are working well. A good example of this would be caching systems, which result in faster page loading times for everyone using our website and forums. I suppose that means in a way people see my work more than they realize. :D Another thing I work on is internal tools. Usually these are tools to help Mike and I do our jobs, or automate things so we can use our time more productively. On top of that these tools help us reduce the risk of human error. More reliable systems means less issues for everyone. :)

The forums take up quite a bit of my attention. It's true that I don't post all that much, but I do use them every day and I am way more active through PM's than I am through posts. :P I also take care of most administrative forum tasks, though I'm unfortunately not getting many suggestions done at this time. :oops: And of course there's always some staff involvement, though we prefer to let the team be independent. Lastly I like to innovate, so I stay up to speed with the latest technologies and apply anything beneficial to PkHonor.

I could elaborate for a few more pages but I doubt anyone would be terribly interested. Hope this gives you some idea of what it is exactly that I do. ;)

Pls senpai
Premium Donator

Post by Pls senpai » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:04 am

Rapsey wrote:
Jaaytee wrote:This is off-topic, but what exactly does Rapsey do? I literally just don't know lol. I've only seen him post a few times.. (I'm not trying to talk bad or anything about him.)
Well that's a very good question actually. Most people have no idea what a sysadmins' job entails.

A large part of it is being responsible for the infrastructure on which everything runs. Of course there's setting up the servers, which is no small task. Making sure everything is configured securely and optimized for performance can take quite a while, but it's essential to keep everything running smoothly. Once they are set up, it's basically my job to keep them secured against all the bad things that could happen. :P For one thing, servers do require maintenance. All the software on them needs to be kept up to date with the latest security patches, otherwise we are at risk of being hacked. Another common threat nowadays would be DDoS attacks, so I need to ensure that our setup can handle it. Of course the servers themselves can suffer from hardware issues. To cope with this we monitor them at all times so I can respond immediately, often even before something actually goes wrong. Frequent backups make sure we can't lose any data, and redundant failovers are created to handle a server going offline.

One of the things I'm pretty good at is optimizing things for performance and efficiency, so I also work on keeping the internals of the game running smoothly. The database in particular, which can easily slow things down catastrophically if not optimized correctly. I have also been known to design algorithms for the game, and one of my hobbies is helping Mike brainstorm when he's developing something that pushes the boundaries of our systems. I also make sure the web-based components of PkHonor are working well. A good example of this would be caching systems, which result in faster page loading times for everyone using our website and forums. I suppose that means in a way people see my work more than they realize. :D Another thing I work on is internal tools. Usually these are tools to help Mike and I do our jobs, or automate things so we can use our time more productively. On top of that these tools help us reduce the risk of human error. More reliable systems means less issues for everyone. :)

The forums take up quite a bit of my attention. It's true that I don't post all that much, but I do use them every day and I am way more active through PM's than I am through posts. :P I also take care of most administrative forum tasks, though I'm unfortunately not getting many suggestions done at this time. :oops: And of course there's always some staff involvement, though we prefer to let the team be independent. Lastly I like to innovate, so I stay up to speed with the latest technologies and apply anything beneficial to PkHonor.

I could elaborate for a few more pages but I doubt anyone would be terribly interested. Hope this gives you some idea of what it is exactly that I do. ;)

I HAVE BEEN ASKING YOU TO MAKE A DEVELOPERS BLOG FOR HOW LONG?

I AM OVERLY INTERESTED.

Coding isn't hard, but system administration is.

wanting to know. :((((

B0rnt0b3pk
Fanatic

Post by B0rnt0b3pk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:07 am

Rapsey wrote:

This was actually quite intresting and I would for sure read more pages of it :3. The more you learn the better it is.
ImageImage

Hayden
Elite

Post by Hayden » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:16 am

I also find Rapsey's stuff very interesting

make a developers blog noob

Harry pooter
Premium Donator

Post by Harry pooter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:34 am

Rapsey wrote:

I read this entirely. I now have interest in what you do. #developerblogplz

Omfgags
Donator

Post by Omfgags » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 am

Yes!

Rawr
Premium Donator

Post by Rawr » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:11 am

Rapsey has said before that a Dev. blog for what he does would only help hackers.