OSRS item stats - always follow OSRS or not?

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.

Should we always strive to have the same equipment stats as in OSRS?

Yes
7%
No
36%
It depends on the item, if Jagex changes item stats then PkHonor should always poll the community how they feel about doing the same
55%
I don't care
3%

Total votes: 73

Mike
Programmer

OSRS item stats - always follow OSRS or not?

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:51 pm

This question isn't about any item in particular, but about our general approach when it comes to items that are found in both PkHonor and in OSRS (so we're not talking about items like custom whips, completionist capes, virtus, pernix, torva etc.). Should we (as a general rule) always use OSRS item stats, or should we not be afraid to adopt our own item stats if we feel they are better suited for our game?

I feel this question is also important in light of the upcoming equipment rebalancing that will be introduced in OSRS shortly. For example, the toxic blowpipe will (most likely) receive a significant nerf in terms of accuracy and ranged strength. Controversial as those changes are, Jagex feels they are needed in order to address the issue of the toxic blowpipe being the highest DPS weapon in a lot of situations, far outclassing most other items, which they had not intended to be the case when they first introduced the blowpipe.

Basically, if Jagex rebalances their equipment, should we do the same? Should we stick with the old stats that our players feel comfortable with? Or should we decide case by case and always poll a change with our community before making any decisions?

Josh
Premium Donator

Re: OSRS item stats - always follow OSRS or not?

Post by Josh » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:43 pm

I don't mind a poll to see if people want the change or not however as mentioned in many other update posts that this is a private server and we're becoming more and more like OSRS?

I don't see the blowpipe as being overpowered by much on this server considering when you look at the accounts that use this the most being honor accounts to help out another account when doing bosses like Bandos for instance.

On OSRS accounts with karils and basic gear can kill it with pray flicking which we don't really have and using bones to peaches, on our bandos even full bandos and chaos whip you're still drinking a brew or two a time which would make a boss that like unbalanced compared to OSRS? I know accounts who can only kill it two times in a trip with rapier ect...and then have to teleport back and do the 40 killcount again. The honor costing 40-50B and being primarily used as help with certain bosses is what you're paying for.

I don't know, Just a thought.

As the underdog once said "If I wanted to play osrs, I'd play osrs"

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:51 pm

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:43 pm As the underdog once said "If I wanted to play osrs, I'd play osrs"
Most definitely. Personally, I guess it's best to focus heavily on polls and community discussions to settle this. The only drawback of this approach is that the community is never going to be in favor of an item being nerfed unless it's being (ab)used against them in PvP. In PvM, people will only want more, at least as a general rule.

Josh
Premium Donator

Post by Josh » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:13 pm

Mike wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:51 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:43 pm As the underdog once said "If I wanted to play osrs, I'd play osrs"
Most definitely. Personally, I guess it's best to focus heavily on polls and community discussions to settle this. The only drawback of this approach is that the community is never going to be in favor of an item being nerfed unless it's being (ab)used against them in PvP. In PvM, people will only want more, at least as a general rule.
A poll would be good. I personally believe that this weapon in the way that these are used is not really overpowered. We have to remember that the weapon itself is only really used along side the Chaos comp cape which OSRS does not have.

I think if we are going to look at nerfing the BP then it would open up a can of worms with a lot of other weapons.

I'd leave this as it was as it's only really used on an honor account or TOB anyway tbh.

Elon musky
Premium Donator

Post by Elon musky » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:42 pm

I personally think it would be unwise to blindly follow the things OSRS does without first assessing the impact it’ll have on the server as a whole.

While I do agree that players will likely never willingly choose to nerf things in PVM, I think in some instances, the development team has to do what is best for the server balance, even when it upsets people. An example of that is this: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=80789&hilit=Blowpipe+chaos

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:46 pm

That osrs newspost is relevant to us as we have some of the same issues. We want to strive to osrs stats where it makes sense to do so. We can follow their changes for example if they make sense for us. Don't even have to poll it really, because we had osrs stats on those items and we effectively still have osrs stats when osrs nerfs them and we follow.

My general message from my other post is that we shouldn't want to buff new osrs items just to force them into pkhonor balance. Those items can find their place, or they don't and that's also fine. We can balance the bosses accordingly to give a money per hour or difficulty we want it to be. Because in pvm scenarios our monsters are not osrs copies to begin with. When doing things like taking away stuff everyone grinded for or doing major balance overhauls there will always be a very disappointed group of players, a very big group.

My suggestion to this 'problem' of lack of meta variety is to add osrs/challenge modes to our game. Similar to the oldschool wilderness portal we had for pvp.

Example instances with osrs bosses like zulrah or inferno. Give it an option where you can only bring osrs items, only use normal prayer book and what not. Best of both worlds in my opinion even though it's a togglescape in disguise. The 99% will be happy and all undervalued osrs clone equipment we have suddenly is very relevant again. It's a whole new discussion topic and we can work that out in time, a whole lot of fun ideas already come to mind for implementing this (extra leaderboards, unique rewards, release one at a time for hype). And there's no extreme urgency to this problem anyways. With this approach we want to stick close to osrs base stats at least for PVM. While we can still enjoy things like a higher dharoks axe accuracy on low hp for dh fights for example. And we can discuss our non osrs equipment and pvp on individual basis.

A bit more development effort than adjusting some stats, but the fruits it gives are also infinitely bigger. In the long run it will better because more often people will mention how our bosses can be improved, specific pathing issues etc to bring things closer to osrs.
#Justice4Church

Scrap iron
Premium Donator

Post by Scrap iron » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:36 pm

I think rsps should just use osrs for content, and change it how ever they feel. I prefer how things are now simply, because it's not like theres a lot other stuff to use tbh. As underdog mentioned, should only make changes if it makes sense for this server, and imo nothing they change makes sense for this server. I would assume they are making the change for what they have coming in the future maybe, but then again I don't know. They seem to be trying to make a lot more stuff have some type of use, but making something worse to make other things better has never been something I liked in any game I've played. Even if the change is considered shouldn't come until atleast a year or so after to see what new shit they may bring otherwise na.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:51 am

Just putting it out there that number 3 is really difficult in practice. OSRS balancing changes might happen because of previous balancing changes which weren't implemented here, or we might need specific ones that are never suggested there. I think we should just aim to have our own game where item balancing happens based on the way other content is being used

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:16 am

The third pick seems obviously the best one to go for. But I don't know if we can go about checking every minor update/stat fix and make a new pole every time. But if it's not a big problem then I'd obviously go with the third pick.

Scrap iron
Premium Donator

Post by Scrap iron » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:49 pm

Raj wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:51 am Just putting it out there that number 3 is really difficult in practice. OSRS balancing changes might happen because of previous balancing changes which weren't implemented here, or we might need specific ones that are never suggested there. I think we should just aim to have our own game where item balancing happens based on the way other content is being used