20 January Updates: weapon styles, smoother gameplay

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

20 January Updates: weapon styles, smoother gameplay

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:50 pm

Something that has been on my to-do list for years, but thanks to a recent post from Nazuths (referencing an OSRS update news post), I finally got the information I needed to fix this longstanding issue.

As of now, your chosen attack style in any of our 18 weapon categories (unarmed, whip, 2h, chins, salamanders, bow, sword, staff, throwing weapon, pickaxe, axe, halberd, scythe, spear, mace, claws, hammer and sword) will be remembered whenever you switch to a weapon from another category.

Similarly, autocast spells will also be remembered from now on. So if you autocast fire surge with a staff, switch to a bow and back to the staff, you will continue to autocast fire surge once you switched back to the staff. The exact staff you are using does not matter - so if you autocast a spell with an Ahrim's staff and switch to an ancient staff, you will keep autocasting that same spell.
Note that, just like in OSRS, your autocast selection will not be remembered in PvP areas such as the wilderness or duel arena.

Whenever you switch to a weapon category for the very first time, the first style in the interface will be selected by default (for most melee weapons, this is the "accurate" style). So the first time you switch to a bow, you will be on accurate mode. After that, the style you choose in that category will be remembered forever for any weapon in that category.
I know that the rapid style is the preferred mode for almost any bow or throwing weapon, but making this the default was very impractical and prone to bugs from a technical point of view.

Charged staffs (Trident of the seas/swamp, Sanguinesti staff and Dawnbringer) along with the whip/tentacle of magic are considered as having their own category. This means the game will remember whatever spell you were autocasting with a whip of magic, separate from whatever spell you were autocasting with a staff. As for charged staffs, the game will remember whether you were using regular autocast, defensive autocast or melee attacks with that specific charged staff.

Hopefully our weapon styles should now work the same way as in OSRS, be easier to work with and prevent further frustration when switching between weapons.

In further news, we have also made some changes to the way packets are processed. To make a long story short, switching equipment should feel more like OSRS now, while many other packets (such as clicking buttons or opening an interface) should feel much smoother than before.

Please let us know if any problems arise because of this update, so we can resolve them as quickly as possible.

Masse94
Novice

Re: 20 January Updates: weapon styles, smoother gameplay

Post by Masse94 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 pm

THANK YOU <3 <3 <3

Vik
Honor Player

Post by Vik » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:04 pm

Mike wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:50 pm In further news, we have also made some changes to the way packets are processed. To make a long story short, switching equipment should feel more like OSRS now, while many other packets (such as clicking buttons or opening an interface) should feel much smoother than before.
Seems exciting looking forward to this

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:05 pm

Noice improvement for pvp and for quite a few pvm related bosses as well.
Goodjob

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:07 pm

Update: a player named Aloeve contacted me just now saying that in OSRS, autocast selection is not remembered in PvP. The official OSRS news post (which I referenced in my first post on this topic) confirms this.

Therefore, just like in OSRS, your autocast selection will not be remembered in PvP areas such as the wilderness or duel arena.

Pvm is fun
Premium Donator

Post by Pvm is fun » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:11 pm

Awesome QOL update! Ty! :)

Brant
Fanatic

Post by Brant » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 pm

Finally can do TOB without a headache

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm

1/2 things from my wishlist done :thumbsup:

Good thing autocast isn't remembered in pvp, I'd become too strong.
#Justice4Church

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:25 pm

@Mike
I don't this is how it's supposed to act when trying to select autocast barrage?
https://i.gyazo.com/1a650be2daec4540cb1 ... 9239de.mp4
Too lazy to figure out how to show the video on here lol.

D 4 u 4
Premium Donator

Post by D 4 u 4 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 pm

Not sure about smoother gameplay, just logged in and my fps is terrible. Never had this problem before.