9 January Updates: New teleport interface

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Monys
Forum Addict

Re: 9 January Updates: New teleport interface

Post by Monys » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Mike wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:33 pm Remembering weapon style surely is a tricky one for me, because I honestly have no idea how it's supposed to work. If anyone can tell me how that all works, I'll be sure to fix it (it's one of those nasty to-do's that's been on my list for 4 years but just don't know how to get it done).

Like, what happens when you switch from an ags to a whip? Both have completely different styles.
What if you switch from an ags to a whip and then back to your ags?
What if you switch from an ags to a whip to a bgs?
What if you switch from a magic shortbow to a whip, to a staff and back to the magic shortbow?

Once these questions are answered, I'm sure I can work this out. Believe me, I want this fixed just as much as you all do ;)
I believe it is based off what the category the weapon is a part of
Spoiler: show
Should Weapon categories remember the previous attack style being used when equipped? For example, if a player used any sword previously with the "Defensive" attack style, any other sword will continue to be used with the Defensive style when equipped.
Spoiler: show
Should autocast options be remembered when equipping a magical weapon? Each autocast configuration layout will be remembered seperately. Magical weapons which share the same layout will share the spell remembered. For example, the Staff of Light and Staff of the Dead share the same autocast configuration layout and would, in turn, share which spell is remembered. This would only be for non-PvP areas.
This was taken from an OSRS poll

Remember to ::vote for "Mony" ingame

Proud member of PkHonor

Empty
Honor Player

Post by Empty » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:24 pm

really nice qol!

Elon musky
Premium Donator

Post by Elon musky » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:38 pm

Mike wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:33 pm Remembering weapon style surely is a tricky one for me, because I honestly have no idea how it's supposed to work. If anyone can tell me how that all works, I'll be sure to fix it (it's one of those nasty to-do's that's been on my list for 4 years but just don't know how to get it done).

Like, what happens when you switch from an ags to a whip? Both have completely different styles.
What if you switch from an ags to a whip and then back to your ags?
What if you switch from an ags to a whip to a bgs?
What if you switch from a magic shortbow to a whip, to a staff and back to the magic shortbow?

Once these questions are answered, I'm sure I can work this out. Believe me, I want this fixed just as much as you all do ;)
I think a simple way to code it (if possible):

Each item has its own attack style memory linked to each individual account, and it can only be changed manually. Here are examples using your provided examples.

The first time an account uses an AGS, it is set to crush, once it is changed to stab, that memory is stored on that account, it it’ll only change if changed by the account. So every time to equip an AGS, it will be in stab. This would be done for every weapon (or weapon style if that’s simpler) in the game.

So your Shortbow will be set to rapid, then when you switch to a whip, it’ll go to whatever the attack style was the last time you used a whip (slash), then when you switch to the staff, it’ll go to the last attack style you used with a staff (or the specific staff if you can be that technical) (crush), then when you switch back to a short bow, the style it was on when you unequiped it (rapid) will be selected when you reequip it.

I hope that makes sense.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Xsquire1 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:38 pm I think a simple way to code it (if possible):

Each item has its own attack style memory linked to each individual account, and it can only be changed manually. Here are examples using your provided examples.

The first time an account uses an AGS, it is set to crush, once it is changed to stab, that memory is stored on that account, it it’ll only change if changed by the account. So every time to equip an AGS, it will be in stab. This would be done for every weapon (or weapon style if that’s simpler) in the game.

So your Shortbow will be set to rapid, then when you switch to a whip, it’ll go to whatever the attack style was the last time you used a whip (slash), then when you switch to the staff, it’ll go to the last attack style you used with a staff (or the specific staff if you can be that technical) (crush), then when you switch back to a short bow, the style it was on when you unequiped it (rapid) will be selected when you reequip it.

I hope that makes sense.
Simple to code perhaps, although you then need to store the attack style for every weapon that has ever been used, for every player, forever. Not very efficient.

I'm pretty sure that's not how attack styles are supposed to behave. Seems better to just get it right.

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:44 pm

Slap a ho wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:05 am I realize this post is old.

As of today, previous comments made are not accurate as they’re outdated.

As of today, OSRS classifies each combat weapon under a category: staff, dagger, bow, dart, sword, whip, hammer, etc..

The combat style you use for that weapon category is remembered and applied. So if you’re using a sword on accurate and previously had used a bow on rapid, switching to a bow will be remembered as being on rapid and switching back to a sword will be remembered as being on accurate.

You can read the update here: https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/6th ... ldschool=1

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:03 pm

Nazuths wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:44 pm
Slap a ho wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:05 am I realize this post is old.

As of today, previous comments made are not accurate as they’re outdated.

As of today, OSRS classifies each combat weapon under a category: staff, dagger, bow, dart, sword, whip, hammer, etc..

The combat style you use for that weapon category is remembered and applied. So if you’re using a sword on accurate and previously had used a bow on rapid, switching to a bow will be remembered as being on rapid and switching back to a sword will be remembered as being on accurate.

You can read the update here: https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/6th ... ldschool=1
There's a total of 18 weapon categories, or rather 18 unique combat interfaces (unarmed, whip, 2h, chins, salamanders, bow, sword, staff, throwing weapon, pickaxe, axe, halberd, scythe, spear, mace, claws, hammer and sword). I suppose what that post says is that the weapon style for each of these 18 categories is remembed and saved per account.

Makes sense to me, and also relatively easy to implement (and far easier in storage than remembering every single weapon). Thank you for sharing this information with us, I'll make sure this is added in the next update!

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Mike wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:03 pm

There's a total of 18 weapon categories, or rather 18 unique combat interfaces (unarmed, whip, 2h, chins, salamanders, bow, sword, staff, throwing weapon, pickaxe, axe, halberd, scythe, spear, mace, claws, hammer and sword). I suppose what that post says is that the weapon style for each of these 18 categories is remembed and saved per account.

Makes sense to me, and also relatively easy to implement (and far easier in storage than remembering every single weapon). Thank you for sharing this information with us, I'll make sure this is added in the next update!
Keep in mind that, if you equip a staff and set it on a spell, the next time you'll equip it again, it will remember the spell selected. That works in OSRS since only a handful of staves can autocast spells, but here it should be easier to implement since all staves can autocast almost every spell. However, I might be wrong on this and I need citation from someone much more experienced in OSRS than me.

Iron reck
Premium Donator

Post by Iron reck » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:01 pm

As for switching attack styles it partially works now for melee to range and visa versa, as when you have a whip on lash when switching to range it goes to rapid, but where this QOL change really matters is mage to range, where you switch from auto casting or even trident spell and it goes back to accurate on the range item rather than rapid. On OSRS when switching back to the range weapon from mage the attack style wouldn't change.
ImageImage

Pk gts
Honor Player

Post by Pk gts » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 pm

nice now we just need this for the slayer block interface

Brant
Fanatic

Post by Brant » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:40 pm

As for the range combat style, we can just have it auto set to rapid everytime because let's be honest. No one uses accurate.