Warning: you need to bring Boots of stone or Boots of brimstone to the dungeon, otherwise you will rapidly take damage from the hot floor! Donators and premium members do not need to bring any boots. Boots of stone can be purchased for 1,000 coins from any slayer master.
First off, the Alchemical Hydra!
It has exactly the same mechanics as the Alchemical Hydra in OSRS. It requires a slayer level of 95 to kill and you can only kill it while on a Hydra slayer task, which is currently assigned as both a hard and elite task. You need to have a slayer streak of at least 3 to be assigned Hydras to prevent simple task skipping.
It has four phases: green, blue, red and black. In the first three phases, you need to lure it over the correct chemical vent to reduce its defences. Luring it over the wrong vent will increase its max hit instead. Each phase also uses a special attack: poison, lightning and fire. It will continually switch between ranged and magic attacks in the same manner as on OSRS. However, unlike OSRS, there is only a single roll on its droptable. The rates have been increased to compensate for this.
The drops are as follows:
- Hydra bones, granting 4,000 prayer XP when buried.
- Hydra leather, which can be crafted into Ferocious gloves at the machinery inside the Lithkren vault. These gloves provide the best in slot melee bonuses and can be traded.
- Hydra's claw, which can be combined with a Zamorakian hasta to create the Dragon hunter lance. This lance has +20% accuracy and damage against dragonkin monsters (see this article).
- Alchemical Hydra heads, which can be stuffed and then mounted in a player-owned house or used to recolour a slayer helmet.
- Hydra's eye, fang and heart, which can be combined into a brimstone ring. The brimstone ring grants the combined bonuses of the archer, berserker, seers and warrior ring but cannot be imbued. It also gives you a 25% chance to ignore 10% of the target's total magic defence, this also applies to powered staffs such as the trident or Sanguinesti staff. The ring is tradeable, its components are not. Similar to the Abyssal bludgeon and Dark totem, you will always receive the component you have the least of.
- Dragon thrownaxes, these have a special attack that offers 25% bonus accuracy and guarantees an attack on the next game tick.
- Dragon knives, these have a special attack that will make you throw two knives at once. The knives can be poisoned.
- Ikkle Hydra, the Hydra pet, which can be changed into four different colours. Like all other boss pets, it can be fed an ex-ex-parrot to be turned into a lucky pet.
Similar to the Alchemical Hydra, Hydras require a slayer level of 95 to kill. However, they can be killed without slayer task. They drop the same items but they do not drop the Hydra leather, claw, heads or pet. After every 9 attacks, they will spit three blobs of poison which you need to dodge.
Drakes attack with melee and ranged and will launch a dragon breath attack after every 7 attacks. This dragon breath attack can be dodged by walking away or can be partially blocked through an anti-dragon shield. It drops the following items:
- Drake bones, granting 3,000 prayer XP when buried
- Drake's claw, which can be combined with Boots of stone to create Boots of brimstone. These boots provide decent defensive bonuses along with small ranged and magic bonuses, unlike most melee boots which grant negative ranged and magic bonuses.
- Drake's tooth, which can be combined with Holy sandals to create Devout boots. These boots provide the highest prayer bonus for any pair of boots. As part of this update, the Holy sandals have been added as a possible reward from medium clues caskets.
- Dragon thrownaxes
- Dragon knives
The weakest of the new dragonkin monsters introduced in this update, Wyrms use melee and magic attacks and drop the following items:
- Wyrm bones, granting 600 prayer XP when buried.
- Dragon sword, its special attack grants 25% bonus accuracy and damage to your next attack.
- Dragon harpoon, which is similar to the barb-tailed harpoon so it can be used to fish sharks without losing an inventory slot. It can be combined with the smoudering stone to give a 1/3 chance to instantly cook your catch. After 5,000 uses, you will need to recharge it with another smouldering stone. It has a special attack that boosts your fishing skill with 3 levels.
- Dragon thrownaxes
- Dragon knives
Lastly, we have also decided to lower the price of the wooden shield in the donator store to 50,000 coins instead of 75,000.
That's all for now! Next year we'll first be wrapping up the slayer expansion that Thoby has already done a lot of work for and then focus our attention on the Chambers of Xeric.
Happy new year everyone!