Callisto - Community bossing event

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Slap a ho
Champion
Posts: 1605
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Slap a ho » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Lieven wrote:
Where did I complain about forcing people into the Wild? I’m aware that’s where Callisto resides, as is everyone else.

. People just want a little more personal reward when they’re being forced into the wilderness
?
That’s.. not a complaint.
Lieven wrote:Can't have it both ways fam. Either you're happy because you got what you asked in detail, or you're disappointed because you got what you asked vaguely. If the community wants the server to be community-driven then they actually have to drive the server instead of playing a game of "hot, hotter, cold, colder" with the devs and staff team
It’s not the communities job to give the utmost detail. The community is providing feedback, the staff team/community manager is responsible for compiling that feedback, interpreting it to the best of their ability, and delivering a result to be presented again.

There’s dozens of opinions and personalities. You have to have an appointed person to interpret everyone’s ideas to the best of their ability and figure out what fits best. It’s like you expect every person in the community to have the same outlook. They simply don’t. That’s why community managers exist.

If one person gives an awesome detailed description on what they want, there could be 10 others that disagree and think it should be this way. So who do you follow? The only detailed description that everyone doesn’t like or the 10 others who gave a brief overview of what they want? Pick your poison.
Image

User avatar
Lieven
Premium Donator
Posts: 9498
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Lieven » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Slap a ho wrote:
Lieven wrote:
Where did I complain about forcing people into the Wild? I’m aware that’s where Callisto resides, as is everyone else.

. People just want a little more personal reward when they’re being forced into the wilderness
?
That’s.. not a complaint.
Lieven wrote:Can't have it both ways fam. Either you're happy because you got what you asked in detail, or you're disappointed because you got what you asked vaguely. If the community wants the server to be community-driven then they actually have to drive the server instead of playing a game of "hot, hotter, cold, colder" with the devs and staff team
It’s not the communities job to give the utmost detail. The community is providing feedback, the staff team/community manager is responsible for compiling that feedback, interpreting it to the best of their ability, and delivering a result to be presented again.

There’s dozens of opinions and personalities. You have to have an appointed person to interpret everyone’s ideas to the best of their ability and figure out what fits best. It’s like you expect every person in the community to have the same outlook. They simply don’t. That’s why community managers exist.

If one person gives an awesome detailed description on what they want, there could be 10 others that disagree and think it should be this way. So who do you follow? The only detailed description that everyone doesn’t like or the 10 others who gave a brief overview of what they want? Pick your poison.
That's why it's important for as many people to give their opinion or even start a poll where they, (for example) propose an event with it's rewards laid out. If many people vote, then you have your entire community speaking instead of needing a community manager. Another reason why poll booths would make a fine addition. Could have an "official" section by staff/devs and a "community" section by the community.

But yeah, in most cases I'd say follow the detailed suggestion unless it's preposterous or if there's more people in favor of another similar suggestion. As you say, it's community driven. If you ask, you receive. The person who can ask precisely what they want will obviously get it as there's less space for staff members to get shit if the community doesn't like it. They did as told by the community. It was suggested by a community member and the community should've spoken up and suggested something better then. If 10 others gave a brief overview, check it out. But if by brief you mean a vague "add red skull" compared to a detailed description that may have aspects people don't like such as a cooldown; "add the red skull, make it so you lose all your items on death. ::redskull command would have a 30 min cooldown timer. Only wears off on death or at a fountain." then yeah lmao, no shit that those 10 brief descriptions aren't going to be considered.
There's no need to provide pretty much the code or an entire technical briefing, but it sure helps to be clear.

It isn't the communities job of precisely suggesting stuff right now, but it should be. How the hell do you drive a server as a community if all you say is "oh uh i want something kinda like this" and 95% of the time complain by saying the rewards are useless or OP? Gotta know exactly what we want as a collective, and we have the means to getting to know this. As I said earlier, if we don't exactly say what we want, we will continue to play a "hot, hotter, cold, colder"-game with the devs and staff.
Last edited by Lieven on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Been feeding Robert my titty milk since year 293 after the conquest

Pvm porn
Honor Player
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Pvm porn » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Lieven wrote:The big ticket reward here are curses.
Just on the record. The ancient prayer book rewards 2 hours of curses. Or 160 pkp
Dr phyll wrote:
If u want an argument then start talking about the problems;
If you want a good productive conversation then start with the solution.

User avatar
Lieven
Premium Donator
Posts: 9498
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Lieven » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Pvm porn wrote:
Lieven wrote:The big ticket reward here are curses.
Just on the record. The ancient prayer book rewards 2 hours of curses. Or 160 pkp
Which is a generous amount of time to get for just participating with an event. Allows irons and new players to get upgrades by killing bosses they wouldn't be able to kill (as easily) and it would give fresh PKers who participate a taste of why curses are worth getting.
Been feeding Robert my titty milk since year 293 after the conquest

User avatar
Slap a ho
Champion
Posts: 1605
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Slap a ho » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Lieven wrote:How the hell do you drive a server as a community if all you say is "oh uh i want something kinda like this" and 95% of the time complain by saying the rewards are useless or OP?
OSRS team is doing it pretty well. Sure, you’re gonna catch shit regardless, but that’s to be expected. Proposing an idea, get that idea destroyed and picked apart, fine tune that idea with the feedback given, present it again, rinse and repeat until the majority of people agree.
Lieven wrote:It isn't the communities job of precisely suggesting stuff right now, but it should be.
Sure, it should be if everyone was cookie cutter but that’s not reality. Therefore, you’re left with an appointed person or group to interpret the ideas to the best of their ability.
Image

User avatar
Lieven
Premium Donator
Posts: 9498
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Lieven » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:43 pm

Slap a ho wrote:
Lieven wrote:How the hell do you drive a server as a community if all you say is "oh uh i want something kinda like this" and 95% of the time complain by saying the rewards are useless or OP?
OSRS team is doing it pretty well. Sure, you’re gonna catch shit regardless, but that’s to be expected. Proposing an idea, get that idea destroyed and picked apart, fine tune that idea with the feedback given, present it again, rinse and repeat until the majority of people agree.
Aw man I wish it worked like that on PKH. I agree that OSRS does it good but we don't really have as much time as OSRS does. OSRS can go multiple months without updates because there's so much content and long grinds. On PKH you can max your stats under a month and get a taste of most of the content. RSPS players can't stay interested for so long with re-polling. It's kind of a few hits or misses and then something else is proposed. That's why I'm a fan of the community proposing stuff: A suggestion made by your peers is going to be more quickly accepted by the community than a suggestion of a dev.
Lieven wrote:It isn't the communities job of precisely suggesting stuff right now, but it should be.
Sure, it should be if everyone was cookie cutter but that’s not reality. Therefore, you’re left with an appointed person or group to interpret the ideas to the best of their ability.
But that person isn't Ely or Ryan and that group isn't the staff team. I'm definitely not against the idea of a community representative or even multiple but the staff team (no offense) is kind of disconected with the average joe on this server. Someone who doesn't hold any other rank would fit in nicely as a community representative/w.e. The main concern with that is that it's basically starting to look a lot like GQC V2, and we all know how the GQC turned out even though the idea behind it was good and effort was put into it by the community
Been feeding Robert my titty milk since year 293 after the conquest

User avatar
Ely
Game Administrator
Posts: 5973
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: England

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Ely » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:46 pm

James wrote: Great idea! It's not like I've done that during previous events and PMed Ely about it so that it did get changed!

I guess you caught me out on that last paragraph. I'm just not interested at all! It's not like it has anything to do with the fact that I cannot predict what events the staff team are going to decide on next.
I’m sure I’ve talked with you about previous rewards, and made changes on your feedback, if that’s what you’re trying to say. You might not be able to predict which NPC will be next but giving a general idea or suggestion on which items we should use as rewards goes a long way.

As for rewards in general, we’re trying to establish some balance so we can continue bringing community events consistently in the future. My aim here is to not take a long 1 year + break, but bring the events out in blocks. Sure all the rewards get compared to the Zamorak event, though it was quite clear these rewards were on the better side, as pointed out by most of you. Because one event had good rewards, its hard to reduce rewards to what is maybe more appropriate without it seeming like a massive nurf.
Take the dagannoth event rewards for example, we reduced them from the Zamorak event because overall the boss is easier, but this was also due to the amount of feedback from the zamorak rewards being too good.
Moving forward, to make these events even better we’ll continue to gather staff feedback on rewards lists, and ensure the rewards are interesting and not just the NPC drop table, which is the loot you’ve already gathered throughout the week.

If anyone has feedback or ideas which they would like to share, my forums PM is always open.
Image

User avatar
Treehugger
Premium Donator
Posts: 4377
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Treehugger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:56 pm

:)
Image
Image

User avatar
Slap a ho
Champion
Posts: 1605
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Slap a ho » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Lieven wrote:OSRS can go multiple months without updates because there's so much content and long grinds.
There’s an update every thursday, big or small.
Lieven wrote:But that person isn't Ely or Ryan and that group isn't the staff team. I'm definitely not against the idea of a community representative or even multiple but the staff team (no offense) is kind of disconected with the average joe on this server. Someone who doesn't hold any other rank would fit in nicely as a community representative/w.e. The main concern with that is that it's basically starting to look a lot like GQC V2, and we all know how the GQC turned out even though the idea behind it was good and effort was put into it by the community
A community manager is needed imo. Title and in-game status included.

GQC was pretty shitty. I never saw anything productive come from it, probably because it was a bunch of people throwing shit at a wall and hoping it stuck. You need someone to drive the ideas into results which wasn’t being done.
Image

User avatar
Monys
Honor Player
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 am

Re: Callisto - Community bossing event

Post by Monys » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:36 pm

Slap a ho wrote:
Lieven wrote:OSRS can go multiple months without updates because there's so much content and long grinds.
There’s an update every thursday, big or small.
Lieven wrote:But that person isn't Ely or Ryan and that group isn't the staff team. I'm definitely not against the idea of a community representative or even multiple but the staff team (no offense) is kind of disconected with the average joe on this server. Someone who doesn't hold any other rank would fit in nicely as a community representative/w.e. The main concern with that is that it's basically starting to look a lot like GQC V2, and we all know how the GQC turned out even though the idea behind it was good and effort was put into it by the community
A community manager is needed imo. Title and in-game status included.

GQC was pretty shitty. I never saw anything productive come from it, probably because it was a bunch of people throwing shit at a wall and hoping it stuck. You need someone to drive the ideas into results which wasn’t being done.

I think a community rep would be very beneficial to the server. Even a few of them wouldn't be a bad idea. They could be in charge of running polls and gathering feedback from players both in-game and forums. Like Lieven said, the higher ups don't really log in a ton and see what is being talked about, not trying to bash anyone but that is just the truth IMO. The best way to know what a community wants is to be engaged in it. It could even be broken into two divisions, pkers and pvmers/skillers. Just an idea.
::vote

Post Reply