K'ril Tsuratoth - Zamorak GWD event

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Rapsey
Sysadmin

Re: K'ril Tsuratoth - Zamorak GWD event

Post by Rapsey » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:06 pm

James wrote:I don't think this event should be avoided simply because people MAY boost. Moderators will be participating in the event so they can punish those that do boost.
People MAY boost? :lol: I'd be surprised if more than half the participants tried to do it legit.

In all seriousness I do believe events are not worth doing if they would create too much work to manage. It's easy to say "just let staff handle it" but in this case that would mean they have to check the kills of every participant. It's just too much work for what it is. It's also not really worth making it super tempting to boost and then pissing off a bunch of players by disqualifying or punishing them.

I do agree that just because people try to boost doesn't mean we shouldn't have any events like this. At the same time we shouldn't create events that are super easy to cheat, doesn't matter if it's PvP or something else. So instead of just dumping it onto staff I think we should at least look for ways to make boosting more difficult (and let staff handle the rest). For example by restricting the event to a certain area like the Edgeville wilderness. We may not be able to prevent boosting completely but we can go a long way by not giving people a quiet corner to do it in.

D 4 u 4
Premium Donator

Post by D 4 u 4 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Rapsey wrote:people would just boost like it's a 1-month triple CW rewards event.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Rapsey wrote:
James wrote:I don't think this event should be avoided simply because people MAY boost. Moderators will be participating in the event so they can punish those that do boost.
People MAY boost? :lol: I'd be surprised if more than half the participants tried to do it legit.

In all seriousness I do believe events are not worth doing if they would create too much work to manage. It's easy to say "just let staff handle it" but in this case that would mean they have to check the kills of every participant. It's just too much work for what it is. It's also not really worth making it super tempting to boost and then pissing off a bunch of players by disqualifying or punishing them.

I do agree that just because people try to boost doesn't mean we shouldn't have any events like this. At the same time we shouldn't create events that are super easy to cheat, doesn't matter if it's PvP or something else. So instead of just dumping it onto staff I think we should at least look for ways to make boosting more difficult (and let staff handle the rest). For example by restricting the event to a certain area like the Edgeville wilderness. We may not be able to prevent boosting completely but we can go a long way by not giving people a quiet corner to do it in.
It could also be BH targets only. If many people were in the wildy for such an event I don't think it'd be easy at all to get your desired BH target (AKA the person in on the boosting). It could also be linked to k/d, so that people would have to kill their friends' mules if they wanted to boost, as the friends would want their reward too.
How about that? This would minimise the risk of boosting unless the entire community was in on it tbh

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Lieven wrote:
It could also be BH targets only. If many people were in the wildy for such an event I don't think it'd be easy at all to get your desired BH target (AKA the person in on the boosting). It could also be linked to k/d, so that people would have to kill their friends' mules if they wanted to boost, as the friends would want their reward too.
How about that? This would minimise the risk of boosting unless the entire community was in on it tbh
I don't think the k/d thing is a good idea or even an effective countermeasure at all. The BH targets thing could work (part of how it was countered in the achievement diary) but even then it's quite easy to boost. Getting your friend as a target 15 times in a week isn't exactly hard with our wilderness activity. It's still way easier than getting 15 genuine kills for most people.

James
Premium Donator

Post by James » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:01 pm

Limit it to a boxed area of edgeville wilderness.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Rapsey wrote:
Lieven wrote:
I don't think the k/d thing is a good idea or even an effective countermeasure at all. The BH targets thing could work (part of how it was countered in the achievement diary) but even then it's quite easy to boost. Getting your friend as a target 15 times in a week isn't exactly hard with our wilderness activity. It's still way easier than getting 15 genuine kills for most people.
That all depends on how many people turn up for the event. It's not hard to get your friend as a target if there's two people in wildy, but it gets harder and harder the more people enter the wild. Which is heavily dependant on finetuning the rewards, duration and execution of the event.