10 January Updates - improved packet handling

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Ross
Premium Donator

Re: 10 January Updates - improved packet handling

Post by Ross » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 am

shit

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 am

Ross wrote:shit
No you aren't. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Pls senpai
Premium Donator

Post by Pls senpai » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:35 am

Game feels like it used to mike. Thank you to you and the dev team in responding to the outcries of the community with the swiftness.

Egolith
Premium Donator

Post by Egolith » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am

Rapsey wrote:
Thoby wrote:Amazing, great work!

Does the combat work on a global tick cycle though? F.e. is it possible that the if you click the other player .3 seconds later than that player clicks you, your hits will always appear 0.3 seconds later than the opponents? Or is that handled in the .6 tick cycle? Most likely the second option, looking at staking for example, but just to be sure?
There are only global tick cycles (not per player) and combat is always handled in these, that much has never changed. The changes here are about server responsiveness.

Simplified example: if you click to attack another player or NPC the server will immediately let you start attacking, so it doesn't feel laggy. But the whole combat processing, the server-side calculations of the hits, that happens in the global cycles. Your hit doesn't get calculated the moment your attack-click is received by the server. This only marks your account as "currently attacking player/NPC X" (instantly) and then in the next cycle the server will look at your position, weapon speed etc to determine if there should be a hit.
First off, hi Rapsey my dude! Haven't talked to ya in a long while :D

Now onto my question adding on to this: I know in osrs there is PID that takes into effect the prioritization of registering a hit in correspondence with game ticks. I'm not sure if this question has been brought up, but is there a form of PID in pkh and if there is, does these changes in the response from the server have any modifications in PID?

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Egolith wrote:Now onto my question adding on to this: I know in osrs there is PID that takes into effect the prioritization of registering a hit in correspondence with game ticks. I'm not sure if this question has been brought up, but is there a form of PID in pkh and if there is, does these changes in the response from the server have any modifications in PID?
No and no, there is no PID and these changes don't affect that.

What people call PID really means that someone always has to be first. Even if two players hit within the same game tick someone has to be first, so then it's just the (seemingly random) internal processing order aka PID. PkHonor doesn't work that way. We don't insist on having one victor. If you both hit on the same tick then you both hit. If you both die then it's a draw. Processing order doesn't matter. The only way you can get your hit registered before someone else's is by being faster and landing it at least 1 tick before he hits you.

So while an OSRS game tick looks like this:
  • Process actions of player A and apply them on player B
  • Process actions of player B => nvm, he's already dead
Ours does this:
  • Process actions of player A
  • Process actions of player B
  • Apply actions on both players