9 January Updates - no more instant switching, dupe fix

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

9 January Updates - no more instant switching, dupe fix

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:59 am

Important changes in todays updates!

First and foremost, no more instant switching! For a long time, players have complained about being able to instantly equip or unequip gear in between game ticks. In OSRS and every single other RSPS, when you click multiple items at once to equip them, there will be a very brief delay (the time until the next game tick) after which you will equip all the items at once. In PkHonor, you would always immediately equip every item that you click. Although it seemed the better choice (to reduce any lag or clicking delays players might experience), this created some bizarre and unintended side effects.

A few months ago I had attempted to fix this, but was unsuccessful in doing so. It was only yesterday that I found where exactly the origin of the problem was.
That being said, instant switching is now a thing of the past and should no longer be an issue.

Secondly, throughout the past few years, there had been very rare occurrences of players getting a couple of minutes of account progress rolled back, accidentally receiving a duplicated item in their inventory or bank or an item being lost without a trace.
A couple of days ago, a player contacted us stating he had found a way to reproduce this issue. He gave us the exact instructions to do so, and although it still took us several days to discover the cause, we have finally managed to do so!
Of course, we can never guarantee a 100% dupe-free server. Every now and then (once a year on average), an update introduces a new one, but so far we have always managed to minimize their effects and fix them within a very short time.

The dupe that is fixed today is the one dupe (and rollback issue) that had been evading us for years. Especially since it happened on such a rare occasion and nobody managed to reliably reproduce it, nor did anyone - until a few days ago - know how to do it. A huge thank you to this player (any others that assisted him) in finding and reporting it.
Let it be an example to all other players that abusing a bug results in an immediate account ban and confiscation of items - but reporting a dupe results in a hefty reward instead.

The dupe was caused by being able to log in at the exact time that your account is being logged out. There used to be a very brief delay (just a couple of milliseconds) in which you are able to log in right before your account gets saved from the logout. By doing so, the server would load an account that is up to 2 minutes outdated and give the appearance of a rolled back account.

In further news:
  • Fixed a bug where you would be unable to kill a Glacyte when it is no longer aggressive towards you
  • Smithing a dragonfire shield from an anti-dragon shield and a draconic visage now requires a smithing level of 90 instead of 95
  • Fixed the Saradomin sword special attack animation
  • Fixed the slayer level requirement to kill Turoths (is now 55 instead of 65)
  • You will now always receive at least 50,000 coins when opening an easy clue casket
  • Fixed not always being able to attack Castle Wars barricades with melee attacks
  • Fixed not being able to right-click using 'Control-click' on MacOS
  • Fixed the message "Nothing interesting happens" when using items on the item set exchange clerk
  • Fixed the message when you reach a mining level of 93. It now says "You can now use the deposit box in the Heroes guild" instead of "You can now mine rune ore in the Heroes guild"

Now that all of these are out of the way, I can continue my work on the rune pouch, menagerie and release of Ultimate Ironman Mode. Stay tuned!

Kylo ren
Honor Player

Re: 8 Janary Updates - no more instant switching, dupe fix

Post by Kylo ren » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Dope

Mcpuff
Premium Donator

Re: 9 Janary Updates - no more instant switching, dupe fix

Post by Mcpuff » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 pm

Always look foward to the next updates. Thank you for all your work!

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Can’t wait to get home today and try control click!!

Thanks so much Mike, awesome to finally have the dupe solved, and switches functional!

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

"Smithing a dragonfire shield from an anti-dragon shield and a draconic visage now requires a smithing level of 90 instead of 95"

Hype
#Justice4Church

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Np

Pim
Premium Donator

Post by Pim » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:31 pm

l0l0l0l no more instant switches now underdogs are gonna have a baaad time

Cancerstick
Wise One

Post by Cancerstick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Maybe this was intentional with the update, or maybe not:

It seems like that since the update, every thing you do in game has a delay now. Opening the bank, using presets, moving, clicking through menu's, ect…

Wondering if this has something to do with the instant switching fix? After speaking with some other players, they seem to be having the same issue. I can also confirm that this isn't a "lag" specific to me, as I have noticed this one two different computers, with two different ISP's today (work and home).

Lykos
Premium Donator

Post by Lykos » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Man a "hefty" reward? I sure appreciate the white phat for reporting a dupe to you guys a while back. Still glad to have helped the community nonethless (^:
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Cancerstick wrote:Maybe this was intentional with the update, or maybe not:

It seems like that since the update, every thing you do in game has a delay now. Opening the bank, using presets, moving, clicking through menu's, ect…

Wondering if this has something to do with the instant switching fix? After speaking with some other players, they seem to be having the same issue. I can also confirm that this isn't a "lag" specific to me, as I have noticed this one two different computers, with two different ISP's today (work and home).
Yep, this is definitely the case. It seems like everything is now on the tick cycle. I guess its debatable whether or not this is a good thing. Personally, I really liked the way we had it before. Ideally this change would only be applied to switching. Having interfaces opening instantly was an amazing feature and a big reason why pkhonor feels more playable than osrs.