Major upcoming NPC pathfinding update

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Jonas
Fanatic

Re: Major upcoming NPC pathfinding update

Post by Jonas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Thelategamer wrote:Nex doesn't follow you anymore unless it goes in to do a melee attack.
His range of attack is very high, that might be the problem. He doesn't have to move to attack you.

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:27 pm

seems like pvp if you click to attack someone it runs to them like normal
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Kenneth
Honor Player

Post by Kenneth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Odium and malediction shards are not in any of the wildy boss drop tables
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but range and magic npcs are supposed to walk up to you, unless you are attacking them? IIRC that's a main mechanic for chinning at arma?
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Slap a ho
Champion

Post by Slap a ho » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Troll n roll wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but range and magic npcs are supposed to walk up to you, unless you are attacking them? IIRC that's a main mechanic for chinning at arma?
Correct. It’s a luring technique used for many, many, NPC’s.

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Blackbird wrote:Odium and malediction shards are not in any of the wildy boss drop tables
on a test server that gives you every drop, you still manage to be unlucky
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Jonas
Fanatic

Post by Jonas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Troll n roll wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but range and magic npcs are supposed to walk up to you, unless you are attacking them? IIRC that's a main mechanic for chinning at arma?
Easily fixable if you adjust the range of their attacks. For example at Elves, their range is like 5 tiles, so if you attack them from 10+ tiles, they'll walk up to you till they're in range and attack you.

Slap a ho
Champion

Post by Slap a ho » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Jonas wrote:
Easily fixable if you adjust the range of their attacks. For example at Elves, their range is like 5 tiles, so if you attack them from 10+ tiles, they'll walk up to you till they're in range and attack you.
Not how it works. What he’s talking about is the NPC’s automatically getting agro towards you from spawn & walking to you, being 1 tile away. In OSRS, you don’t attack them until they get into their spot. If you attack, they stop moving towards you if they’re within their attack range & continue attacking from a distance.

Arma is the best example of it because that’s where it’s most commonly used. The strategy is to not retaliate until the melee minion is in front of you and Kree behind the melee minion. Then you attack the melee minion and it splashes arma in the back for bonus damage.

Jonas
Fanatic

Post by Jonas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:23 pm

Slap a ho wrote:
Jonas wrote:
Not how it works. What he’s talking about is the NPC’s automatically getting agro towards you from spawn & walking to you, being 1 tile away. In OSRS, you don’t attack them until they get into their spot. If you attack, they stop moving towards you if they’re within their attack range & continue attacking from a distance.

Arma is the best example of it because that’s where it’s most commonly used. The strategy is to not retaliate until the melee minion is in front of you and Kree behind the melee minion. Then you attack the melee minion and it splashes arma in the back for bonus damage.
Oh cool, never knew that.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 am

Slap a ho wrote:
Jonas wrote:

The GWD bosses are exceptions. In general, NPC's that have a long range attack will attack you from that long range regardless of whether or not you attacked them first or are attacking them back.

Example: Wyverns have 3 attack styles. Ranged, Melee, and Icy breath. As soon as you are within the Wyvern's aggressive range, it will attempt to attack you. If you are not within melee range, then it will use one of the two long range attacks. It will not walk into melee distance of your character at any point. The only time it will move is if you move to a location where you are no longer attackable by the NPC.

Example: Corporeal Beast has two attack styles. Melee and Magic. If you are out of his melee range, he will use only the magic attack. He will not move into melee range. If you move into his melee range, then he will use one of the two attacks at random.

So in terms of the general rules that should dictate what the majority of NPCs will do, Range and Magic NPCs should NOT walk up to you when attacking. Whether or not you attack them first or at all should have no effect on their pathing or attack choice.

All of the GWD bosses do seem to be exceptions to this rule. They all have multiple attack styles, but will walk into melee range. If you are out of melee range, they will use their long range attacks until they get within melee range. The minions however, will behave in the same way as standard NPCs. The melee minions will constantly attempt to get within melee distance of you while the mage and range minions will attack from their stationary point. This logic is indeed the basis for Armadyl and Saradomin GWD strategies on OSRS which can be seen in these short videos.
Spoiler: show