Major upcoming NPC pathfinding update

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Re: Major upcoming NPC pathfinding update

Post by Iron adam » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:00 pm

When there is an obstacle such as a fence in between your character and an NPC, it will have a hard time attacking it. It should find the shortest path around the obstacle and attack the target. I think this is more of an issue with the player's pathing than the NPC's

I think with these changes, or PvM pathing will have the potential to be better than OSRS.

Mike
Programmer

Re: Major upcoming NPC pathfinding update

Post by Mike » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 am

Admin adam wrote:
Jonas wrote:https://gyazo.com/155ac7cbbe49c100365c48af7b3bb88c
I quit. Broken game. FIX PATHING ty

jk
Not quite relevant to this thread, but still something that would be nice to get fixed. Happens with a lot of doors, gates, obstacles, etc. I can't even make it around the wildy agility course once without something messing up :p
I had encountered the same issue with the gate in the deep wilderness resource area and managed to make a fix for it quite some time ago . Now I've actually managed to make a more general fix, so it should work for all doors now.
I also think this issue only occured with "quick" doors, as in doors that you automatically walk through and close right behind you when you enter (such as the crafting guild door). Other doors should always have been fine. Of course, when players encounter doors that cannot be opened, they are welcome to report it to us. Most doors in the game don't have an actual use anyway.

Admin adam wrote:When there is an obstacle such as a fence in between your character and an NPC, it will have a hard time attacking it. It should find the shortest path around the obstacle and attack the target. I think this is more of an issue with the player's pathing than the NPC's

I think with these changes, or PvM pathing will have the potential to be better than OSRS.
Good find. However, it looks like this is a client-sided pathfinding fail - when a player is standing next to an NPC or object, but with a fence or wall in between, it will think you are standing where you need to be (instead of walking to the other side). I don't know how to fix this yet, but I'll keep this particular issue in mind. I'll see if I can work out something in a future client release.