11 January Updates - Bugfixes & QoL

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Stoikva
Known Venturer

Re: 11 January Updates - Bugfixes & QoL

Post by Stoikva » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 am

The ravi wrote:
Rapsey wrote:
The ravi wrote:Basically can only view your own topics on the forums soon. Great idea to make reports/appeals/STAFF REPORTS XD and now FEEDBACK XD
For you I should probably add an exception that you can't see anyone's topics anywhere.
You'd be a legend if you were able to do that.
Just saying though, important things are being hidden from others and I wouldn't expect less than having the jokes and other funny content section hidden too

The definitions
Feedback
a : the transmission of evaluative or corrective information about an action, event, or process to the original or controlling source; also : the information so transmitted
b : the partial reversion (see reversion 3a) of the effects of a process to its source or to a preceding stage

Discussion
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., especially to explore solutions; informal debate.

I would say that the previous system did not have a clear purpose for designated topics, With this line being vague the communication suffers due to the protocols being muddled. The new system however fixes this by addressing the main intentions of each topic. Logically nothing is lost from a communication point of view, You'll just have to adapt. And if it does turn out to be less effective then it'll probably be changed to make it better through trial and error.
Your eyes drawn to irregularities and then the video

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 am

@Rapsey how would you feel about a toggle specifically for threads in feedback to be public or not? So those who want to say something privately may, and vice versa.

Not sure how difficult that would be, but could be a nice idea. Could have like both ‘make private post’ and ‘make public post’ instead of just new post

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:30 am

The builder wrote:@Rapsey how would you feel about a toggle specifically for threads in feedback to be public or not? So those who want to say something privately may, and vice versa.

Not sure how difficult that would be, but could be a nice idea. Could have like both ‘make private post’ and ‘make public post’ instead of just new post
It would be quite a bit of work to make, probably too much for what it is. But if it's the only way to make people happy I might consider it. (read: I'm REALLY hoping it's not necessary so I can work on something more.. useful)

Might as well just make 2 subforums then, that would only take a minute.

Stoikva
Known Venturer

Post by Stoikva » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 am

Rapsey wrote:
The builder wrote:@Rapsey how would you feel about a toggle specifically for threads in feedback to be public or not? So those who want to say something privately may, and vice versa.

It would be quite a bit of work to make, probably too much for what it is. But if it's the only way to make people happy I might consider it. (read: I'm REALLY hoping it's not necessary so I can work on something more.. useful)

Might as well just make 2 subforums then, that would only take a minute.
would expanding the relevant SQL table to contain a bool per post do the trick? then the logic can be processed in php when ever it is filling a page with threads, and again in the thread page itself

what ever sql command is used to grab posts from the database could just be added a AND into is selector
Your eyes drawn to irregularities and then the video

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 am

I disliked the feedback section for it being public and the commenting was cringe anyway so imo it's a good change.

It's basically agreeing with the OP and nothing else since the replies will go through a staff filter anyway which feels slow and censored whether it is or not. The feedback doesn't need to be visible for all because you're not there for a (general) discussion but to give feedback. If it's truly feedback it being hidden for public is enough to get the message through without opening up whole discussions.

For example I would never make a feedback thread or comment with negative feedback if it's public. It will be controversial, so the amount of replies will be high and result in fiercer discussions. That won't work with the current system, so I like the change.

A toggle would be fine with me too, but I'm just all in for the new version since I might actually use it at all now for what it's there for and not just to make public asskissing posts lmao...
#Justice4Church

Migetmanz
Premium Donator

Post by Migetmanz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 am

sweet thanks mike!

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 am

Kpnc wrote: No Poison from the serpentine helmet killed the last mage before its phase. It's in the bug section :thumbsup:
Probably venom then. Thanks for informing me, I hadn't read that particular bug report yet. Thanks!

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:35 am

Stoikva wrote:would expanding the relevant SQL table to contain a bool per post do the trick? then the logic can be processed in php when ever it is filling a page with threads, and again in the thread page itself

what ever sql command is used to grab posts from the database could just be added a AND into is selector
That's more or less true, but it's only a tiny part of the puzzle. Changes need to be made to incorporate this into virtually every aspect of the forum software: not just creating and loading of posts/topics but also the overviews of new/unanswered/unread posts & active topics, the search functionality, the "last post" in a subforum, the forum subscription system, the internal caching mechanisms, the list goes on and on. And when it's all done you've basically just shot yourself in the foot because you now have so many custom changes scattered throughout the codebase it's become a nightmare to update when a new version is released.

So yeah, after careful consideration I've decided it really isn't worth it.

Simon
Honor Player

Post by Simon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 pm

I'd post an emoji to display my reaction to these updates, but......................

:)

unicode emoji

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:22 pm