The end of mass DC's, double XP weekend, hween event!

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

The end of mass DC's, double XP weekend, hween event!

Post by Mike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 am

Within the last hour, we have had 3 incidents of the server freezing up, causing all currently in-game accounts to stay logged in, but preventing anyone from logging in until we forcibly restart the server. Players who lost items or duels on the exact time of the freeze will need to post a ::refund to get their items back - please be as specific as possible and use the given format in the sticky to reclaim your lost items. Please accept our apologies for the trouble!

However, a few minutes ago, a good samaritan came forward to explain to us how he accidentally crashed the server all by himself once he realized he was the cause of it. Now that I'm able to easily and reliably reproduce the freezing up of the server, I have started working on a fix, which will be deployed shortly. What the exact cause was, will be revealed once the update has been deployed - we don't want people with ill intentions to abuse this information.
All indications point toward this kind of mass DC being of the exact same nature as one that happened once several months ago and another time last year. There was one other mass DC during the first hour of our Armadyl GWD event several weeks ago, but that was due to an unrelated bug in the event code which got patched within the hour. Such coding mishaps can happen but are extremely rare, and during that particular issue I have learned about something new to avoid in database-related code.

I really hope - but am honestly quite convinced - that the fix I'm about to deploy will once and for all put an end to mass DC's in PkHonor for good. In the 8 years since I have started working on the piece of trash code that was our server, never has it been truly free of mass DC's. But we always managed to make them occur less and less often. In the past year, we have had about 6 total (of which 3 in the same hour). 1 was caused by event code which we fixed right away, now the cause of the other 5 has been found and a fix underway. Good times!

To compensate for the mass DC's and to celebrate both the end of mass DC's and the 8 year mark since I first started working on PkHonor - 1 November 2009 - we're hitting our community up with a Double XP weekend starting in:

and ending in:

Ironman Mode players can participate in this. However, do note that within the next week, we'll be lowering a few XP rates that have become a whole lot easier to train because of the presets.

After that, on 31 October, we'll be releasing our Halloween event! Starting in:

ending in:

Death grips
Honor Player

Re: The end of server mass DC's

Post by Death grips » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 am

Double xp and Halloween event.. <3
This Dying World Gasps its Last Breath as we Turn off our Minds.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Re: The end of server mass DC's

Post by Iron adam » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:41 am

Good to see another big step forward for the server.

Time to bang out some of this construction and hunter too.

Fuck d trump
Premium Donator

Re: The end of mass DC's, double XP weekend, hween event!

Post by Fuck d trump » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 am

YES! Finally can get 99 con :D

Jon
Honor Player

Post by Jon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:34 am

Great news! although I have to work all weekend long for the first time in 3 months....
There goes my hopes for con lel

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:19 am

Maybe I'll try to gain some more exp. :badjokeeel:
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:56 am

*Nearly finishes construction*
Good news everybody, 2x exp!
*Opens window, jumps out*

These are awesome though Mike I'm really excited to see the results! After the bug is fixed would love an in-depth report of the cause, I find that kind of stuff really fascinating!

Also excited for hween :D

Nomad
Honor Player

Post by Nomad » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am

I would imagine this can save people around 60b or more in supplies, assuming someone can easily get 200-300m construction done in a weekend normally

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 am

Should be fun
#Justice4Church

Tk phat
Premium Donator

Post by Tk phat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:20 am

finally i can start my obby pure
when nasus tps