6 July updates

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
James
Premium Donator

Re: 6 July updates

Post by James » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:33 pm

I may be missing something here but isn't an honor getting hacked and the status being removed the exact same as any other account getting hacked? You can't just spawn another honor status and refund the person, much like they don't refund your items if the hacker staked them away.

Billy
Staff Consultant

Post by Billy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:40 pm

James wrote:I may be missing something here but isn't an honor getting hacked and the status being removed the exact same as any other account getting hacked? You can't just spawn another honor status and refund the person, much like they don't refund your items if the hacker staked them away.
+1

Grizzly mint
Premium Donator

Post by Grizzly mint » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Mike wrote:You can now cast Bind, Snare & Entangle on Implings & Butterflies to hold them in place. Normally, Snare can deal up to 2 damage and Entangle up to 5 damage, but when used against implings or butterflies, they will always deal 0 damage. The NPC's will not turn aggressive when bound, meaning this is a safe mechanic for skillers
i chuckled.

good work though. :thumbsup:

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Regarding the honor change, the main reason we did this is make it more convenient for players. Many of our players lack the patience to wait a few days or even hours to get their honor status removed. Some of them resort to account selling instead and end up getting banned for trying, scammed or scamming the other person by recovering the account. Of course it's also great to be able to lift some completely unnecessary weight off the shoulders of our admins, but mostly we just thought it would be nice if players no longer have to make a formal request and then wait for staff to get to it. IMO it's something we should've done years ago.
Adamthalion wrote:Ely rejected people all the time because they were not the original owner. That let people share their honors with others without the risk of losing the 30b cost of the status. Sure someone could change the password, but they wouldn't be able to take the wealth associated with the status from the account.
From what it sounds like, this update would allow people who share honors to steal the status even if they are not the original owner of the account. If there is no automatic IP check to ensure it is being removed by the original owner, then I don't think this is a good update. I understand that people shouldn't be sharing accounts in the first place, but this might create a lot of extra reports for staff to deal with.
More often than not the "original IP check" simply isn't possible. Only a minority has a static IP, people move, change ISP's and whatnot. If an honor account was created 3+ years ago (as many of them are) the odds of being able to match the original IP are very slim. Doesn't matter if the IP check is done by staff or by an automated system, it's not exactly something that can be relied on.
Tezey wrote:As rapsey said, accounts shouldn't be shared with people you don't trust. More log works for the mods, I'm sure they can use the experience. Less workload for the admins can lead to what Ryan is doing with the pvming thing and bonding with the community. I don't see a downside to this. In X amount of time no one will share their honors and the only problem left is that the prices go up, which isn't really a problem either.
I think if this leads to less account sharing then that's a very nice unintended side-effect. After all the staff honor removal service was never meant as a safety net to allow people to carelessly share accounts with everyone and their grandmother. You'll have to forgive me but from my perspective account sharing - especially with people you don't really trust - only leads to problems.

I highly doubt this will cause an increase in item price, even if the demand increases. The in-game prices of donator items are auto-balanced by the donators themselves. After all most donators are looking for the optimal gp-to-credits ratio. If the honor status were to become more valuable then donators will simply buy more of those instead of whips and mboxes. It doesn't lead to any more income for us but it does cause an increased supply to counter the increased demand, after which the price quickly returns to normal. We see this every time the demand for a donator item changes. The fact that they all have fixed credit prices always translates into more-or-less fixed item prices.
Sverre wrote:Well ofcourse you shouldn't share accounts because all the risk is yours then. But before there was no reason to not share a honor. The worst thing they could do is changepass and then you can easily get it back.
Yup, the old system all but encouraged people to share their honors. Not very ideal.
Azu rite wrote:The honor update seems like it would be easier for a hacker to get your status
Yes, in effect it does. But then I ask myself, why is it that honor accounts need this extra layer of protection where you need staff approval to take something off the account? None of the other account types get this and people tend to have way more wealth on their mains than the value of an honor ticket. It just lures people into a false sense of security. Having staff review the requests is no substitute for keeping your account secure.
I2aw origins wrote:In regards to honor statueses, if a player gets their honor hacked and they stake/sell the status, will the player who was hacked get it back?

If they get it back, then its fine. If they don't, then that's kinda bs..
It's just like any other account getting hacked. As it should be, IMO.
James wrote:I may be missing something here but isn't an honor getting hacked and the status being removed the exact same as any other account getting hacked? You can't just spawn another honor status and refund the person, much like they don't refund your items if the hacker staked them away.
Exactly.

Cadwalada
Premium Donator

Post by Cadwalada » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:49 pm

Quick question, if I had honor on an account, took it off therefore that account gets banned. Would I be able to put an honor account back on there in the future? Or is that not possible

Babe
Wise One

Post by Babe » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:55 am

Cadwalada wrote:Quick question, if I had honor on an account, took it off therefore that account gets banned. Would I be able to put an honor account back on there in the future? Or is that not possible
I tried unbanning MY old honor acc to put another honor stat and specified my intent but my appeal was reflected.
So no.

I2aw origins
Premium Donator

Post by I2aw origins » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:22 am

I get what you're saying but this just kinda promotes people "hacking" shared honors, and considering at least 1/2 of honors are shared I'd think that's a big deal. I mean I personally have access to like 4-5 honors, none of them belong to me and I wouldn't hack one, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who will.

That extra layer of security is kind of nice to have I guess.

Tezey
Honor Player

Post by Tezey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:47 am

I2aw origins wrote:
I get what you're saying but this just kinda promotes people "hacking" shared honors, and considering at least 1/2 of honors are shared I'd think that's a big deal. I mean I personally have access to like 4-5 honors, none of them belong to me and I wouldn't hack one, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who will.

That extra layer of security is kind of nice to have I guess.
You're not supposed share your accounts therefore there shouldn't be a problem with this new system.

Wir3d
Honor Player

Post by Wir3d » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:14 am

Paying 1b to have access to honor accounts, I'm a trust-able guy with max xp, i no scam.
An Iron Noob wrote:This server would be way more successful, have greater player retention, and better, more positive vibes if it weren't for Nazuths and roddycc.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Cadwalada wrote:Quick question, if I had honor on an account, took it off therefore that account gets banned. Would I be able to put an honor account back on there in the future? Or is that not possible
Same as before I think. Not automatically but staff can unban it in exchange for an honor ticket. I'm honestly not sure if they do this, but they can. If it's a common thing we can always add automation for that too. Of course that's only if you want the account back as an honor. It's not possible to get the account back without it being an honor. Once an honor, always an honor.

EDIT: Apparently staff can't unban them (yet).