20 May updates

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

20 May updates

Post by Mike » Sat May 20, 2017 6:28 pm

A few bugfixes related to yesterday's update:
  • Fixed a bug that caused Zulrah to randomly despawn when you kill it while dying yourself (or while logging out)
  • Zulrah's droptable has been slightly buffed
  • Zulrah's different forms now have more specific weaknesses versus ranged and magic attacks
  • Fixed the special attack of the Completionist Cape (Chaos)
  • Fixed the granite maul special attack against NPC's
  • Fixed the maximum hit of regular spells while wearing a Trident of The Seas (or Trident of The Swamp)

I would also like to address some issues and complaints that a few players have brought forward:

"I'm not getting any decent drops at Zulrah"

Zulrah is a safe boss, meaning there is no risk involved and the only expense is whatever supplies you use to kill it. We would preferably have made Zulrah a risky boss (at least to some extent), but players are simply used to it being safe in OSRS, which might cause a lot of confusion (and frustration) amongst players if we didn't make it that way.
One cannot expect a safe boss to be the most profitable boss in the game. The most profitable ones, you'll generally find in the wilderness. The reasons are quite obvious, since higher rewards require greater risks.

Secondly, it's always better to start off having too low droprates than too high. If a hundred players manage to obtain rare items and gain massive loots from a new boss, that's far more devastating to a game than it being the other way around. We keep re-evaluating and make small changes accordingly, to make sure we're not accidentally ruining our own game. Yes, that does mean bosses tend to give pretty crappy loot on release and become more profitable later on, but that's a small price to pay for the safety this approach offers.
Especially with the big 'NPC drop table revamp' that's upcoming, we'll make sure to once again evaluate the expenses & profitability of Zulrah to balance it further (along with all other NPC's).

"The toxic blowpipe & trident of the swamp aren't even the best weapons in the game"

Probably not. We made them work exactly the same way they did in OSRS (with the exception of the blowpipe offering no extra attack speed in PvM). In OSRS, I believe the toxic blowpipe is generally regarded as "the highest DPS weapon in the game", but that doesn't mean it should also be "the highest DPS weapon in PkHonor".
With all the items we already have in the game (such as Chaotics, Nex equipment, Statius, Vesta, Zuriel and Morrigan), it's not a surprise that these items do not always offer the highest DPS. Zulrah's items are focused around venom. They are best used to apply venom to the unwary player or monster. If you want the highest DPS, use a blowpipe (or trident of the swamp) along with a high hitting secondary weapon.

"The serpentine helm isn't even the best helm in the game"

Same reason as the blowpipe & trident of the swamp. The helm protects against poison and venom, which is its primary use (not to mention passively being able to apply venom to whomever hits you). Furthermore, it has the highest strength bonus of any helm in the game. It's not the best helm in every situation, nor is it supposed to be. But it does offer unique strengths which no other helm has.

We do not aim to make PkHonor into a game where there is only a single weapon that can be considered "the best weapon" or a single helm that can be considered "the best helm". Players need to make choices based on the circumstances.

If you were hoping to get to have Zulrah give you "the best new gear in PkHonor, ever", you've come to the wrong place. Power creep - as in, keeping on adding new items that are stronger in every way than all currently existing items - is a very real problem in many online games, our own included. We have no intention of making that problem even worse. Venom as a new combat mechanic offers extra variety to the game and has strengths and weaknesses of its own. There is absolutely no need to have the new items be the best in everything. That's just plain stupid, if you forgive the expression.

Iron reck
Premium Donator

Re: 20 May updates

Post by Iron reck » Sat May 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Mike wrote:A few bugfixes related to yesterday's update:
[*]Zulrah's droptable has been slightly buffed
just wondering was that bc of my post xD
ImageImage

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Sat May 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks for the updates Mike!

Just curious, what's next on the development team's plate?

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 pm

I would have liked Zulrah to require switching between mage and range. Right now it's easier to just camp range.
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sat May 20, 2017 6:37 pm

The builder wrote:Thanks for the updates Mike!

Just curious, what's next on the development team's plate?
Wilderness achievement diary, a new wilderness (mini)boss, some smaller PvP updates.

Color x wrote:I would have liked Zulrah to require switching between mage and range. Right now it's easier to just camp range.
I've made a few improvements on that as well in this update.

Morro
Novice

Post by Morro » Sat May 20, 2017 6:43 pm

another bug report

toxic trident, when you want to buy it in ge, it appears as decorative armour, so unbuyable.

also normal trident, i cannot trade it full nor empty.

also, when uncharging normal trident, i dont get my coins back

Simon
Honor Player

Post by Simon » Sat May 20, 2017 6:47 pm

@Mike

Is the chaos comp cape not affecting the trident's attack speed an intentional feature?

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sat May 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Morro wrote:another bug report

toxic trident, when you want to buy it in ge, it appears as decorative armour, so unbuyable.

also normal trident, i cannot trade it full nor empty.

also, when uncharging normal trident, i dont get my coins back
Thanks, these will be fixed in the next update. But please use the appropriate forum for these reports - we do actually read them.

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Sat May 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Mike wrote:I've made a few improvements on that as well in this update.
Perfect! Great work once again :D
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

A iron girl
Premium Donator

Post by A iron girl » Sat May 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Hey Mike,
Is it possible to test the blowpipe at the same bonus atk speed in pvm as osrs? I'm quite sure even then it won't be the best weapon in the game. Currently, there is so little incentive to use blowpipe (hard to get darts, as well as rune knives are higher dps than blowpipe)