Pathing rework & titan event

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

Pathing rework & titan event

Post by Mike » Fri May 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Updated on 20 May 2016
> Reworked the way following and pathing works: as of now, whenever you follow another player or NPC, you'll always run straight towards them (rather than retracing the path your target walked, sometimes causing you to go in a circle).
> Reworked the code that causes players to occasionally take 1 - 2 steps back when they click somewhere on the map while running diagonally. I'm not entirely sure my fix will work in every situation, but all my tests seem to indicate that it does work.
> Added barrows chests to your bookcase. However, we couldn't count the chests from the past since we never kept track of them until now.
> Ironman mode players can now get killcount when PK'ing in the wilderness
> A few minor Titan tweaks

Please do some more testing in regards to pathing and walking and let me know if there are still bugs or major annoyances with it that need to be looked at. Keep in mind that this is some of the most complex code in the whole server, so there's always a risk of bugs or glitches. As long as they're minor (and pathing/following works better than it used to), then it should be fine though.

Also, the Titan event is now over and all rewards have been distributed! See viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57200 for more info. Until the next time we organize one!

Mitchel
Honor Player

Re: Pathing rework & titan event

Post by Mitchel » Fri May 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Once again great work Mike!

Ruler
Honor Player

Post by Ruler » Fri May 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Barros in minigames yaaaaaaaaaah
Sad I don't got time for titan though

Hayden
Elite

Post by Hayden » Fri May 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Mike wrote:> Reworked the way following and pathing works: as of now, whenever you follow another player or NPC, you'll always run straight towards them (rather than retracing the path your target walked, sometimes causing you to go in a circle).
RIP the little bug thing where you follow each other and go in an infinite loop

Great work though, very pleased to see pathing progress being made so quickly

Migetmanz
Premium Donator

Post by Migetmanz » Fri May 20, 2016 6:37 pm

absolutely fantastic, thank you for all of your hard work :)

Hayden
Elite

Post by Hayden » Fri May 20, 2016 6:40 pm

I found a pathing glitch but I don't know how to explain it and I can't take a video, but I could show someone who can

edit; Just foudn another one, both concern going around corners.

edit2: showed mike ingame nvm

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri May 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Hayden wrote:I found a pathing glitch but I don't know how to explain it and I can't take a video, but I could show someone who can

> It's possible to get someone stuck behind a U-shape or in a corner (just like you can with NPC's). That's the biggest downside of the simplified following code. In the wilderness, it's usually not an issue though. I might try to work out a few tweaks to prevent this sort of behavior, but it'll be very hard without implementing an actual pathfinding algorithm server-sided (not to mention this costs a lot of processing power). If you get stuck, you can always click somewhere else to get unstuck, but I get that it can be a bit of an annoyance. Nothing major.

> There's still a bug with diagonal noclipping somewhere. It's been in the server ever since I added in noclipping, never really found the cause. Either there's a bug in the code for diagonal noclipping checks, or there's a minor glitch in the map dump that I use for the server-sided checks. But it's also very minor and not likely to cause any actual trouble.

Ely
Honor Player

Post by Ely » Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Nice work Mike!

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Fri May 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Mike wrote:
Hayden wrote:I found a pathing glitch but I don't know how to explain it and I can't take a video, but I could show someone who can

> It's possible to get someone stuck behind a U-shape or in a corner (just like you can with NPC's). That's the biggest downside of the simplified following code. In the wilderness, it's usually not an issue though. I might try to work out a few tweaks to prevent this sort of behavior, but it'll be very hard without implementing an actual pathfinding algorithm server-sided (not to mention this costs a lot of processing power). If you get stuck, you can always click somewhere else to get unstuck, but I get that it can be a bit of an annoyance. Nothing major.

> There's still a bug with diagonal noclipping somewhere. It's been in the server ever since I added in noclipping, never really found the cause. Either there's a bug in the code for diagonal noclipping checks, or there's a minor glitch in the map dump that I use for the server-sided checks. But it's also very minor and not likely to cause any actual trouble.
Bring back noclipping ;)

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Fri May 20, 2016 9:00 pm

The new pathing seems much smoother than the old version.
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.