PkHonor - a welcoming community?

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

PkHonor - a welcoming community?

Post by Mike » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Fellow members of the PkHonor community

As PkHonor evolves, so too does its community. Especially in recent months, I have noticed some interesting evolutions, both on the forums and in-game.
The matter of the fact is that some players have been here for quite some time. Some of you have been here for 2 years or even longer, which pretty much makes them veterans.
Yet when players are here for a long time, they almost always evolve into one of two different kinds of people.

The first kind - the good kind - are the ones who use their extensive knowledge of the game to help others and make PkHonor ever better. There are many of these players out there, and if you're one of those, you have my thanks. Keep up the good work.

The second kind however, have become problematic. They are the people who see themselves as being "better" than everyone else, because of their knowledge and experience and the fact they have been here longer than many others. They often complain about everything that's wrong (often without giving constructive feedback), while at the same time laughing at people's lack of knowledge, calling them dumb or noob, disagreeing with newer players their opinion because "you don't know what you're talking about" and acting as if they own the server.

The veterans who belong to the first group have nothing to fear. The ones who belong to the second group however, the ones who think they own this server and look down on others: be warned. In the coming months, I will ruthlessly and mercilessly hunt you down to extinction. I don't care if you have been a veteran for 4 years, if you act disrespectfully towards others (especially new players), expect to get ip-banned from both the forums and in-game, by me personally, possibly without warning.
PkHonor is supposed to be a welcoming place, where people can forget about their IRL issues and have some fun with other players. I will not allow people to disrupt others their experience - it's not what I made this server for.

If you belong to the second group, here are some pointers to avoid the banhammer:
-> Respect people's opinion even if it differs from yours. Just because you have more knowledge and experience with the game, doesn't mean we value your opinion more than that of a new player. Keep in mind: first impressions are very important too.

-> Don't enter pointless public arguments: if you have a quarrel or disagreement with another player, bring it to PM or report it to a moderator. Don't publicly argue with other people, unless both of you can do so in a civilized and respectful matter.

-> Don't look down on other people, no matter who they are. Remember, you were once a newbie too. Also: the person on the other side of the internet is a human very much like yourself. If you weren't behind computer screens but would actually be talking face to face to the other person, you'd definitely be more respectful towards each other - and not just out of fear of getting punched in the face. It's how people are supposed to treat each other, even on the internet.

-> Don't respond to baits or insults. If you insult someone else because they insulted you, you're in as much fault as they are. Instead, ignore said player and report them.

If everyone manages to follow the above pointers, as well as abide by our rules, PkHonor would be a much more enjoyable and welcoming community. Remember, the more players, the more fun. If I need to ip-ban a dozen veterans just to make PkHonor a more welcoming place for new players, so be it.

Thank you for your understanding and your cooperation.

Kalista
Honor Player

Re: PkHonor - a welcoming community?

Post by Kalista » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Just wondering, am I in the second group? I don't see myself as being one but id like to just know if you believe me to be one, so I can more actively change. I'll definitely keep those guidelines in mind though, sorry if I was a problem

Leviathans
Premium Donator

Post by Leviathans » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Name and shame the second group.
Mike wrote: In your dreams fagget.

Ziaw
Premium Donator

Post by Ziaw » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Good to hear, it's going to be nice to see a change in the community. I have to admit I probably are a part of the 2nd group but I will try my hardest to change my bad attitude as of late.
but botting is bad and you should NEVER do it

Pure sephy
Premium Donator

Post by Pure sephy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Doesn't an IP-Ban seem a tad... Harsh?

Personally, I think it warrants an IP-Mute at the most.

But then again, it isn't my server.

Either way, the staff team can deal with these people. You have a quest to develop.
My awful signature. Really feeling that CoolText font.

Jon
Honor Player

Post by Jon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

This'll be a nice change to the community. Hope it works out, and I hope to see Mike enforce his rules on those who do not change.

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:11 pm

I really hope this works out the way it is supposed to be.
Best of luck with this!
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Ruler
Honor Player

Post by Ruler » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Hope this will change the community Mike!

Could you possibly give a notificiation upon logging in with this thread? That way everyone gets tge message and doesn't miss this thread...

Kalista
Honor Player

Post by Kalista » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Pure sephy wrote:Doesn't an IP-Ban seem a tad... Harsh?

Either way, the staff team can deal with these people. You have a quest to develop.
He wants to remove the second group like he removed Sam etc, an ipmute won't work for what he wants to do.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Hentai yum wrote:Just wondering, am I in the second group? I don't see myself as being one but id like to just know if you believe me to be one, so I can more actively change. I'll definitely keep those guidelines in mind though, sorry if I was a problem
Yes, you are in the second group. Which means you'll need to work on your attitude and behavior if you intend to stay on PkHonor. However, it wasn't solely meant for you, and I don't mean to target anyone in particular. The people whom I target probably know who they are anyways.

Hentai yum wrote:
Pure sephy wrote:Doesn't an IP-Ban seem a tad... Harsh?

He wants to remove the second group like he removed Sam etc, an ipmute won't work for what he wants to do.
That, and I think the people I have aimed my thread towards have already had their chances at improving their behavior. As usual, it's only a select few people, but it needs to happen nonetheless.
It might be harsh, but it's not like a warning or a mute is going to make them behave differently, instead they will complain even more about their punishments, so I'd much rather just get it over with and remove them from the community altogether. That saves us quite some drama, and seriously improves the community altogether - so I see no bad side to it.
Sucks for those people, but it's karma. They should've learned not to act like douchebags.

I will probably issue warnings before issuing ipbans, but for some I might decide that it's been enough and remove them without warning.