Todays Updates! (13 February 2014)

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Kory pk
Premium Donator

Re: Todays Updates! (3 February 2014)

Post by Kory pk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:54 am

I2aw origins wrote:Basically what Justin said, it's not ::fart that's directly causing it because the server will ignore messages that are being sent too frequently. I can't tell you how PkHonor is programmed in regards to commands & messages, but from my experience using PI clients & sources I have never effectively been able to do any type of lag or damage to a server with simple commands. There's an unrelated underlying cause to the nulls, it's a pure coincidence that when you spam ::fart that it's nulling the server.
I know it isn't ::fart in general, it's the overload of a timed command I'm pretty sure. It didn't work with ::l0lwut because there is no timer on it and therefore the command can be executed instantly. But with ::fart it has a timer and performs this animation which doesn't cancel each time it's used, so it stacks up and overloads.

There are probably several other commands that can cause the same damage.

Hayden
Elite

Post by Hayden » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 am

Kory pk wrote:
I2aw origins wrote:Basically what Justin said, it's not ::fart that's directly causing it because the server will ignore messages that are being sent too frequently. I can't tell you how PkHonor is programmed in regards to commands & messages, but from my experience using PI clients & sources I have never effectively been able to do any type of lag or damage to a server with simple commands. There's an unrelated underlying cause to the nulls, it's a pure coincidence that when you spam ::fart that it's nulling the server.
I know it isn't ::fart in general, it's the overload of a timed command I'm pretty sure. It didn't work with ::l0lwut because there is no timer on it and therefore the command can be executed instantly. But with ::fart it has a timer and performs this animation which doesn't cancel each time it's used, so it stacks up and overloads.

Maybe try it with other commands that have animations like ::hail

Kory pk
Premium Donator

Post by Kory pk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:01 am

Hayden wrote:
Kory pk wrote:

Maybe try it with other commands that have animations like ::hail
I don't think I should go nulling the server lol.

Justin
Champion

Post by Justin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:05 am

Even if the commands "stack" that wouldn't cause the server to NULL at very most it could cause lagg.

Kory pk
Premium Donator

Post by Kory pk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:06 am

Obsidia wrote:Even if the commands "stack" that wouldn't cause the server to NULL at very most it could cause lagg.
And what happens when the stack gets too large to handle? I'm pretty sure that's what causes it :\

Justin
Champion

Post by Justin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:14 am

Kory pk wrote:
Obsidia wrote:Even if the commands "stack" that wouldn't cause the server to NULL at very most it could cause lagg.
And what happens when the stack gets too large to handle? I'm pretty sure that's what causes it :\
That depends on what exactly you mean by "stack".

Kory pk
Premium Donator

Post by Kory pk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 am

Obsidia wrote:
Kory pk wrote:
That depends on what exactly you mean by "stack".
I mean if I type ::fart, then ::fart right away. The second one should 'get in line' and wait till the first one is done. And If the command is being run at 1000's of times per second then the 'stack' gets very large, very fast.

EDIT: Actually, it might not work like this, it might just execute the command at the pace it's able to. And that's why the animation will stutter. It has something to do with it not being able to keep up with the amount of animations, I think........

Justin
Champion

Post by Justin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 am

Kory pk wrote:
I mean if I type ::fart, then ::fart right away. The second one should 'get in line' and wait till the first one is done. And If the command is being run at 1000's of times per second then the 'stack' gets very large, very fast.

EDIT: Actually, it might not work like this, it might just execute the command at the pace it's able to. And that's why the animation will stutter. It has something to do with it not being able to keep up with the amount of animations, I think........
That's very unlikely.

Ak killem

Post by Ak killem » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:59 am

Kory pk wrote:
Obsidia wrote:
Kory pk wrote:

Not fighting your point or idea at all Kory, but still an animation really isn't server heavy is it? I feel like a simple animation does very little to effect latency / stress the server as animations are running 24/7 for all 400+ people on every client, on ever bit of the server and we're aces until something at a random point of the night seems to take a dump on the server. I have no clues as it's been a while since I've been in the RSPS scene but still I'm just adding a bit! :D
AK Killem | PvM Pro Main
Check out: Ak Killem's Goals & Achievements
My first guide: [NEW] Black Dragon's Revamped - Maximize Your Profit [100M+]
*TOTAL # OF DRACONIC VISAGES COLLECTED: 26.

Kory pk
Premium Donator

Post by Kory pk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Ak killem wrote: Not fighting your point or idea at all Kory, but still an animation really isn't server heavy is it? I feel like a simple animation does very little to effect latency / stress the server as animations are running 24/7 for all 400+ people on every client, on ever bit of the server and we're aces until something at a random point of the night seems to take a dump on the server. I have no clues as it's been a while since I've been in the RSPS scene but still I'm just adding a bit! :D
Like I said, I really have no idea what makes this command cause it. I'm just throwing ideas out there so maybe someone with some knowledge on the case will show up and correct me :P But to someone like who has very little Java background, it would seem likely.